Nissan Titan Forum banner

Ball drop question

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  doneuald 
#1 ·
So, my main question is: What is a good medium, average, standard ball drop for the Titan? I have a 2014 PRO4X CC and would only be pulling boats and trailers.

I've towed a lot over the years in the military and things of different sizes/weight, but not sure how much it matters and just wondering.

I was tempted to get the Reese 4-way, which has 1 7/8", 2", 2 5/16", and a tow hook attached. Speaking with some others who have towed a lot, they get those and don't worry so much about drop or rise. Wouldn't drop be for longer periods of towing and safety? Also, if there is a general ball park that seems to work based off of the Titan's height, what would that be? A 2 inch drop or more? I see on some websites that the 3 in drop with 4 inch rise was popular, but I don't know which is why I am asking.

Thanks so much for all your help, inputs, and advice! Take care guys.

-GT

#2 ·
I keep an assortment at home and a couple in the truck. I don't like any multi-hitch product, nor am I a fan of most adjustable height hitches.

If you own a trailer or have specific trailers that you pull often I suggest getting the correct drop to have the loaded trailer level to slightly lower at the hitch.

If you're looking to carry a hitch in truck just in case you need it the 3" drop is probably a good choice for 1 7/8" an 2" ball applications, a straight hitch for 2 5/16", and a 4"-6" rise for a pintle is probably good enough to get you home. If you lift, or lower, the truck adjust the drop/rise accordingly.

#3 ·
I tow a car on a steel (open) trailer and have been towing the same trailer since 1992. The drawbar needs to be low (or high) enough so the trailer you are towing with its load - and with whatever load you will have in the bed and cab - is level or slightly nose down to put the necessary tongue weight on the hitch. Without the proper tongue weight, your trailer will sway all over and create a very dangerous situation. My drawbar is a 4" drop and I use a 2 5/16" ball. Also, if the drawbar needs to have a sway control or if you need a load distributing hitch, you cannot use one of those 3 or 4 in-one drawbars anyway. Make sure you are using the right size ball so the trailer doesn't jump off the ball and goes sailing past you. Also remember to grease the ball. When towing, don't cheap out. Spend the money to tow safely.

#4 ·
Well...

I did back up to multiple trailers; boats, campers, flat beds, etc and with the same tongue weight avg I noticed a 2" drop would be it. I am getting multiple ones though.

Speaking with my grandfather who has been and still does tow, for 40+ years, was a gold mine of information. I was just looking for something general to start with initially as I would only be pulling small campers and finishing boats for now.

I went with the multi-ball and hook like he has for now, and building up my collection as needed.

As I mentioned though, it did seem from all the trailers that I backed up too, 2" drop is about a fair average for a 2" ball mount. These were all under 4k lbs though.

Thanks for the pointers and help. I really appreciate it, going to keep working on my variety. :big_grin:

-GT

#6 ·
for the most part I prefer level + 1 inch, i've towed for probably 40 years on and off the farm as a kid then in adult life pulling trailer from single axle utilities to mobile homes and have found even though tandem axle trailers have spreaders to even the weight between axles they will still load the rear axle slightly more if towed a little higher giving the wheelbase length a little longer and therefore more control. Just an observation on my part but it seems to work for me. I also use an adjustable and keep one in each vehicle I have so your prepared for stuff happening.
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.