Nissan Titan Forum banner

How To: TPMS Relearn

134K views 76 replies 24 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
Before you get too excited I'll tell you up front that this is not a complete Do It Yourself process. It takes some expensive equipment to complete this process. This process is only needed if sensors new to your Titan are put in your wheels. A siimple tire rotation should not require this process.

1. Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your right knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.
2. Attach the Nissan TPMS Reset Device or stick a paper clip into the interface plug. If you use the paper clip be sure it is small enough to fit in and don't jam it in there hard.
3. Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).
4a. If you used the Nissan TPMS Reset Device connect the alligator clip end to any exposed ground (metal). Squeeze the trigger on the device 5 or 6 times within 10 seconds.
4b. If you used a paper clip then tap the end of the paper clip (the end NOT in the interface plug, duh!) on any exposed ground (metal) 5 or 6 times. The bracket that holds the OBD II socket is in just the right position.
4. If you completed step 4a/4b then the TPMS warning light located on the lower left corner of the instrument cluster will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. Somehow I got mine to flash really fast. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the key off and start over at step 3.
5. Using a TPMS Sensor Activation Tool start at the driver's front tire. Initiate the tool. Within about 5 seconds the turn signals/four ways will blink to tell you that the onboard computer has recognized the sensor.
6. Redo step 5 at the passenger's front, passenger's rear and finally the driver's rear. I don't think the order really matters but this appears to be the order that everyone uses.

If you have the navigation system then all four TPMS sensor should show up on the Nav screen with a number for the PSI.

I scoured the Internet for true DIY solutions. These sensor cannot be magnetically initiated, it takes a sensor tool to do it. There were some postings I found that said to lower the PSI down below 30 and then drive for a couple miles. One also suggested that you put the PSI over 50 and then drive. I tried both with no success but this might have been due to my TPMS warning light flashing fast.

The sensor tool referenced in step 5 is very common and all tire shops should have one. What they don't have is the Nissan TPMS Reset tool and the instructions listed above. My local Discount Tire had the Nissan TPMS Reset tool but they didn't know how to use it until I showed them how on my third trip to get this taken care of.

Good luck!

See less See more
#65 ·
When you put the factory wheels (with sensors) back on they should pick up where they left off and you won't have to reprogram them.

You'll get the warning light the entire time the non-factory wheels without sensors are on the Titan.

#64 ·
@HRTKD (jim), I have the same Titan, LE Crew and I can't find the little connector. I had my mechanic look for it and they couldn't find it. My Light blinks indicating a problem with the sensors. I've had Firestone and Nissan reset it several times. Finally Nissan read the code for me and it indicated a low battery on the front driver sensor.

#66 ·
The connector has to be there somewhere. Mine was taped to the OBDII bundle as I recall.

It will be interesting to see how a low battery is resolved. I haven't heard of anyone replacing the battery. Keep us updated please.

#68 ·
Right, the sensors are sealed in epoxy. You can't replace the battery.

#69 ·
My gut feeling is it's the sensor that firestone replaced last summer. We were trying to troubleshoot a leak. They replaced the sensor but found out later there was a micro-crack in the RIM. The TPMs never worked correctly ever since. My plan is when I go back to them for an Oil change and lifetime alignment I'll have them put the old sensor back in and see what happens.

#70 ·
Purza, was the sensor that Firestone replaced the same sensor that Nissan said was showing a low battery?

#72 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I cannot seem to get my TPMS in learn mode. The light starts up slowly flashing then goes solid after 1 minute all the time. I tried this procedure and it will not stay slowly flashing.

Any ideas on what this could be? This all started when I had a tire shop talk me into replacing the gaskets on the TPMS sensors and I have been back there 3 times and they are getting signals from each tire but the light flashing is still happening.

I took it to another tire shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong either.

#73 ·
4 months later, I've given up and have been accustomed to the TPMS light flashing and staying on. In May I went to firestone for my free oil change (which I received after complaining that they replaced two of my locking lugs with regular ones without telling me! - never going back there again except for the lifetime alignment!) After driving away, I noticed the TPMS light was out! And it hasn't come back on - go figure.

#75 ·
spta97, I've had a problem getting my Titan into the relearn mode a couple of times. But when that happens the light stays out as I recall. If it is flashing from the start (when you go to the Key On, Engine Off position) then that isn't how it's supposed to work. Start with the key out of the ignition, then put it in and go to one click before starting the engine. Using your paperclip (or whatever) ground the wire out 5 times within 10 seconds. At that point you should get the slow blink of the TPMS light.

#77 ·
The connector is usually taped to the top of the OBDII port. As far as I remember, all Titans has TPMS so it has to be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.