Nissan Titan Forum banner

lockers

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RedTitanLE 
#1 ·
Can some one help me out with all the different types of lockes out there. I do a little 4 wheeling and would like to dune the truck. I have 37" tires and banks exhaust. I am not affraid to spend the money. Just hate to do something twice...

#6 ·
coyotesniper said:
If I am correct, the TrueTrac replaces the e-locker. It is a much stronger diff. I could be wrong though.
That is basically it, the trutrac replaces the entire differential assembly in the rear, essentially all that is left from the stock axle are the ring and pinion gears, and axle shafts.

#9 ·
Re: Lockers

Yes you can, but think before you do that. For nearly all offroading an E-Locker is much more useful than an LSD. I say most as in Pre-Running (desert racing), you'd really never use a locker. In fact, most of the pro Pre-Running rigs are 2WD. That's a very small part of the offroad scene though.

For everything else offroad, you're much better off with an E-Locker.

Do you have an 06 or 07 model Titan? If so, and it has E-Locker, you have the new, upgraded Nissan rear end with the 4 ring & pinion setup. If you have an 04 or 05 model (mine's an 05) and it fails like mine did, Nissan will replace it under warranty with the upgraded model.

If you pull out that rear end and replace it with the True-Trac and have a problem, you may be in warranty trouble. For example, my rear end failed because I had an axle seal leak and all the fluid leaked out which burnt up the rear end. My dealer confirmed this by cracking the cover on my rear diff. If you had a similiar axle leak and the dealer cracked your cover and saw your True-Trac, do you think it would be quite so neat and easy? Perhaps it would, perhaps not.

I'd just advise thinking through what you want to do with the truck before you go replacing parts such as that. The True-Trac is not as capable a rear end as your factory E-Locker for nearly all offroading situations.

Regards,

John

#10 · (Edited)
JohnCalifornia said:
Yes you can, but think before you do that. For nearly all offroading an E-Locker is much more useful than an LSD. I say most as in Pre-Running (desert racing), you'd really never use a locker. In fact, most of the pro Pre-Running rigs are 2WD. That's a very small part of the offroad scene though.

For everything else offroad, you're much better off with an E-Locker.

Do you have an 06 or 07 model Titan? If so, and it has E-Locker, you have the new, upgraded Nissan rear end with the 4 ring & pinion setup. If you have an 04 or 05 model (mine's an 05) and it fails like mine did, Nissan will replace it under warranty with the upgraded model.

If you pull out that rear end and replace it with the True-Trac and have a problem, you may be in warranty trouble. For example, my rear end failed because I had an axle seal leak and all the fluid leaked out which burnt up the rear end. My dealer confirmed this by cracking the cover on my rear diff. If you had a similiar axle leak and the dealer cracked your cover and saw your True-Trac, do you think it would be quite so neat and easy? Perhaps it would, perhaps not.

I'd just advise thinking through what you want to do with the truck before you go replacing parts such as that. The True-Trac is not as capable a rear end as your factory E-Locker for nearly all offroading situations.

Regards,

John
I agree that a locker is better for rock crawling, but I would say the trutrac would be more useful for the casual off-roader, such as when hunting, mudding a little, or other light stuff, since the e-locker is only for slow speeds in 4 Lo. I know for me, the trutrac would be more useful at least, since its always "on" so to speak and works well at higher speeds, or when excessive wheelspin is needed.

I'm not trying to start an argument, as I know both devices have their place, just my opinion.

Your warranty points are very true though.

#11 ·
Re: Offroad

Not just rock crawling, but any application where you need to apply heavy, distributed torque to your entire rear axle. I do a LOT of offroading here in SoCal, nearly all of which is in 4LO, aired down to 15 psi. Almost none of that is rock crawling though, which I just don't enjoy.

Rock crawling (at least to me) seems to be more of a technical thing where the goal is to make it up and over seemingly impossible obstacles. The offroading I enjoy is scenic based. I like to go on the offroad trails here that may be very challenging, but are really the means to an end, which is to enjoy the scenery and overall experience.

Hope that makes sense. I guess my point is that in most offroading situations, you'll be better off with your factory E-Locker and LSD. Let's not forget that on the 4WD models with E-Locker, Nissan already includes a pretty good LSD.

Not knocking the True-Trac here as I understand it is very nice. I'm only suggesting that before ripping out your already very capable and warranted rear end to think long and hard about it.

Regards,

John

#12 ·
JohnCalifornia said:
Not just rock crawling, but any application where you need to apply heavy, distributed torque to your entire rear axle. I do a LOT of offroading here in SoCal, nearly all of which is in 4LO, aired down to 15 psi. Almost none of that is rock crawling though, which I just don't enjoy.

Rock crawling (at least to me) seems to be more of a technical thing where the goal is to make it up and over seemingly impossible obstacles. The offroading I enjoy is scenic based. I like to go on the offroad trails here that may be very challenging, but are really the means to an end, which is to enjoy the scenery and overall experience.

Hope that makes sense. I guess my point is that in most offroading situations, you'll be better off with your factory E-Locker and LSD. Let's not forget that on the 4WD models with E-Locker, Nissan already includes a pretty good LSD.

Not knocking the True-Trac here as I understand it is very nice. I'm only suggesting that before ripping out your already very capable and warranted rear end to think long and hard about it.

Regards,

John
For those of us without the factory e-locker, TruTrac is our only option.

#13 ·
JohnCalifornia said:

Regards,

John
thanks for clearing some things for me, you brought some real good points. I've thought about the true-trac just because i have a 2wd. Wish i had 4wd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.