Nissan Titan Forum banner

Lifted Titan CV Boot Replacement

17K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  titan_boomer 
#1 ·
As some of you know, the passenger side upper CV boot rubs on itself and will eventually wear through. Mine finally did after about 40,000 miles on the lift. So I check around for a boot replacement...there isn't one. You have to replace the whole shaft?! Anyway, long story short the axle was around $80 with an $80 core charge, not too bad considering how much of a pain it would be to take the CV joint apart to change the boot. I got the new one at Car Quest in one day. Got the two and put them side by side and noticed that the lower boot on the new one is silicon rubber (same as the factory upper) instead of the plastic boot, and the upper boot is clamped further down the shaft. Both good things. Few pics, takes about an hour to change:

Suspension part Auto part Axle part Gear Suspension

Coil spring Suspension part Suspension Auto part Rotor

Notice the ribs are not touching, this is at full extension:
Suspension part Coil spring Auto part Suspension Drive shaft

See less See more
#3 ·
Good info. My passenger side just developed a crack about a week ago. 4x4 parts does have a replacement boot. It's the cheapest way to go but replacing the whole thing is probably easier.

#4 ·
WYOTITAN,
did a dealership told you that you could get a new one or did you only check with aftermarket places?

If anybody needs the part number for the inner boot, it's 39741-7S026. It's fairly easy to do. Driver side was a bit hard due to less space from the diff. But I pretty much did it on my truck without having to jack the truck up.

#5 ·
No, just looking at how hard it was to change out a boot, I decided the $80 ($175 with core charge) it cost to change the whole thing was worth it. To change out the cv shaft, all you have to do it jack up the truck, undo the upper ball joint, and remove the shaft (it might help with the lift).

-TJ

#6 ·
WyoTITAN

WyoTITAN

Hey could I possibly pick your brain of exactly how you did this..... I am doing it this Friday and need a little help if you don't mind. I understand undo the upper ball joint but can you explain in more detail via email or something with pics..... would be greatly appreciated...... Also sorry for your loss on the football team (Wyoming Football Team car wreck).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.