Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tranny Cooler Added Long TruCool 4588

44K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  cfk3366 
#1 ·
Ok well here’s how to do a Tranny cooler install.

Parts:
1 - Long TruCool #4588 Kit
2ft - 5/16 Gates transmission hose
4 - zip ties
1 - Qt of J-matic
2 - large self tapping Screws
2 - small self tapping screws

Tools:
Screw driver, Drill, Dremel, wrenches

Time: 2 hours

Ok I went to IPT and bought their tranny cooler that they put on Qships S/C truck last week. The kit is complete and contains most everything you might need for other trucks but for ours you only need a few items.

First IMO you will need to go get about 2ft of 5/16th tranny hose the hose with the kit is larger than I’d like it to be due to my previous experience with Nissan hoses popping off. You notice in the pics I have all new clamps on my tranny lines.

From the kit you will use the cooler, 4 mounting brackets, washers, nuts, bolts, foam, clamps and believe it or not 3” of the hose supplied split to use as bumper.

Here are the pics enjoy and if you have questions just post up.

Step1: remove the grill and all grill over lays.
Step2: make brackets to hold tranny cooler and test fit
Step3: mount cooler
Step4: cut new 5/16th hose to fit
Step5: fill new tranny cooler
Step6: remove stock tranny line
Step7: attach new 5/16 hose to right end of cooler
Step8: attach stock hose to left end of cooler
Step9: start truck and check for leaks and top off tranny
Step10: install grill and drive

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics of install...

MOre pics of installation

Attachments

#3 ·
Good Info RB. Thanks. I'm waiting for the Stillen Aluminum Radiator upgrade, then the Electric Fan to go with it. Afterwards, I'll consider this too. :)

#6 ·
youre a mad scientist i swear hehehe!!! its good to know you have so many awesome mods made up for the titan :D every week u got a new bada$$ mod that can help us out! man youre on the record book!! can you help me do this mod sometime?? hehehe:D wait lemme rethink.....***thinking***...... ok i got it.... you unplugged the stock tranny lines and added new ones to fit the outer tranny cooler??? kinda like the tb bypass mod???? but youre just adding an outside cooler to the tranny??? what happens to the stock tranny cooler???? you plug it up??? seems pretty easy just a lil time consuming. hmmmm this is a good mod for the weekend :D

#7 ·
Nice write up Randy! Stock tranny cooler question here too^^^^

#8 ·
The stock cooler is not bypassed. The trans fluid is rerouted out of the top line through the new cooler and back to the bottom line and to the trans/stock cooler.

Attachments

#10 ·
yeas 04ss got it right ....Thanks ragin cajun!

#11 ·
Just wanted to share I ran this tonight....Only mods changed since 2weeks was CAI tube and tranny cooler. I went from a solid 14.6 to a 14.35. Full street trim tonight.

Attachments

#12 ·
RBsTitan said:
Just wanted to share I ran this tonight....Only mods changed since 2weeks was CAI tube and tranny cooler. I went from a solid 14.6 to a 14.35. Full street trim tonight.
niice lower time! i want to do this mod also but i wanna do it right the first time... how do i locate the tranny lines in the radiator?

#13 ·
#15 ·
markislive said:
How can you not love the Louisianians?

Good job dude!

What the hell did you race???? Very close?????
I love you man...check your email to see how much...LOL

Those are both mine. The trap speeds are dead on a match. Dang Gtech had 14.56@95.40 so it's dialed in really good. I almost hit 1G on the launch to be exact it was .85G's @ 0.123secs and a 0-60 of 5.74.

#16 ·
Looks like the cooler my friend had at his shop looks the same. I used a transtar cooler. I just stuck it to the condenser, your job is very good! Props

After the trans flush and the new cooler it feels like a brand new truck again.

#17 ·
Quick question on the added trans cooler. I recently read that Chevy trans's do not direct ATF to the coolers unless the TCC is locked up. Are our trans's the same way? Anybody know?

#18 ·
electricjohn said:
Quick question on the added trans cooler. I recently read that Chevy trans's do not direct ATF to the coolers unless the TCC is locked up. Are our trans's the same way? Anybody know?
Its my understanding that the Titan transmission flows fluid all the time through the entire system WITH THE EXCEPTION of at start up. There is a valve in the VB that opens and closes based upon temperature. This valve directs fluid to the factory transcooler after it reaches its predisignated temperature. So when the system is cold the system is closed loop and confined to the tranny body.

I've been told by members that have had access to temp gauges that thier temps have dropped after installing a cooler. So those comments offer me comfort that the mod is doing its job. I don't think adding a bigger cooler woudl be good as I'm getting reports of trans temps from 165F+ after the coolers.

#19 ·
Right RB it flows all the time when running. When I did my trans flush I was in park and it was flowing. The next day I did one on my friends dodge and I needed to have it in drive and keep my foot on the brake so that means it would not flow to the cooler unless in lockup. good question.

#20 ·
Hay RB i have a question, or maby somone else can confirm....
After filling the new cooler and running the truck to operating temp... i checked the fluid level while motor running.
The fluid is at the top of the hash marks... but then there is the swivel bends in the dipstick... THEN it says "HOT". Want to confirm that the hash marks are not a cold reading and hot should reach the word HOT. I doubt it but cant risk improper fluid level. manual says "for checking transmission fluid take to a deal" ha yea right.
BTW i only went through 1/2 qt of nissan trans fluid

#21 ·
The stick has two level ranges. One side says Hot, the other is cold. The fluid level should be in the hash mark on the hot side when hot; and between the notches on the cold side when cold.

This is the story on the flow through the coolers:

The A/T has both water cooling and air cooling systems. The air cooling system has a bypass valve.
When ATF oil temperature is at or below 50°C (122°F), it does not flow through the air cooled system. If A/
T oil level is adjusted without flow throughout the entire system, the level will be 10mm lower than
required. Therefore, all piping should be filled with oil when adjusting level.

#22 ·
scr38 said:
The stick has two level ranges. One side says Hot, the other is cold. The fluid level should be in the hash mark on the hot side when hot; and between the notches on the cold side when cold.

This is the story on the flow through the coolers:

The A/T has both water cooling and air cooling systems. The air cooling system has a bypass valve.
When ATF oil temperature is at or below 50°C (122°F), it does not flow through the air cooled system. If A/
T oil level is adjusted without flow throughout the entire system, the level will be 10mm lower than
required. Therefore, all piping should be filled with oil when adjusting level.
Ok thanx scr38. The oil was hot so top of the hashmarks it is. I dont know if it was just the cold weather but at moderate to fast driving around town it shifts nice! I didnt do it as a performance part but if it shifts firmer from cooler thicker oil alright! And im not one to put a randpm part on and claim more speed. Took 2 months before i could prove to myself my longtube headers made a difference. This is my second transmission. I give this mod an A+ and must do for anyone that runs their truck hard, tows, or is always loaded with materials for work.

#23 ·
nice...this is something i will now have to look at getting...thanks for the write-up

#25 ·
Toomnymods said:
I just bought one hopefully will arrive by next wed..
Your trans gets the beat down for the first two years and then pampered this year with a pan drop then flush now another pan drop coming....better late then never lol! Show a pic when you get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.