Nissan Titan Forum banner

IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solutions

353K views 68 replies 43 participants last post by  Nicaplz 
#1 ·
As of late I have seen a lot of posts of truck not starting, sputtering or shutting off while driving. Most of these are usually because of the ECU relay failing or in some cases the whole IPDM board failing.
IPDM = Intelligence Power Distribution Module

Symptoms - there have been lots of different symptoms but all in all the truck usually will not idle right or can't even be started.

-truck die while driving and can't be started
-sputtering like it's not getting gas
-rough idling
-usually no SES codes but might have a combination of other lights flashing or on.
-sometimes truck will die but will start up normally in a few minutes/hours than die again
-sometimes the truck crank but will not start than start normally after that (early sign of IPDM failure)
-battery usually good cause I had full lights in the truck and all other stuffs work
-I will add more to the symptoms list as I come across them

NascarJody was the first to post about swapping the ECU relay with the fog lights relay.
Note: this is a way to get you going and is not a permanent fix.
See image below

Location of IPDM box under the hood and how to remove
(you do not need to remove the IPDM out of the box but will need
to lift it up to access the lower row of relays)

Once you have swapped the relays and if the truck start right up, than you
know the ECU relay was the culprit.

FIX- couple of choices.
-Get a new ECU relay (as I say before swapping relay is not a permanent fix as the fog lights relay lacked a "protective diode", this protect the ECU from a power spike.
-Thanks to TitanBlue for finding the source of the correct relays but since it's only sold in lots of 50
-Thank you to RobKar for ordering and sending out the relays to those needed.
Relay model number: ACM33211
>>>Get ECU relays from RobKar<<<
Even those of you who have never had this problems, It would not be a bad idea to get an extra relay to keep in the truck.
Even with a new IPDM board I have some extra relays in the glove box.

-Get a new IPDM
-If you would rather get a new IPDM instead of just a relay, the part # for the new improved IPDM is 284B6-ZC00A
-I have read instance where swapping the relays did not help but the problems was solved once a new IPDM was installed.
-New IPDM cost about $100 or so, Swapping out the IPDM took me about 5 minutes in the driveway with a simple flathead screwdriver

See less See more
#2 ·
great write up. glad to see you keeping this topic alive and consolidating like 5 different threads into 1. lol.

#3 ·
GREAT POST BBF!!!!! This one will be helping a lot of people!

#4 ·
This is a great post... I'm pretty confident this is the problem I'm experiencing. So to get this straight if I get the correct ECU from RobKar this will be a permanant fix (unless I need to replace the entire IPDM) as opposed to what Nascarjody was proposing?
I clicked on the link to order from Robkar but there is still no additional information as to how to get the part?

#6 ·
Same Prob here

I had one replaced all ready and 5 months later its doing it again...... but this time i got video proof if it this time....lol back to nissna again. luckly they will warrenty this part even thought im past my warrenty...... I was getting kinda worried, due to they just put on a new fuel pump and sending unit.

#7 ·
Hey guys! mine just started giving me problems yesterday! It has to be the IPDM. It started at night when driving home from Home Depot, my dash started blinking and my truck felt like it kicked down in gear three times! My dash lights turned off and the guages all went to zero as if the truck had been shut off, but the truck never died it just lost power. I stopped and pulled over and tried to drive again and the truck did not want to go, it felt as if the tranny was slipping and i had to rev it higher to get it to move. My dash lights came back on and so did my guages and then the engine power just kicked back in like normal but my check engine light came on! It scared the crap out of me! I finally made it home and i shut it off and waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on, my check engine light was still on but the truck seemed normal. I have a code scanner so i connected it and read the code as P0462, fuel level sensor circuit low input. I cleared the code and thought it was fine but it did it again today but the check engine light did not come on, i drove it home again like that and i just hope i did not make it worse by driving it like that. The thing is this is a 3 month old IPDM that i bought from my dealer here in Vegas, I only bought this new one because i was trying to prevent the problems that other members were having with their trucks and i never had this happen with my old IPDM. Will my dealer give a replacement? how long is the warranty? I will be installing my old one back in the truck tommorrow and if this fixes it then it means i just got a defective one from the dealer. I am looking at my invoice and it is the newer one #284B-ZC00a, i paid $103.00.

#8 ·
With electrical components I would be very surprised if they give you a refund.
Your problems might not be the IPDM at all IMO (usually will not get a check engine light with IPDM failure).
Have you have your fuel sending unit recall done?
If the code is still on do NOT clear it, let the dealer see it.

P0462
The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the ECM or PCM.

It consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other side is variable resistor. Fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
When is the code detected?
An excessively low voltage is sent from the sensor is sent to ECM.
Possible Causes
- Fuel level sensor circuit harness or connectors is open or shorted
- Fuel level sensor may be faulty
Possible Solution
Replaced fuel level sensor.

If you still feel it's the IPDM, double check all the plugs and wires.
If one of those had came loose when you installed it problems could arise.

#9 ·
Could this happen if you let your truck run out of gas? I thought at first it was because my fuel was low and i was driving with the low level light on before i could stop and get gas. Is the sending unit inside the tank? Has anyone replaced one? I have not seen the recall, does anyone have info regarding that? Any help would be appreciated.

#10 ·
Hey BBF, Thanks for putting this up here too!

