Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear differential cover gasket leak. Pictures included.

23K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mcginkleschmidt 
#1 ·
I've noticed that there is a pretty good size leak coming out of my rear differential cover gasket. It is centralized around that seal, so that's why i'm thinking that is the problem. Is there anything more to this fix than ordering a new cover gasket, draining, taking off the cover, cleaning gunk, replacing seal and cover, torquing the bolts back, replacing drain bolt, and filling to spec?

Is there any trick to this gasket? Can I just order one and slap it on? Should I put some thread tape on the drain bolt?

Thanks for any help, i'm a auto mechanic newbie but a motorcycle grease monkey.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It has a RTV silicone hi-tempgasket (comes out of a tube). I have a 04 also that came with a steel cover. They upgraded in later models, because of heat problems. Don't use any thread tape at all. You can clean up the cover and reapply RTV. But you should either get the new OE finned cover (new or used) or buy a mag-hytec cover (mt-44) that comes with a reusable gasket (I love mine). Or just buy the mag-hytec gasket by itself to make things easier. Also refill with synthetic gear oil 70-145 (another upgrade they didn't tell us). Hopefully your rear is not burned out when you open it up. And if you buy the mag-hytec be sure it comes with the e-brake bracket (you need it for the 04's).http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62058 mag-hytec link follows http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/inde..._id=24&zenid=49c71f90fdc6fcfd0031efbaf03241bd And you can use the install instructions on the mag-hytec page for installation of any cover.

#3 ·
I'm an owner of a 2004 Titan that came with the original steel diff cover. At about 17,200 miles when I replaced the OEM steel diff cover and a True-Trac diff, the gear lubricant was pretty much "cooked" even with mostly short trip driving. The color of the gear lube looked like blackstrap molasses.

I concur, get the e-brake bracket. Mag-Hytec used to supply it free of charge but may charge you a mailing fee. Mag-Hytec will give the bracket to you for free if you buy the cover from them but you will pay more for the cover by buying directly from Mag-Hytec.

One caveat, when you speak with Mag-Hytec about the free e-brake bracket, they will ask what year Titan you own. If you tell them anything other than 2004, they will simply tell you you don't need it. So for any 2005 and newer Titan owners who want to get the free e-brake bracket from Mag-Hytec, make sure you tell them you own a 2004 Titan.

I installed the cover and e-brake bracket and secured the metal brake line with a loop type metal clamp. Others simply secure the metal brake line with a zip tie. My method to secure the metal brake line may have been overkill but you can see it here: http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=5892&view=findpost&p=141421

#4 ·
I had a axle seal leak very minor on my 05 and the dealer replaced the whole rear end. Said there was a service bulletin on it. That was at 57k.

#5 ·
In the early years, Nissan did swap out the axle for just the Axle Seal leaks. This allowed them to investigate it better and argue with Dana on the cause/cost. Later, they did Seal Replacements instead. My Oil appeared dirty to them when they were doing the 2nd Axle seal, so they gave me an 08 Axle Assembly, but that took away my 1 year old True Trac! My cover is wet now, so will reseal very quickly.

#6 · (Edited)
For anyone with a leaking rear diff who might want to use an alternative product to the RTV silicone sealant, you might try the Lublocker reusable gasket. This gasket is bulletproof and I've never heard of one leaking.

The gasket can be used for any current Titan and it does not require the use of the Mag-Hytec diff and can be used with any diff cover.

You can find the gasket with this link: http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=73

Edit: Although the price for the Titan Lubelocker gasket of $18 is a more than fair price, if I didn't already have the Mag-Hytec diff cover that came with the reusable gasket, I doubt that I would buy one unless Mag-Hytec changes the cost for shipping the product. It would be a gross over-estimate to say the gasket weighs 8 ounces but Mag-Hytec shows 4 pounds as the shipping weight for the gasket with a shipping charge of $16.60 for UPS ground from CA to GA.

Just yesterday I shipped a 12 pound box, 37"x4"x27", of a custom framed picture from metro Atlanta to San Francisco by Fedex Ground for $13.62. For the same distance, CA to GA, a shipping charge of $16.60 for a one-pound shipment (true weight) is ludicrous. Unfortunately, the Lubelocker gasket that fits the Titan differential is only sold by Mag-Hytec.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.