Nissan Titan Forum banner

Will a Tonneau Cover improve mileage

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  SoonerTitan 
#1 ·
This post title says it all. Will the cover improve my mileage?????

#2 ·
maybe a few miles per tank,, not miles per gallon or at least it didn't for me...

#4 ·
A tonneau cover deducts so little from the drag coefficient you will not see much improvement. The reduction in drag is probably balance by the additional weight.

#6 ·
Have had one on all my trucks, and nope, but you can say it to the wife/gf if it helps to get the money spent easier... hahaha... All it does is keep stuff dry/safe..

ocwill1

#7 ·
On older trucks, yes, because they were literally boxes on wheels! On newer, more aerodynamic trucks such as ours, probably not much if any. I say this from experience on older trucks, but I have not bought one for my Titan. My dad has a newer truck with one, and he saw no improvement.

#9 ·
If you watch Mythbusters, no. According to them, it actually REDUCES gas mileage by effecting the airflow over the roof. Apparently the air comes over the roof, into the bed, and produces a low pressure pocket that allows for better fuel efficiency than when a tonneau cover is in place. I don't really understand what I just said either, but they were pretty convincing.

#10 ·
What if you were to remove the tailgate and drive like that???? I see alot of people at the drag strip with their tailgate down or completly removed. Plus I know our tailgates weight about alot. I put my tailgate down on a 100 mile trip one time to see if there was a difference put when I got there I was so pissed off from the rocks that flew up and chiped my tailgate I didnt care about the gas mileage, never do that again.

#11 ·
In support of the Mythbusters, check this site out by the National Research Council in Canada. According to their research, the tonneau cover is one of the best ways to increase gas mileage through aerodynamics. And, putting the tailgate down is one of the worst things you can do. They are not the Mythbusters. But, I'd say they are creditable. LOL

http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/highlights/2007/0705uplands_e.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.