I am Robkar over on TT and if you send me a PM here (or there) I can get you the information for payment :)

Currently we know that this relay works for Armada, Frontiers, and of course the Titan. The cost is only $10 each with shipping, I still have over 100 relays and will order more when I get low.

Thanks!

#11 ·
Just bought a new IPDM for my titan. She gave me trouble three times today, she did everything that was stated in the first post. It cost me $240, only because i got the last one that the dealership had in stock. If they would have had to order one it would of cost me about $500 because nissan changed the part #s or something. Plus I was competing with another guy who was needing the same thing at the same time as me, but I won! so in the morning I get to install it, hopefully its as easy as the post says!

#12 ·
still dont start!!!!!

Hey i read your post because i just replaced my headgasket on my 05 titan.(by the way i pulled out the whole engine) but now it cranks and gets furl but no spark.i did what u suggested but still nothing.i hook it to the computer and gave me a code p1065.what should i do????

#14 ·
I have not gotten any notification

#15 ·
Great info guys

Just had all these problms with my truck. Up here in Canada they couldn't figure out what the problem was till just recentlly. They changed out the IMPD and all is good. I'm going to give them the info on the relay and hope that this will help as it appears the board never needed to be replaced just the relay. OOOh by the way just stumbled apon this site and am very excited to be a member. :thumbsup-big:

#16 ·
For those who purchased IPDMs who want to be reimbursed for the purchase, attached below is the form that needs to be faxed or mailed to Nissan for your claim. Prior to the recall for the ECM relay, Nissan would only replace the entire IPDM instead of any of the components and many people purchased the complete IPDM.

Attachments

#17 ·
I had mine replaced under the recall, put new fuel level sensor in tank everything A OK now

#19 ·
His link worked for me.

#20 ·
I just had this problem and talked to a friend in the Nissan parts department and he told me about the recall. I couldn't get my truck to the dealer and he told me that the relay was $1.50. If you pull out the IPMD there is a relay at the bottom marked with a "5" remove it and replace it with the new $1.50 relay and you're off and running again.

#21 ·
I had the ECM relay start acting up at about 91,000 miles (in 2007). I figured it out on the side of the road with no tools the second day that it acted up - I swapped it with another relay to get to the dealer, then purchased 2 new relays - 1 for a spare. Haven't had an issue since (truck has 189,760 miles on it now). I just got the recall notice in the mail and Nissan is going to reimburse me for both relays, as well as replace the relay under warranty (which is not necessary as far as I'm concerned).

My symptoms were: runs poorly/stalls, gauges acting up, lights on dash flickering, cranks but won't start, and it was intermittent - I could cycle the key and re-try, and sometimes it would fire up and run fine, other times it would display some or all of the symptoms.

I give Nissan credit for taking care of me as a customer. I'm 100% confident that if I would have purchased a domestic truck, I would have had more problems with it that I've had with my Titan. Now if only Nissan would build a HD Titan with a diesel...........of course, keep the body styling of the Titan as-is - no need to change it 'cause it looks great!

#24 ·
In BBF first post, it said to just change out the IPDM, costs about $100 and takes 5 min to fix. Try that, then if it still has problems, send it back to the dealer.

#23 ·
the original fix was to replace the entire IDPM. but they were always hard to find or on back order. and expensive. so the recall is just for the relay only and not the board? and why did the dealer let it off the lot if the problem wasn't fixed?

#25 ·
Recall on 10/28/2010

I went and done this recall and now my truck is worse then it was before what should i do please help.

Recall Date:
OCT 28, 2010
Model Affected:
2005 Nissan Titan
Summary:
NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2006 ARMADA, TITAN, INFINITI QX56 AND MODEL YEAR 2005-2006 FRONTIER, PATHFINDER AND XTERRA VEHICLES. THE INTELLIGENT POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE (IPDM) ASSEMBLY CONTAINS AN ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) RELAY THAT HAS A DIODE FOR ELECTRICAL CURRENT NOISE REDUCTION. THE ECM RELAY MAY ALLOW SILICON VAPOR TO FORM AND, OVER TIME, THE SILICON EVAPORATES FROM THE DIODE MOLDING WHICH CAUSES SILICON OXIDE TO DEVELOP ON THE ECM RELAY CONTACT DUE TO ARCING.
Consequences:
THIS COULD CAUSE ENGINE STALLING INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ECM RELAY INSIDE THE IPDM ASSEMBLY. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 6, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/nissan/titan/recalls/index.html#ixzz1Eh4i614j

#26 ·
take it back. running worse how?

#27 ·
well when we got about 10 miles down the road on the way home it was stalling out and would barely move had to get some one to tow me the rest of the way home i called nissan in baytown and explained that the truck will not start they wanted me to bring it back up there but it is unable to drive and its a long way to tow it up there was hopeing maybe some one had some advice for me

#28 ·
first i've heard of things getting worse AFTER the repair. i hope someone can chime in.

#29 ·
so i guess no one is having this problem i call the dealer and get the run around this is my last nissan i should of never switched from chevy never had this problem with them and they always take care of there coustmers **** toyota does a better job then nissan does with their fixes at least the dont tell u to drive it back up there when it CANT DRIVE so AGAIN I TELL YOU DONT GO NISSAN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.