Nissan Titan Forum banner

12 Pro-4x mods

11K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  jake94134 
#1 ·
Just picked up my 2012 Pro-4x. Quite a step up from the inline six Jeep I traded. I've done some lurking prior to buying the truck and was thinking about a Hypertech tuner (correct me if I'm wrong, but Superchips doesn't support '11-'12 models). Does the Hypertech remove the WOT restriction? Does it firm up shifting at all? Also looking at either a JBA or Gibson exhaust, possibly with B pipes if they really make a difference, and an intake of some sort. So does all this sound like I'm on the right track? Should I mod in some certain order since I won't be able to afford everything at once with my new big payment on my new big truck?

#2 ·
As far as programmers are concerned, Uprev is the best. It is also the most expensive and requires the use of a laptop. If that's not for you, then usually the Bullydog is considered the best pocket programmer. For the order, exhaust or intake followed by programmer. Do B-pipes last. Just for planning, if you plan to add headers Uprev is your only option if you want your T running correctly. Otherwise your AFR's will be way out of wack and you will likely have CEL light. Which would mean fail at emissions test.

#3 ·
I ran a Bully Dog GT for a year and a Hypertech for a year. I got better gas mileage with the Hypertech, so I sold the Bully Dog and stuck with the Hypertech. I'm currently running it on my 2012. Yes, it removes WOT. No, it doesn't do a 2 degree advance. MOst like the BDGT, but I've got a tablet in my truck and Torque App installed with a bluetooth module, so I get more displays than the BDGT.

As for shifting, I've never noticed any difference in shifting with either tuners. (Although I did bark the tires at 45 mph the other day passing someone that didn't know the speed limit was 55.) As stated before, Uprev gives you the most options and advance tuning, but you'll pay for it.

Since I'm still running stock tubes, and I'm happy with them, I can't say anything about the exhaust.

#4 ·
So the BDGT advances the timing, but the Hypertech does not? Like most (I assume), I want the best of both worlds when it comes to power vs MPG. That said, it's not a Prius and I knew that when I bought it. My last car was a 4.0 I6 Grand Cherokee with a lift and 32" tires, I averaged 12-12.5 mpg average (per overhead console) so I'm pretty satisfied with the T's stock gas mileage so far. I really don't plan on doing headers, so I think I'll pass on Uprev. Thanks for the input guys.

ETA: Is the 2* advance a deal breaker? Does it make a huge difference?

#8 ·
IMO: 2 degree advance kicks it in the butt when you punch it at highway speeds, however, I found that my gas mileage went down when I had it installed. Of course by down it was less than 1 mpg for me and it could have been because I loved the kick in the pants when I punched it. It was definitely an advantage when passing. The BDGT is a nice little unit, but I mounted a Nexus 7 tablet and ODBII bluetooth adapter today that does everything the BDGT screen does plus a lot more display wise.

#5 ·
I just installed my BDGT today and got to say its worth it. The screen is smaller than you'd think but all the extra gizmos it lets you do is great. The features are

87 tune
eco tune
tow tune
performance tune

you can set the gov all the way to 180mph you'll never see it haha

you can retard 8 degrees or advance 4

change throtle response which running on extreme is loads of fun

increase or decrease your idle
run 0-60 1/4 ect... tests

theres more but like i said I just got it today

the only thing I wish was for shift firmness and adjustments as far as I know no programer even Uprev will change the transmission firmness or shift points

If so I would have bought it. I think you must change your valve body for that if i'm wrong someone here please point in the right direction.

#6 ·
BDGT sounds like it good to go...you sold me on it. Reason I asked about shifting mods is I used to have a 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi with Superchips and it definitely firmed up the shifts and improved the shift points. The Hemi would rev up to around 5k and then just drop off before the upshift on WOT. I guess "lag time" would be the proper term to describe it.

#14 ·
Well it's definitely not what I'd call loud...to me it sounds just a bit throatier than the stock setup, but we'll see if it gets louder after a week or so. When I had my Ram, I ran a Gibson Super Truck and was actually pretty disappointed when I first started it up. After a week or two I noticed people sitting next to me at traffic lights putting their windows up.

Install was pretty straightforward. Took me about two hours, a good portion of which was spent trying to get the tips and tailpipes lined up just right. I did have to trim a few inches off the the end of each tailpipe. Not a fan of the hangers for the taipipes, which you have to bolt to the frame via existing holes, but they work fine. It just took me a few attempts to wrap my head around what goes where.

#15 ·
Seems typical for most exhaust systems i've put on theres always minor modifications to do, sound wise if its slighty louder I would like to by one I currently have flowmaster dauls but I live in the mountains and I feel like a *** because my trucks always in a lower gear and it sounds like i'm hauling ***. If I lived back in FL it wouldn't be so bad. The only thing I could say about the sound for yours is you may have to change your muffler with something more aggressive. Like you said only time will tell.

#16 ·
Thats what I was thinking...I'll run it for a week or two to see how the sound develops. If I'm not happy, maybe I'll swap in a Borla muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.