Nissan Titan Forum banner

Buying a Titan: Gear ratios, towing, & radio ???'s

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Davidzog 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to purchase a 2012 Nissan Titan SV. There are two to choose from and the main difference is the SV Premium Utility Package. In that package is the gear ratio changing and adding the Rockford Fosgate premium sound.

My questions are:

1. I will be doing some towing during the first year of owning the truck, not much beyond that...What gear ratio do I want (2.94 or 3.35) for towing and reliability?

2. Is the Rockford Fosgate system much better than the stock 6-speaker sound system?

3. Is a discounted price of $29,690 before tax a decent price for a crew cab SV with two option packages on it?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have the 3.35 in my truck and it tows excellent of course burning a little more fuel. I have the six speaker system (non rockford) in my truck and it was all right, but kick *** with a aftermarket amplifier on them. I paid $29k for mine which was an XE at the time, so i'm assuming thats the middle model now so i'd say, yes decent price.

#5 ·
I just bought the exact same truck about three weeks ago....paid about $28k with all the discounts.

Mine has the 2.94 gears, but this is what I found before I bought it. Shifitng into 4th gear with the tow mode is supposed to give an effective gear ratio of 3.73, due to the transmissioon gearing.

I bought it to tow our 4900 pound trailer and lots of folks have said it will be no problem..

We had a big 5th wuheel that we traded and I was glad to get rid of the F250 I had....with the 5.4 it was pathetically underpowered and was a super gas hog. Going up a moderate hill empty, it woould gear down and still lose speed going up the hill...miserable.

The Titan takes the same and bigger hills without dropping out of overdrive and I can press on the gas and gain a little speed going up hill....obviously more torque and better gearing than the F250 that had the 3.73 gears.

I also looked at a 2012 SL but it was about $8-9k more....while I like leather seats, the rest of the ad-ons were not enough to be worth the extra money to me. I found I could buy after market leather for $600 or less, and the SV radio is very adequate for me.

After 1,100 miles, I am very happy with the Titam....I got a high of 17.2 mpg hiway, and I am averaging 15.1 mpg average driving, mostly on two lane roads. It rides great for a truck, has plenty of power, and is very comfortable.

My wife got really mad when her head slamed into the passenger door window twice in the super duty when on a rough country road...I knew that was the end of that truck for us...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.