Nissan Titan Forum banner

TrueTrac Safety Wire Bolts

14K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  04titanss 
#1 ·
FYI for anyone that is planning to Safety Wire the bolts on there TT. You can order the 3/8"-24 Drilled Head Grade 8 Bolts from this place Northwest Fastener 11320 FM 529, Bldg. F Houston, Texas 77041. Web Site: http://www.northwestfastener.com/

Minimum order is $25, or 17 Bolts, This is cheaper than the Drill Jig to drill out plain G8 bolts. They only have them with a 1/8" Drilled Head Hole in a 1" length so a lock washer will be needed to take up the difference in length, 7/8" is stock TT length., I ordered mine Today and will install in about a week, with the 272 Loctite. A Safety Wire kit local sells for $40.

PDF of order sheet, Total is $38.02 Shipped.

Attachments

#2 ·
Will the zinc plating be an issue inside of a liquid filled and heat soaked environment? I think the Detroit bolts are either plain or black oxide finish. And usually the coatings are for a reason. Might wanna check some heat properties or other applications before throwing them in.

Thanks for the post.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I am aware of the reason of the plating. What I am NOT aware of is the type of environment you are subjecting it to. There is probably a reason a black oxide or no coating at all is on the factory bolts from Eaton.

#5 ·
I called Zimmer Gear a local Rearend Rebuilder they do all types from stock to Drag Racing to Heavy Industrial and they say they use Loctite and the Zinc Plated Grade 8 bolts All the time. Rearends are there Speciality. If they are good for a ring gear that has a lot more stress on it than the TT bolts I am going to install these with No doubts on them breaking.

#9 ·
Let me try and explain my concern better. It is not the strength of the bolts that worries me. It is the coating applied, and introduced into an environment that it may not be meant for. The heat and liquid may cause the finish to come off or cause some kind of chemical issue. I'm prolly overthinking this, but I have worked in the hardware/fastener business for over 10 years and there are reasons for different coatings. I am already concerned with the Tru-trac failure as is, and i surely dont want to make it worse. Besides the bolts werent shearing or breaking, only backing out.

#7 ·
You should have access to some bins with Mil-spec drilled head bolts where you work. :D

#10 ·
Thank you for a source for Grade8 drilled head bolts. I had not been able to find any after spending considerable time. I was only able to find grade5 with the drilled head.

Before you found those bolts, I was considering drilling a hole for a 3/32" spring pin next to the hex flat of the 3/8" bolts to keep them from backing out. Unfortunately, the Trutrac end cap wasn't scratched by the standard 3/32" hss drill I tried. I was going to try a harder drill next.

How are you going to wire the bolts that sit by themselves? The ones that are next to each other get wired as pairs, but two per side sit alone.

Also, be aware that you want pretty hard washers. The reason I say that is because the tensile load on the bolts must be huge for them to be coming loose. This huge tensile load will put a huge compressive load on the washers. Personally, I might try shortening the bolts without overheating them to the stock 7/8" length.

Thanks again for the source.

Mike

#11 ·
I just called the listed company. There is a $25 minimum order if you pay cash. There is a $50 minimum order for mail orders that are charged. I think I would like to order 36 (enough for three diffs). If I do so, will anybody buy a set from me? I am just trying to get a feel for interest in these bolts. If anybody else would rather do a group buy, I can paypal you the money for a set of 12 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Mike

#13 ·
mr Magoo, if you get enough then I will buy a set from you...Count me in....Thanks TitanSS, any concerns about the washers like Magoo said? Is this a valid concern?

#14 ·
mr Magoo, if you get enough then I will buy a set from you...Count me in....
I called back a second time and spoke with Kim. She did not have the $50 requirement I was told earlier. I ordered 24 bolts. This is enough for two trutracs. She said she would check stock in the AM. I will ship my extra set to o-fivecc if he still wants them after I receive them. Sorry for the confusion. I think it was Dan that said I needed to order $50 worth.

Mike

#15 ·
If the hole in the drilled head is large enough, I might use spring pins instead of safety wire on the bolts (especially the isolated ones). Mcmaster has 1/16" spring pins up to 1" long. I might have to put a slight amount of extra torque to get the pin to line up with the counterbore edge. We'll see how it goes. Options are good.

On the washer issue, I mentioned because my first attempt with the bolt backing issue was to make my own custom tabbed lock washers for the bolts that back out. I bought some fender washers and made some test tab lock washers. The fender washer steel was so mild that the washer extruded out from under the bolt head when installing bolts to the proper torque. This solution was unacceptable. That is the reason I mentioned selecting hard lock washers.

Mike

#16 ·
Thanks! i do want them!! Are their any really strong washers we can get from say home depot or order online? 1/8"?

#17 ·
There is such thing as Grade 8 Flat Washers. McMaster -Carr would have them. I would not expect to find them at HD or Lowe's, but possible in the small parts bin.

I would have no concerns of using Galvanized Plated Hardware in an oiled, heated environment such as a rear end. We are only taking heat up to roughly 150-180F or so. Black Oxide is about the lowest cost coating, offering minimal corrosion resistance. In an oiled environment, it suffices fine.

#18 ·
So this looks like a possible permanent fix? I have no idea how to install these...but the guy who installed it works on this type of stuff a lot, so hopefully he will know whats up

#20 ·
The hole in the bolt head is 1/8" ID.

Brute Titan has used Lock Washers to fix his TT.
The bolt size is 3/8"-24 fine thread. The head size is 9/16". I bought 1" Grade 8 bolts and lock washers. The factory bolt is like 7/8" long and I couldn't find the exact length so I made the difference with the lock washers. I didn't wire but I did red locktite the hell out of them and used the washers. Also torqued them to 55lb-ft of torque. I just got done cleaning it all up and re-installed it and seems do fine. Only time will tell now. By the way the internals of the trutrac are ridiculously simple.

#22 ·
Start a new thread, might get more people to see it

#23 ·
Update: Have had the safety wired bolts installed about 3 years now and they are still holding strong. Installed a PML diff cover about 4 months ago and every thing is still locked down tight.

#25 ·
I will be doing this soon, my bolts have backed out twice! Great info Nick

#26 ·
What? No pics of the finished product?

#27 ·
here is one of the dang backing out so and so TT bol;ts! but unfortunately most TT owners already knows what that looks like. do you use washers with the safety wires?

Attachments

#28 ·
Do not have pics of the finished product.

Used a 1/8" think flat washer, with a OD about the same size as the bolt head. Had to use them because the no one sells the correct length bolt, had to get 1" and use the washers.

#29 ·
Where can I get these. 4th time mine are backing out

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#31 ·
Just use the high strength loctite. I've used it I'm my rock crawler that I'm sure sees much more abuse than any titan on the road. Safety wire is a pain to install anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.