Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tow mode questions...

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
I just bought a 04 Titan and I love this "beast" so I guess I'm a "newbie". I've seen a lot of posts that mention to use the Tow Mode on 4th gear. Now the questions that I have are;
Do you turn on the Tow Mode on and then just put in 4th or do you go shifting manually from 1st up to 4th?
The other question is there anything wrong if you just put in Drive with the Tow Mode?
I'm towing a small travel trailer no more than 3,200 lbs. fully loaded. The truck didn't have the owner's manual when i got it so that's why I'm here asking.

#2 ·
Just turn on Tow Mode whenever you want. It only holds the RPM in the first three gears. With a trailer that light you could probably get away with leaving it in D but if you notice the transmission temperature creeping up then shift down. If you don't have a transmission temperature gauge (only on the Tow package equipped Titans) then play it safe and keep it in 4th.

#3 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought. I wasn't too worried about it since the trailer is not that heavy. I just wanted to be sure. But if I use 4th in the tow mode, do I switch to it from D or do I need to shift the gears as if it was a manual transmission?

#4 ·
Set it in D or 4 and let the transmission do its thing. If you manually shift then Tow Mode is useless.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.