Nissan Titan Forum banner

After market radiators??

10K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Domo 
#1 ·
Well I just noticed my radiator is cracked on the plastic tank on the bottom. I need to replace and was wondering what brand to go with? I would like an all aluminum but they are pretty pricey. I've seen both CSF and stillen, which one is better. I've also see koyo and silla alum/ plastics radiators. What have you guys used or have experience with?? Many thanks!

#2 ·
The all-aluminum Stillen and the CSF3328 radiator is one and the same radiator. CSF manufactures the radiator for Stillen. When the all-aluminum radiator was first made available from Stillen, apparently they had exclusivity for a period of several years but for the past couple of years, or so, the CSF3328 all-aluminum radiator is now available from a wide range of vendors.

#3 ·
I can get the stillen from stillens website for $350 and the CSF from autopartswarehouse for $425. Does that sound about right for them?

#4 ·
When the CSF3328 all-aluminum radiator first became widely available from other than Stillen, it could be purchased for as low as $199. Slowly the prices began to rise and the last time I checked, the radiator could be purchased cheaper from Stillen, at around $359, than from other online retailers. That may still be the case.

The Stillen price used to be in the $500 range but about four years ago when I bought my radiator on-sale from Stillen at about $379, it came in a box with markings that identified it as CSF3328.

The Stillen price for the radiator is probably as good as you will find currently.

#5 ·
Hey thanks for all the info! So how long have you had your Stillen Aluminum radiator and how many miles on it? Any issues with it? They claim to have lower temps, have you noticed that as well?

#6 ·
Stillen/3328

Domo:
+1 for the Stillen/3328...just finished installing mine in my '05. Just had to do minor tweaking with the fan shroud because two of the mounts are just ever so slightly off...Mr Dremel took care of that.

Being a aviation mech, we pretty much scrutinize every little piece-part. The 3328 is a work of art in that regard-solder is smooth, finnish is bright. You cant go wrong with it.

#7 ·
Thanks, so the the radiator listed on Stillens web page is the Stillen Premium High Performance Aluminum Radiator, part number 401441. Is this the same radiator you guys are talking about? This is the link and what they have on there site....
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIRAD01&c=PE&year=2006&make=NISSAN&model=TITAN

"These 100% aluminum radiators with Deep Drawn Tank construction are stronger and lighter than conventional welded box tank radiators. They also allow for better airflow and a drop-in-fit.

When you buy a Premium High-Performance Radiator from STILLEN, you will receive a component that has been engineered to the highest specifications. Our parts will fit exactly the same as the original manufacturers parts, even in the case of the 2-Row models that are 1" thicker than the OE unit.

No need to move fittings, drill additional holes, or stretch hoses to get our radiators to fit properly. Drop it in, bolt it down, and hook it up! Provides up to 50% better cooling with the 2-Row core models.

Designed for manual transmission vehicles unless noted. For automatic transmissions, an external transmission oil cooler may be required."

#8 ·
Thats it

Thats the one brother...funny that Stillen ships it in the CSF box.

They say an external tran cooler is required...nope...built in just like the oem ver.

#9 ·
Yep I bought a stillen/csf just havnt had time to put it on yet. I did it just for preventative maintenance and in case of a crack possibly saving the tranny form getting filled with coolant.

#11 ·
She's ordered

Well I got her ordered, bit the bullet and went with the Stillen 2-row all aluminum radiator for $359 shipped. Thanks guys for all the info and help.

I read a few posts about people having issues with the caps on the the Stillen radiators and them spraying anti-freeze all over. Is this still an issue or did they resolve this as well? I read where some just bent the dabs in more on the caps for a tighter seal.

#12 ·
I had that happen to my oem cap and I just bought another cap and it was resolved. That was at about 115K.

#13 ·
Good call Domo, You will be happy with it!
Here are a few things I took away from my install:
Replace all your hoses since you will have them off...cheap insurance. Online nissan parts suppliers abound. I spent 9 bucks for the 3 hoses...yes, 3. The FSM doesn't show it under "cooling" but there is a third between the thermostat housing and the "down tube". It's shown in the thermostat section. This one bit me, and I had to use a "generic" flextube to complete the install.
Go ahead and replace your serpentine belt. Mine was only 7 years old, and less the 30K, but it looked tired. As it turned out, I had cracking on some of the interior ribs. Its easy enough to do, since you will have the fan removed. Just a 18" 1/2 breaker bar and a 15mm socket...released the tensioner perfectly. Took all of 5 mins. Make sure of your routing of the belt...
If you don't already have, get the ratcheting box wrenches. 8mm is used for the fan hub. 4 nuts and the hub comes off. But with out a ratcheting box wrench, you'll grow old getting those bolts off.
Replace the hose clamps with proper screw clamps, those spring steel units are really only good once. Especially for the tranny cooler. A lot of pressure on those. Too many stories around about not replacing those and then one lets go going down the road. Tranny amen after that.
Finally, when you get your rad, don't be too excited to remove the shipping "cardboard" protecting the face. I took mine off and half way into putting everything back together put the back on back on. Especially putting the fan and shrouds back on...it saves some anxiety worrying about damaging your new, shiny rad.
If you are not going to do a complete system flush, you will only need 1 gal of anti-freeze and 1 gal of demineralized water (Kroger had a sale. 0.87/gal).
And trimming the shroud...well, I like things to fit snugly, and the top tangs on either side prevented the shroud from fitting flush with the rad. YMMV

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just shout...

btw, I didn't have any problem with the rad cap at all.

#14 ·
Hey thanks crashboss for the extra advise! I have a few more questions, I'll PM you now in a bit. Got the rad in yesterday, came in a CSF box and the rad is CSF. Stillen website was the cheapest if anyone is looking, $359 shipped.

#15 ·
Thanks all

Got the new radiator in, new tranny hoses and clips, new serpentine belt....so far so good. Thanks again for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.