Nissan Titan Forum banner

Programable key?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bandonbigfoot 
#1 ·
My first Titan that I bought brand new from the dealership in Anchorage came with three keys. One of these keys was a valet key. I bought my 07 LE used and abused. It came with one key and it wasn't even a nissan key. I read somewhere that when you buy a new key for the Titans, they need to be programed at the dealership. Is this true? I have never heard this before. I want to make a copy of my key so my wife will have one. Thanks.

#2 ·
Did that for my wifes toyota sure nissan does same for Titan , be ready to spend some cheese thou toyota charged me around 180 for that fancy a$$ key!:money-big:

#3 ·
Yes, it will need to be programmed at the dealership.

#4 ·
What does programming the key do? What functions would I lose if I just bought a key and had it cut? It's kind of funny to me because 6 years ago, when I bought my first Titan, the sales lady told me all about the truck. She showed me things I didn't even know about them. However, I didn't know about the keys until about 2 weeks ago. Funny side note, she was wearing heals. She told me that the headlights are unbreakable because they are made out of the same material that coke bottles are made of. She then took off a heal and slammed it into the headlight several times repeatedly. It freaked me out! I was thinking, "NO!!! I am buying this truck!" ;)

#5 ·
If you are looking for a simple and cheap solution - and less pocket bulge:
I would think that if you tucked your one programmed key into the steering column housing, you could use $2 flat metal chipless keys to open the doors and tailgate, and to turn the ignition switch.
Using the $2 key alone runs the starter and all, but no start.
BTW, remote key fobs can be programmed by you. But not the keys.

#6 ·
agreed. my wife just bought to key fobs off of ebay for her xterra. and programmed them both. but the dealer has to do the keys. my XE doesn't need the chip, no stock alarm obviously.

#7 ·
If you don't have the keys programmer the truck will not start. It's the oem theft protection. Even if you get a remote start you have to get a module that holds an extra key in it forever or most of the time you can use a different model that has a small transmitter that you attach to the key hole behind the dash. The alarm can learn the key signal and send it for remote start.
You can get Nissan blank keys with the chip in them pretty cheap on eBay but I have no idea how much the stealership will charge you to program them.

#8 ·
Some locksmiths can program the key. Remember, if you have a key programmed you must take ALL your keys with you; they must all be programmed at the same time.

#9 ·
Im not sure if you have any ace hardware stores near you but they can usually program keys for most vehicles. I have had them make me chip keys for ford and lexus in the past. I dont know for sure if they have nissan keys or have the ability to program them but they are way way cheaper than the dealer. I want to say the last ford key I had made cost me around 20-25 bucks compared to over 150 at the dealer. Its worth a shot if you have any close to you.

#10 ·
x2 on that, dealers will rip you a new one on the price.

#11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I figured it would be a stealership item, but I didn't understand why. That clears it up. Thanks!

#12 ·
I know this is a old thread but for the south Jersey people I ordered a keyless entry remote along with a uncut key for my 2006 Titan off of Discount Keyless on Amazon. I had the key cut at a locksmith but he was unable to program the key. I took the key to JR Flood locksmith in the Berlin Mart in Berlin NJ and the guy programed it for free. The dealer wanted 65.00 to do the same thing. Key and remote work great and it cost me less then half of what Nissan wanted for just programing the key.

#14 ·
I got remotes and chip keys off Ebay really cheap from Remotes For Less, for my daughter's Titan and my Ford, and had them cut and programmed at a local locksmith and Walmart for $20 . On the Ford, if you have 2 keys, you can program the rest yourself in-car. Maybe you can do the Titan also, I learn more about them every day.

#15 ·
Good ideas! Thanks all!

#16 ·
RE: 2004 Titan SE. I purchased 2 chiped keys from EBAY, had a local locksmith cut the keys, and am now trying to find someone to program them. I have two good working keys, and saw a thread on here somewhere that gave directions on DIY key programming. Anyone know where that thread is, I would like to give it a try?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.