Nissan Titan Forum banner

Towing Issues

37K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
I have a question that possibly someone could help me with. I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I am towing a small 3900 pound travel trailer with my new 2011 Titan Pro 4x. (The truck is equipped with tow package, tow mode, etc.) The truck performs fine until I hit 4th gear, then it bogs down and loses RPMs immediately and I end up back in 3rd gear. The truck flies in gears one through three, but it really hits a wall in 4th. When it shifts to 4th it drops about 1500 RPMs. I have two questions. 1) Is anyone having this no power in 4th gear problem with a light load like this? And (2) Will it hurt the engine to run at 60+ miles an hour in 3rd gear at 3500 rpms for a long period of time? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Have your fuel pump pressure checked. It should be near 51 PSI. There have been problems with the pumps, especially if you often let fuel levels get very low.

#4 ·
The only time my truck has ever done anything like that is when i accidentally ran it in OD. Once I put it back into 4th I have no problems with it. I have noticed it seems to shift too soon, in my opinion, into 4th at lower speeds which can make it seem like it is bogging down a little. I know it shifts through the gears a lot quicker than my 04 did.

#5 ·
Ok...The 2010+ Titans got new torque converter mapping and it is extremely intrusive. Especially when towing or accelerating onto the interstate. I have a center shifter so what I do is hold it in 4th (torque converter still locks) until I hit 60mph were I shift into D under normal driving conditions. I towed 4500lbs in 4th, in a non BT and she did fine.

What happens when it bogs down is...at approx 40-45mph under "normal" acceleration, the trans shifts into 4th, then locks the torque converter, almost immediately unlocks and shifts to 5th, then locks out in OD again. Idk why nissan designed it like this but they are the engineers so I dont question. I do know the purpose is to increase gas mileage, reduce transmission temps, and increase energy usage (i.e. reduce slippage). Just for the record, your truck is operating as designed I promise. Dont leave it in 3rd at 60mph...eventually the trans will overheat. Hold your trans in 4th once you get to cruising speed or you see the trans getting hot. Allow the torque converter to lock in 4th...and at 60 mph it will hold you rpms at around 1800-1900rpms (2.94), and 2000-2100rpm, i think, (3.36) which is a perfect rpm for cruising with a load. Keeps it in the power band better. To accelerate, slowly depress the pedal and it will gain speed...just be patient. If you want to unlock, double pump the gas or increase pedal input % to at least 50%. I know the truck tends to shimmy a little when trying to accelerate but thats just do to engine speed. Its a good towing truck you just have to learn how she likes it.

#31 ·
I can understand why nissan changed the programming for the torque convertor it just sounds like they over did it. My 06 has the tow package, I tow a 34' 8000# fifth wheel and in 4th gear the convertor won't lock up until around 57 mph. If I stay between 50 and 55 I can see the trans temp fluctuate. Once I get to the speed for it to lock the temp drops to where it always runs when I'm not towing. You know people with cell phones stuck in there ear can't seem to maintain the speed limit so unless I'm on the interstate my trans temp is running a little above normal.
I agree with the OP once it locks in it feels like it has less power but If I give it a little gas it slowly accelerates, then if I give it more it unlocks and at least sounds like it's pulling better. I wish mine would lock in around 53 mph, would be better for the driving conditions I have to deal with.
James

#6 ·
That's a pretty weird explanation. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think it's weird.

#8 ·
If you have not drove, particularly towed with a 2010+...then it would be weird. Ive owned an '08 and '10 and there is a HUGE difference in the transmission/TC mapping. First 6 months I fought the dealer cause I thought there was something wrong. There has been a couple threads on here or/and TT having to do with this subject. If you watch listen and feel, you can feel and see (tach) what I was saying.

#9 ·
I am going with the transmission is locking the torque converter in 4th like it's supposed to do. I bet when you ease into the throttle while in 4th the rpms don't go up do they?this means the torque converter is locked in. If you ease into the throttle in 3rd gear I bet the rpms jump up immediately the drop back down as you release some pressure off of the throttle. This means the torque converter is not locked. Its kind of like having a stall converter in the tranny instead of the standard oem TQ.

#15 ·
I guess I'm not completely getting the "locked" thing. But, when the truck is shifting through the gears going from first through third, it runs like it's barely towing anything. And I noticed as it goes through those gears, when it up shifts it seems to drop about 500 rpms when it goes into the higher gear. But, when it shifts into 4th, it drops about 1,500 rpms and its like hitting a wall. It loses speed, and the only way to get back up to speed is by hitting the throttle and downshifting into third. On flat ground it will barely maintain 60 to 65 mph in 4th, but if I hit anything that's slightly up hill, forget it.

#11 ·
I'm not making fun of you guys but it sounds like Nissan needs to send 2010+ Titan owners to a class before they drive off the lot.

#12 ·
Or just put it back to the way it was before. If they wanna save gas, they need to add more higher end gears and add more function to the "Tow Mode" button, not go jacking with the TC. There's a reason Mercedes, Audi, & BMW are using 7-sp transmissions and getting superior MPG, someone should get the hint (Nissan).

