#31 Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 AM
jtrich
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VK56DEHAN View Post
Ok...The 2010+ Titans got new torque converter mapping and it is extremely intrusive. Especially when towing or accelerating onto the interstate. I have a center shifter so what I do is hold it in 4th (torque converter still locks) until I hit 60mph were I shift into D under normal driving conditions. I towed 4500lbs in 4th, in a non BT and she did fine.

What happens when it bogs down is...at approx 40-45mph under "normal" acceleration, the trans shifts into 4th, then locks the torque converter, almost immediately unlocks and shifts to 5th, then locks out in OD again. Idk why nissan designed it like this but they are the engineers so I dont question. I do know the purpose is to increase gas mileage, reduce transmission temps, and increase energy usage (i.e. reduce slippage). Just for the record, your truck is operating as designed I promise. Dont leave it in 3rd at 60mph...eventually the trans will overheat. Hold your trans in 4th once you get to cruising speed or you see the trans getting hot. Allow the torque converter to lock in 4th...and at 60 mph it will hold you rpms at around 1800-1900rpms (2.94), and 2000-2100rpm, i think, (3.36) which is a perfect rpm for cruising with a load. Keeps it in the power band better. To accelerate, slowly depress the pedal and it will gain speed...just be patient. If you want to unlock, double pump the gas or increase pedal input % to at least 50%. I know the truck tends to shimmy a little when trying to accelerate but thats just do to engine speed. Its a good towing truck you just have to learn how she likes it.
I can understand why nissan changed the programming for the torque convertor it just sounds like they over did it. My 06 has the tow package, I tow a 34' 8000# fifth wheel and in 4th gear the convertor won't lock up until around 57 mph. If I stay between 50 and 55 I can see the trans temp fluctuate. Once I get to the speed for it to lock the temp drops to where it always runs when I'm not towing. You know people with cell phones stuck in there ear can't seem to maintain the speed limit so unless I'm on the interstate my trans temp is running a little above normal.
I agree with the OP once it locks in it feels like it has less power but If I give it a little gas it slowly accelerates, then if I give it more it unlocks and at least sounds like it's pulling better. I wish mine would lock in around 53 mph, would be better for the driving conditions I have to deal with.
James

06 White CC LE
Uprev Tuned, Eco 3, Active Tuning Ground Kit, Optima Yellow Top, AEM Brute Force, JBA Cat Back Exhaust, Duner Dan Hole Punch Grill, Stillen front sway bar, PRG lowering shackles.

If your mind can conceive it, and your heart can believe it, then you can achieve it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Bruck
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyPro4X2011 View Post
I have a 2011 pro 4X an tow a 29 an a half foot fifth wheel which is over the 9500 pounds. Tows it with no problems at all. Asked the dealer about it being heavier then the rated weight of the truck an they told me it was no problem an to just get an add a leaf but I opted for airbags. But all that said I have no loss of power what so ever.
Good luck with getting that solved

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I'm really surprised that the dealer said it was ok to tow more than the stated tow capacity.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
#33 Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
HRTKD
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
I'm really surprised that the dealer said it was ok to tow more than the stated tow capacity.
Really? These are the same guys that would probably tell you that towing doesn't impact your MPG whatsoever.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, Volant PowerCore, 18" Magnaflow, AMSoil in everything»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Berk Technology B-Pipes»
Club Titan Rosetta Stone
Jim
#34 Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Bruck
Shift_lurker

Touché......

#35 Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Fernaser
Shift_lurker

Can I sue an apartment complex for towing my car away with a visitors parking permit & not enough guess parking ?
My car was parked in a vacant apartment parking spot (specific apartment was also vacant, no one lives there), which I park in that spot just about everyday. Also this apartment complex has limited guest parking spaces (about a good 10 from my count), which were all taken already. Some of these cars parked in the guest spaces are living residents with extra cars or extra people living there and don't have assigned spots. Also some of the apartment housings have up to 4 parking spaces when others just have 1. I never have had any problems in the past parking there, no threats, no notes. I would like to know if there is something I can do ?

#36 Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
S6T6
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernaser View Post
Can I sue an apartment complex for towing my car away with a visitors parking permit & not enough guess parking ?
My car was parked in a vacant apartment parking spot (specific apartment was also vacant, no one lives there), which I park in that spot just about everyday. Also this apartment complex has limited guest parking spaces (about a good 10 from my count), which were all taken already. Some of these cars parked in the guest spaces are living residents with extra cars or extra people living there and don't have assigned spots. Also some of the apartment housings have up to 4 parking spaces when others just have 1. I never have had any problems in the past parking there, no threats, no notes. I would like to know if there is something I can do ?
This isn't the kind of 'towing issue' being discussed here. I'd say to start a new thread to get replies.
#37 Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Bruck
Shift_lurker

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

#38 Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 AM
HAWAI'I
Shift_lurker

That was Funny.
#39 Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Parrothead87
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Or just put it back to the way it was before. If they wanna save gas, they need to add more higher end gears and add more function to the "Tow Mode" button, not go jacking with the TC. There's a reason Mercedes, Audi, & BMW are using 7-sp transmissions and getting superior MPG, someone should get the hint (Nissan).
I know i am rookie here but i just traded out of a 2011 Silverado. It was equipped with a 6-speed transmission. Between the transmission hunting for gears and the Active Fuel Mgt system, the truck would trip over its self if you gave it any throttle.

Very impressed with the response of the titan so far--but i haven't town yet. Figured i better wait til at least 500 miles....
#40 Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Pops
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead87 View Post
I know i am rookie here but i just traded out of a 2011 Silverado. It was equipped with a 6-speed transmission. Between the transmission hunting for gears and the Active Fuel Mgt system, the truck would trip over its self if you gave it any throttle.

Very impressed with the response of the titan so far--but i haven't town yet. Figured i better wait til at least 500 miles....
It tows great, just keep the selector in 4th instead of 'D' when towing over 5500-lbs.

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode