Nissan Titan Forum banner

Help with axle shaft removal

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  04titanss 
#1 ·
I am trying to pull the axle shafts out of the diff. any ideas whats holding them to the LSD. I have everything off that can come off still nothing. Any ideas?

#2 ·
A long pry bar wedged bewteen the axle flange and backing plate is all I needed to pop the axle out of my housing. Nothing holds them in to the carrier, remove the 4 nuts off the axle retainer, behind the backing plate, and all should pop out.

#3 ·
so the plates on each side of the LSD and ring gear assembly and they should just slide out? What holds them in?

#4 ·
never mind I see what your saying I have all that off so the spines are the only thing holding them in?

#5 ·
I believe there is a square bracket with four bolts (that come through the brake backing plate towards the inside) that holds the shaft in.

#6 ·
That only holds the backlash/preload adjuster. With every thing removed the axles should come out with a little force. With the spider gears coming apart in yours, some of the material may have wedged itself between the splines. May have to rent a slide hammer from the local auto parts store to get the axle out.

#7 ·
I work for a family business which is a shipyard and we have huge slide hammer to remove 3 inch diameter shaft out of yachts, and still it wont budge. I guess next its off to putting a portable hydraulic press on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.