Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear Axle Ring and Pinion Failure!

16K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  cmanspeak 
#1 ·
Ok so yesterday I left work and was on my way home, when I approached a gas station where a lady refused to turn into the entrance because of a car leave was slightly away from the curb (she had plenty of room btw). Needless to say she was waving me to go around in the middle of the dang road, so I did well when switching lanes a truck was approaching me, so I floored the truck well i heard an explosion and then no power to the wheels. I coast into the gas station and get under the truck to see the diff. cover bulging out. I get back to my office and remove the cover to see all the teeth on the pinion laying in the bottom and half of the ring gear teeth missing. At this point I don't have a ton of money to fix, any idea of the most cost affective way to approach this repair? Some pictures below show damage.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you don't want replace it with a used rear end or buying from the dealership you could do the following.

Detroit Trutrac
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/tit...ferential-with-races-and-bearings-p-5912.html

Rear diff cover
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/titan-maghytec-rear-differential-cover-p-5959.html

Ring and pinion
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/294-29-titan-rear-ring-pinion-p-6437.html

There is probably some other stuff I missed that you might need, but with this you would not have to worry about it happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Looks like your spider gears broke in half and got caught in the ring gear. Unfortunately you will need a new carrier, new ring gear, and new pinion gear, along with a new dif cover. In all honesty, your best bet would likely be to find a used axle for $1500 or so rather than trying to rebuild your current axle. Your pinion seal may or may not be intact, and if that is blown as well, then your repair would likely be more costly than a used axle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck with the fix!

#8 ·
I know of the dreaded rear axle seal issue but never a rear end exploding. anyone know how this happens?

#10 ·
Man i took it apart today and the pinion and ring gear are fine. The two gear on the end if the axle shaft splines are fine. the other two spiders gears inside the LSD are shattered into a bunch of pieces. now the damage is strange to me. Most of the time the ring and pinion break am I right?

#11 ·
Man...never seen one disintergrate like that...sucks.
justdifferentials (site sponsor) just posted that they have full axle assys...might give them a try.

#12 ·
The spider gears is what breakers in the 04-07 axles, this would be the first for the improved 08-Up design.

Guess Nissan only improved the axle bearings and seals and left the carrier with the same weak spider gears.

#13 ·
Yeah, unfortunately that's a common failure for the spider gears to disintegrate like that. I have seen quite a few in my days. And you are correct, the '08+ have the exact same spider gears as the '05-07 Titans. It was only the axle seals and bearings that were changed in 2008. The early '04 rear ends had an even crappier spider gear design, but mid '05 model year to current is all the same as far as carrier design. Anyway, it's a good thing your R&P gears survived. Just grab yourself a truetrac or ARB air locker and it will be better than new. Good luck!

#14 ·
with the ring and pinion still intake if I purchased a trutrac will i need to do any shimming or alignment?

#15 ·
#16 ·
at stealership have warranty and noticed i have no axle vent so i may not be 2 far behind you. they're trying to charge me to check oil in diff and put in vent/ breather and assess they're ignorence when they actually worked on my rear end b4 i bought truck since i bought warranty. if nothings broke its not covered so dumb:duh:

#17 ·
I have an 04 2 wheel drive. At around 120k..one afternoon heading home from work the rearend started with a wining noise...then a metal on metal grind,...turned it around midway home and started back to work....about 25mins in - a pop noise as I pulled back into work.....NOT GOOD
Was sooo pissed at Nissan, I wrote a letter to corporate. Got a Rep that said,...well its out of warranty? I said check out the web,...their are a lot of these same rearend malfunction issues with faithful Titan owners!! Didn't care
I certainly did not want another Nissan OEM replacement!!
I found a differential company that developed a stronger true Dana 60\44 set up with 3:31 gears-LOVE IT...LOVE IT!! Its a costly expense, but I did'nt want this to happen again!
I'm a die hard Titan owner....can't seem to put it up for sale-It just does everything I throw at it and more!!