Nissan Titan Forum banner

better gas mileage

52K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  knkjens 
#1 ·
how do i get better gas mileage?

#2 ·
before anyone comes on here with the buy a smaller car response, I suggest a programmer with a gas saver option. but keeping the rpms under 2k is a good helper. what mods have you done to the truck. anything performance will kill the mpg, but that's the trade off for performance. also bigger tires can bring it down too. its a truck that likes to run. and it will drink as such.

#3 ·
Well I'll say it. Buy a car. That's what I did. It's since been upgraded to a newer car as we found that we just couldn't get along with a $2000 car, but it's saved me money.

As for your truck, a programmer is not going to make that much difference. I put a Bully Dog on mine and got no MPG improvement. Then I put a Hypertech tune on it and I gained 1 MPG. If you bought the T hoping to be able to afford the gas, I'm sorry, there's not much you can do. Keeping the RPMs low should help for about another 1-2 MPGs.

#4 ·
yeah there is no magic part that's gonna turn it into a hybrid. my superchips economy setting is really a coach to keep the rpms down. its hard to get over 2k unless you punch it with that setting. which helps you save alittle. nightowls b-pipes got me back up to a whopping 12mpg. lol. but i drive it like I stole it on the 93 performance tune.

#5 ·
Will all my mods in my signature I gained about 1.5 mpg improvement. Can't tell you which one did it because I didn't check the mpg in between installations. I still have to baby it though. I get 16 and as high az 19.8 hwy. Pulled my bass boat yesterday and got 14my mpg over 150 miles.

#6 ·
Get a Prius.

#7 ·
Best gas mods: smaller tires. Stillen header exhaust. Air box mod, lose the tail gate. Bully dog gt.
Best tips: stay under 2000 rpms. Draft when possible. Slow take offs.

Best advice: stop *****in it's a truck. If you want gas mileage get a Jetta turbo diesel. Don't expect better than 18mpg. People who get better either lie or drive like old ladies

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#8 ·
Aren't there a lot of other threads about gas mileage already? Remember the "tow mode saves gas" thread? I don't understand how anyone buys a full sized V8 truck and even thinks about gas mileage. You're feeding 8 coffee can size cylinders that are pushing around over 5,000 pounds. The best I've ever seen is 17.75 in my Off Road Big Tow KC. Good luck!

#9 ·
I suggest rolling down your back window and turn the air off. This will keep the wind noise down and save about 1 mpg. Of course this is only good when the weather is nice. I avg. about 16mpg at best this way. My truck has no mods and I try not to have a heavy foot.

#11 ·
Better gas mileage....dont drive it. Walk, take the bus, ride a bike, buy a leaf. Theres no tried and true way to save gas in these beasts. Titans and other V8 trucks for that matter, are thirsty. Even with mods like those programmers and exhaust will make you launch with a lead foot just so you can hear the performance...anyways good luck.

#12 ·
So I tracked today and this is gonna sound crazy. because I still don't believe it. but i got 18mpg off of my last fill. gonna do one again 2marrow to make sure. i've never got that much mpg before. i think i lost my mind......:handy-big:

#14 ·
MPGs

Looking recharge this thread with a couple of questions:

1) Used to live in Salt Lake (about 4300' elevation) and would get about 100 miles per quarter tank of gas. Moved to Las Vegas (1800' elevation) 4 years ago and get about 80 miles per quarter tank since the day I moved here. Anyone know of another explanation, or is it all change in elevation??

2) While I know that the MPGs are never going to be even good, I'd like to know if there are any easy mods to maximize the MPGs. I've seen CAIs and high flow air filters mentioned. While 1 MPG might not seem like much, when you only get 14, 1 more can quickly pay for itself.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.