Nissan Titan Forum banner

Squeaking Front end!@#$!@#%

25K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  DeepH20_05 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted but I've got an issue with the truck and am looking for help to resolve it.

I have this awful squeak since I got my truck back from the shop after having the starter replaced a couple weeks ago. It didn't happen right away when I left, otherwise I would have brought it back.

Anyway, it occurs only on the L side. It happens only when I go over smaller bumbs (holes, manholes, etc) and not over larger slower bumps like speed bumps. I hear it most often when I'm turning and go over a bump, either left or right. I have also heard it when doing a slow turn, again either direction, while going at a slow speed.

I tried checking things after I changed my brakes yesterday in the front, but coudn't get anything to make a sound while there as I couldn'''t obviously make the same sort of pressure the truck makes in turns...lol.

I do need to buy new shocks soon, however after having a new starter put in, I don't really have the money.

It's pretty annoying so any help would be appreciated. If there is anything I can do as far as trying to lubricate things (suspension wise) and what to lubricate it with that might help would be great as well.

Thanks for any help ya'll!

and here's a short video of what the squeak sounds like:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the sway bar bushing. Try lubing 'em up a bit.

#4 ·
I just replaced my sway bar bushings due to the same squeaking, no more squeaking! Also, put some lithium grease on my PRG end links, because they were making a noise to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
Well.... lubed up the bushings and the end links and there's still a squeak. Tomorrow I'll just eliminate the sway bar completely and see if that's still the problem and if it isn't then I'll guess it's the struts.

#7 ·
Update:

Well, after greasing the sway bar bushings and end links, I still ended up having a squeak in the L front of the truck. I was prepared this weekend to take the sway bar off completely to see if that was cause. But then this...

As I was driving up to someone's house for work, I pulled a right into their lot which to my dismay was met by a lot of squeaking (how embarrassing!) Anyway, where I had parked was kind of pitched on the right while the left side dipped a little. When I opened and shut the door I heard the squeak again... which had not happened before. I have never been able to reproduce the sound unless driving. Not jumping up and down, not swaying the truck... NOTHING! But here today there was the squeak with the door shutting...

So after I had visited with the people I went to see, I went to leave but before I did I wanted to see if I could reproduce the sound by shutting the door, and I did. And then I pushed up and down on the L bumper and then a squeak again. So I decided to pop the hood to see where the sound was coming from while I was jostling the truck up and down. After shaking the truck up and down a bit I saw the metal shield for the AEM intake moving around. Apparently, when the guys at the dealership replaced the starter, I guess they forgot to bolt the box to the intake down when all was said and done. So the metal had been moving and scraping inside the engine bay against the fenderwell.

So I tightened everything back down and wouldn't you know it... the squeak is all gone. WTF!!!

I guess it's better than having to replace the struts... although the shocks still need to be replaced... LOL!

#8 ·
That's a new one. Glad you found it. Even better that it was a simple fix. Other than the frustration.

#9 ·
Seriously! I felt like such an idiot, but then again, it wasn't me that unbolted the box. Why they did that to remove the intake manifold I'm not sure, but that's what it was. No more squeaky squeaky... So hopefully I can save up to buy some new shocks for the front as I think the OEM ones are shot.

#10 ·
Happens to us all. I chased a annoying rattle for over a month thinking it was suspension related. Ended up being a rattling license plate frame. If you haven't rresearched shocks yet, I'd suggest checking out the Bilstein 5100's. Best shock for the money available for the Titan hands down.

#11 ·
I actually have those in the rear and was thinking that I was going to get those for the front as well. Are the 5100s the same for 4x2 and 4x4? I noticed a huge difference over stock just replacing the rear ones... the ones in the front are in a definite need for an upgrade.

#12 ·
Yeah they are a one size fits all since all you do is swap your existing coils on to them. However, if your 4x2 you can use 4x4 coils for additional height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.