Nissan Titan Forum banner

Loss of power while accelerating.

52K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Canadian Miner 
#1 ·
Looking for your opinion or if you had the same problem. I was doing about 65 while pulling a trailer (2,500 lbs +/-) and suddenly I felt some jerking when I stepped on it to pass slower traffic. It kept on doing it for a while during my trip. As soon as I got off the highway and got to a red light the truck began to lack power and actually backed fired a couple of times. I think is something with the fuel system but since I just got this truck (2004) I don't know if any of you guys have had the same experience. I'm driving home tomorrow and hopefully this doesn't happen again. I did refill the tank with premium fuel and added a bottle of complete fuel system cleaner. Hopefully that would do the trick. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
Loss of power

I'm not sure by what you describe but we do have a Technical Service Bulletin on our IPDM relay starting to short out. When that happens, the truck goes into safe mode.

Have them replace it.

#7 ·
Ok so I made it home ok but the truck did sputter a couple of times near the end of my trip. The service engine light came on, I had my scanner in the truck and it read P1446 which from I've read here is an evaporation canister malfunction. Could this be making the truck feel like the injectors are dirty and making the truck sputter or is it just pure coinsidence that it came on?

#8 ·
Change the ipdm module. Not just the relay. My 04 was doing the same exact thing. Researched and i came to the conclusion that the ipdm relay shorts out which controls gas flow and other stuff. My truck did the same thing in between 65-70 mph while passing 2500 rpms.

The relay change i did and it lasted a month. Also if you turn the key and the truck don't start and it takes more then one try thats also signs of bad ipdm module.

Ordered my whole ipdm with cover for 330 to my door. It should be here this week.

#9 ·
I hope I don't have to order the entire module, but I will be replacing the relay this week and changing the evap. valve that sent the P1446 code. Hopefully by doing this and changing the spark plugs the truck will be ok. This is not the time of the year that I want to spend more money than I have to.

#11 ·
Well I did the following things to the truck. Changed the spark plugs, changed the IPDM relay, changed the evap valve and added the filter kit (all nissan), and the last thing I changed was the fuel pump (also nissan, it was only $25 more than the aftermarket). The truck is driving smooth and I feel that it has more power. The code came back but I read somewhere that the are a few more things that could be causing it to go on. One could build up of moisture inside the evap canister, which I did not check before I changed the valve. The other could be a seal that may not be fitting correctly after the fuel pump was replaced. They seem to loose their shape and when you replace the pump they don't fit back exactly right. I will probably take care of this by next week, after the 21st, since the end of the world is near, I don't want to spend more money ;-)

#13 ·
Yes there is a TSB for low pressure from the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.