Nissan Titan Forum banner

Best performance programmer!!!

20K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Scottysize 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying A handheld programmer (not uprev) for my 08 pro 4x. I already know the best is uprev but i dont need or want it due to minimal mods. I want to know which is the best among the three: BDGT, Superchips, Hypertech. Supposedly, the hypertech is supposed to have the best tune available for the titans, producing the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It also it supposed to give the best increase in MPG's. I like the BDGT because of the monitoring screen and 2* timing advance.(Not sure if the 2* timing advance is even a big deal or not). Hypertech does not offer this feature unfortunately. Overall, with my research I have it down to hypertech and BDGT. Hypertech sounds like it has the best tune and fastest times whereas the BDGT has alot of nice features that the hypertech does not. I want to know if anybody has heard the same things about hypertech or not and what would really be the best handheld programmer (best tune) for the titans. If hypertech really does have the best tune and fastest times, I think I could/would sacrifice the BDGT monitoring system for the better performance tune. Let me know what you guys think? Thanks!

#2 ·
I'd say BDGT. Eventhough you only have plans for minimal mods the Bullydog is the only handheld that can still be used if your gonna add B pipes and headers. And incase your not aware, cracked exhaust manifolds on Titans aren't rare. If/when that happens, your cheapest and best fix is a set of headers and a good set of B pipes and you would already then have the BDGT to get AFR's back in acceptable ranges to remove CEL/SES.

#3 ·
I had the Bully Dog GT, but switched back to the Hypertech because I got better gas mileage. My 2 cents. Take 'em for what they're worth. I'm pretty sure you'll find most love the BDGT.

#4 ·
BDGT hands down not just for the performance but the features and gauges you get. You just dont program with the BDGT and throw it in the glove box. Guys say the hypertech will perform a little better but I havnt seen any track time proof of that besides the difference will not be felt. Here is a video you may have seen I have posted it several times on titan forums of the BDGT 93 tune vs. stock tune.

#5 ·
Ya I just picked up a used bdgt and love it. Dedinetly can tell a difference on my truck and I've just been using the 87 tune. Especially down low. Plus all the features are great. Definetly glad I went with it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 ·
unfortunately, i can't vouch for the BDGT. they don't make it for the 04.:heul2-big: but i have superchips and its pretty sweet.

#9 ·
You CAN install this unit without the RAM Mount and use the supplied suction cup / windshield mount it comes with. Installation is the same but you do not need the 5' HDMI cord. But the COOL factor is with the Ram Mount. Also out of sight and out of mind. One thing less to worry about when you leave your truck from prying eyes. Also, since the BDGT unit is so small to read, this is a perfect way to watch your engines VITALS at Eye Level keeping it safer to read it.

Follow the Bullydog Instructions it comes with, UPDATE if needed and you'll be good to go on to the next steps:

Tools Used:

Small Flat head to remove the trim surrounding the Driver Side handle
10mm Socket and Rachet to remove the Oh Sh*t Handle
Assorted small Allen Wrenches (forgot what size to use, but easy to figure out)
Test Light

My Install time: 30 Minutes. Your time may vary.
Installation Difficulty?: If you can install an intake system, this should be a walk in the park.
Programming the Unit?: Just YES or NO questions, You can increase you RPM, Speed Limits etc. But i didn't mess around with it. Until you figure it out, just use the basic settings.

My setttings: Performance, 2* degree timing advance, NO WOT. Throttle Adj HIGH.

Once you have your BullyDog / Ram Mount on, you can re-mount the mirror in reverse order. Pull down slightly on the headliner and run the BullyDog 5' HDMI extension. I have a auto dimming mirror so it came with the wire cover, re-install that as well if you have it.

Remove the Driver side handle with a 10mm socket, pull the liner/weather stripping from the door and pull aside the plastic pillar moulding. NOTE: Some trucks come with the Side Air bags so you need to run this between the A-Pillar and the air bags so if they deploy the HDMI cable does not interfere with it. Connect the supplied cable of the BullyDog into the extension cable and run it towards the OBDII Port, Plug in OBDII Adapter Plug into the Port and attach the HDMI Main WireHarness from the BDGT. The OBDII adapter has a switch to power up your unit but you would have to turn if on/off all the time.

I choose to use, The GT/Watch Power Wire. It connects into the OBDII adapter and you run that wire down and behind the A/C unit / Center Console. I used a wire coat hanger to push it thru the backside from the driver to passenger side, Once you push the wire out string it along towards the passenger fuse box compartment.

I had a Test light and choose the RADIO fuse that is controlled by the Key. Pull the fuse with the factory fuse puller, insert the wire and push back the fuse. It's tedious but easy to do and now the BDGT now turns on with the key instead of the switch on the OBDII adapter.

Re-read your BullyDog instruction sheet and/or Retrace your steps, making sure everything in place. It should power up with the key and backlit lighting will change with the lights on.

Put all your panels back in place AFTER checking power and you should be all good to go.

BullyDog BDGT has a driving coach to tell you that you are abusing the power (i.e. wasting gas) and you will see your actual MPG. The settings can be easily changed and you WILL notice a big difference. You DO have the option to shut off the coach and the beeping off. ~I Did. Who drives light footed? Lol

My opinion hands down is the BullyDog BDGT, though... HyperTech & SuperChips has a comparable item but the coolness factor of the watching all the temperatures at a glance not to mention your MPG (-/+) differs with driving style.

#12 ·
Power output from both tuners is about the same. Were I noticed the difference is passing at speed. The 2 degree advance gives you more power for passing, and Hypertech doesn't offer the 2 degree advance. Of course you can always get the 2 degree advance elsewhere. I miss the 2 degree advance, but it impacted my gas mileage and I'm now all about the mileage.

As for the display, it's so small, it was hard for em to use. I have a Nexus 7 on the dash with the Torque app and bluetooth ODBII dongle. It works great and you can see everything plus more with it.

#13 ·
with you on the torque app. I'm inches from buying a nexus 7 myself. my archos 10 is hot garbage.....

#15 ·

this is the mount i have. with my pillar gauge up, i don't need anything else in the windshield. just need to get that nexus.

#17 ·
It's just an app to monitor gauges. It does give you more info than the guage cluster does though.

#22 ·
One thing I noticed with my BDGT is the gas mileage. Better mileage around 75 mph vs. around 65 mph. Anyone else notice this also? I have the tune set on regular gas, economy setting on the throttle, 2 degree timing advance. Still tons of power. Love the digital readouts, especially going down hill, it showed an instantaneous 86 mpg for a split second. I have the blend mount but haven't installed it yet. How much does it block the view out the windshield?

#24 ·
Interesting. I didn't have a gas mileage increase after installing the Regular tune. That's why I went back to the Hypertech. I'm glad it's working well for you.

As for the blendmount, you won't notice it. Here it is with the Blendmount for the radar detector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.