#13 ·
Have you ever seen a 1/2 ton pickup truck with more than 5 gears in an automatic? There is a reason for not having more and more gears. The biggest one I can come up with now is the tranny would run hot as hell while pulling any trailer or any heavy load with it. It would be shifting gears constantly thus building up more heat. The way to get better mileage is drive as close to the speed limit as possible especially when on the highway. Build a a stronger more durable tranny and rear axle and pull more hp and tq from the engine. All of these together will make abjure fuel economy difference.
Before I got my Titan early in 06 I had a 2000 model f-150 svt lightening. I did a hand full of power upgrades including a cai, full 3" exhaust and I got a slightly smaller pulley for the eaton fuller bottleneck supercharger. The last time I had it on a dynojet I was making rite around 480hp to the tires. That number may be a little off but it is close and it's been several years and I just don't remember the numbers very well. I know the 480 is rite actually because I was pissed I didn't hit the 500 mark. That was my goal.
The point of all that useless info I just typed out is I could get over 22mpg on the highway with that truck running 80-90 mph and closer to 24-25 mpg if I went the speed limit. Even when o would pull my jet ski to the lake and back I would still get over 20 mpg at the 70-80mph range. All of the extra hp will help if you can keep your foot out of it. Honestly, I shouldn't be the one to talk about driving the speed limit as I have the tickets to prove it.
If you ever want to have some real fun you need to get a 98-2001 ford lightening and race mustang cobras and z-28s while pulling a jet ski. They just don't know what to do when I would kill them while pulling around a thousand pounds of jet ski and trailer.

#16 ·
Have you ever seen a 1/2 ton pickup truck with more than 5 gears in an automatic? There is a reason for not having more and more gears. The biggest one I can come up with now is the tranny would run hot as hell while pulling any trailer or any heavy load with it. It would be shifting gears constantly thus building up more heat. The way to get better mileage is drive as close to the speed limit as possible especially when on the highway. Build a a stronger more durable tranny and rear axle and pull more hp and tq from the engine. All of these together will make abjure fuel economy difference. trailer.
I doubt there's a valid reason. I drove some Freightliner and International Autoshift Semi-Trucks that got about the same MPG hauling a fully loaded trailer as a Titan on 35's gets. I think that if a Semi Truck hauling a 18-30 ton load can handle an Automatic transmission, a little ol' 1/2 ton shouldn't have any problems with it.

#18 ·
well brother i think something is wrong with your titan then. i have a 2011 non bog tow titan and i tow a 25' travel trailer that weighs i belive 4800lbs. i have traveled all across the south with it and i leave mine in over drive just about all the time. it tows just fine staying at 65-67 mph all the time. sounds like its time to hit up a dealership if i was you

#19 ·
Had an '05 I bought brand new in Anchorage AK. It was non big tow, but it was a 4x4 off road, so it had the same gears. I towed a 6500lb trailer when I moved back to TX. I had ZERO issues towing and accelerating up the steepest of the Canadian Rockies. I now have an 07 with the big tow, but have yet to tow anything (Bought used in Feb.). I have not seen any acceleration issues there either. I would believe the people posting about the 2010's and up.

#21 ·
I went from an 04 to an 11 and found the same thing as VK56DEHAN and 04offroadtitan. I tow a 29 foot Puma Den trailer which takes the Titan towing to the limit. It's annoying and unusual, especially up long hills.

#24 ·
Just got back from Dealer regarding towing issues. Service Manager admitted that someone had just come in yesterday with a 2011 Titan with the same issues. They ran all of their tests, spoke to Nissan directly, and told me the truck was "fine". So I have a very expensive truck that will not tow a 3800 lb. trailer. Off to consumer affairs I go. I will be sure to keep everyone up to date on this one. If you know anyone considering the purchase of a 2011 Titan, I would warn them about this.

#25 ·
Spoke to a very helpful person named Kim at Nissan consumer affairs. Dealer and Nissan engineers are all involved as well. Everyone seems to be very eager to solve this issue for me. Honestly due to some of my experiences with Car Companies in the past, I was skeptical. But, so far so good. I'm hoping they can find a fix because I shopped around and drove everything and I really like this truck.

#27 ·
I have a 2011 pro 4X an tow a 29 an a half foot fifth wheel which is over the 9500 pounds. Tows it with no problems at all. Asked the dealer about it being heavier then the rated weight of the truck an they told me it was no problem an to just get an add a leaf but I opted for airbags. But all that said I have no loss of power what so ever.
Good luck with getting that solved

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#28 ·
How in the world can there be such a difference? Something is obviously wrong with mine. I spoke with my dealer today, though, and they told me that the techs at Nissan were working on something for my truck. So it sounds like there are some issues somewhere. It's just weird that in every day driving, the thing runs like a bat out of hell, but put a little weight on it and nothing! Wish me luck.

#29 ·
I have used my 06 for towing since it had less then a 1000 miles.. I have towed single and dual PWC trailers,, 2 differant horse trailers and my boat is the largest load.. 7000 pounds on the trailer.. I set cruise at 68 mph,, just under 2000 rpm in "D".. By shifting down to 4-th then 3-rd I will maintain the 68 mph but tach will stay around 3900-4000 for duration of hill.. 6hours and 320 miles eachway.. Ffor the past 6 summers.. I purchased the truck with tow package and I tow all things within it's wieght class

#35 ·
Can I sue an apartment complex for towing my car away with a visitors parking permit & not enough guess parking ?
My car was parked in a vacant apartment parking spot (specific apartment was also vacant, no one lives there), which I park in that spot just about everyday. Also this apartment complex has limited guest parking spaces (about a good 10 from my count), which were all taken already. Some of these cars parked in the guest spaces are living residents with extra cars or extra people living there and don't have assigned spots. Also some of the apartment housings have up to 4 parking spaces when others just have 1. I never have had any problems in the past parking there, no threats, no notes. I would like to know if there is something I can do ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.