Nissan Titan Forum banner

Cat issue

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Canadian Miner 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I just found out yesterday that I have a broken Catalytic converter issue. While replacing my resonators I found that the RH catalytic converter had broken completely apart. The first picture is from the LH and the RH is shown in the next photo, the last photo shows a chunk of it that had traveled into the resonator. What started all of this is one night I was coming home, I got on it while getting on the interstate and I heard a noise that almost sounded like something broke then it started running rough with loss of power so I limped it home. The next day I limped it to have it scanned, the scanner showed P0300 (multiple misfire) then P0308 (misfire cylinder 8). I haven't been driving it much other than making trips to the auto parts store for scanning. I think I've figured out the misfire issue, I hope. I don't live in a state that have required vehicle inspections, would it cause any mechanical failures if I were to just gut them both out? In my non-professional opinion it'd be kinda of like running long tube headers if I were to gut out both of them. I've read somewhere that if this cat issue did happen that some of the fibers could get sucked back into the motor and the only way to fix it would be to be replace the motor. Is there a way to tell this?

Sorry for the long post but I'm honestly concerned that I have expensive days ahead of me.
05 XE 4x4, Approx. 114,000 miles

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Primary, just behind the headers

#4 ·
Success, For any future on lookers below is what I had to do to get my truck running back to normal.

• Replaced boots on the coil packs with NGK CPB-N002. Once replaced I could definitely tell a difference in the way it drove but it still wasn't 100%, almost like it couldn't breath normal. For anyone changing the spark plugs, replacing these at the same time maybe a good idea, for something so easy to replace that caused me so many issues or you could simply replace the coils packs if you don't feel comfortable replacing the boots.

• I replaced my Resonators that are just behind the the Primary Cat's, by doing this is when I spotted the Catalytic Converter issue.

• It was recommended by some to replace the Cat's if I wasn't going to the long tube header route because it could affect the A/F ration. I limped it to my local Muffler shop that I trust and they replaced both for $700

My engine light has been on for a while, even before I changed my spark plugs, for an Catalyst Inefficiency code which I thought might be a faulty O2 sensor. Or at least this was the case for my wife's van. I've bought a set of rear O2 sensors but just haven't installed them yet. I was waiting to take care of the Cat's first. The tech at the muffler shop cleared the codes for me after talking to me about the misfire that it was showing, so I filled him in of what has taken place! So far it hasn't come back on, but it did take a couple of days to come back on once it was cleared before. And so far the truck is running like normal. After talking to one of my co-workers, he told me that he replaced three of Cat's in his Jeep Cherokee. He also said that all three looked exactly like mine and that they lasted for about 100K miles and yes he has over 300K miles on it.

Happy trails to all and I plan on running the wheels off my "paid for" "T".

#5 ·
You were definitely due for some new plugs. Hopefully the new cats keep you going. If the code comes back I would have your muffler shop check your exhaust manifolds. They are known for cracking around 70-80K. Especially the pre '08 manifolds.

#6 ·
OK, thanks for the info.

#7 ·
Little to my knowledge, no ones fault but my own, and for not investigating my issue further apparently I have the dreaded cracked header issue. I should have researched it further on the forum because honestly I had know idea that this was a common issue with our trucks. That money spent on the CAT's just went blowing in the wind, hey look up everyone you might see some of it blowing overhead for you to catch :duh: . I recently talked to Jeff at Cajun, so I'm waiting on my tax return before moving further. I'd figure I'd be out about the same amount Jeff offers on his website for the first package deal with LT JBA's, UpREV Street-Tune, and Catted B-Pipes.

Questions concerning UpREV, it's new to me, I've never street-tuned any of my vehicles in my 25+ years of driving, and I need advice. I understand you can have up to 3 maps or more for the 2005 XE. What do most people go with? I would definitely have one that's 87 octane and maybe one that's 93. I've heard that it really wakes the truck up, other than that IDK.

I can't for the life of understand why :wink: , but I'm kind of excited about installing them. While under my truck installing my Home Brew Grounding Kit, I spent about 30 minutes laying there looking at the areas where I'll be working on the headers and what to possibly expect.

#9 ·
Did you notice the crack from underneath? Were there any signs that made you check after you had your cats replaced? I bought my 04 in November and it is right around the mileage these are supposed to go and right now mine runs very well. I do plan to get with CAJUNBPIPES and order the setup you have when I have more dinero.
Thanks for any information.

#8 ·
04s are limited to 3 tunes, 05+ have 5. Basically you can tune for just about anything you want but in most cases there's only two fuel maps: Low (87-89) octane, and 93 octane. My 5 tunes: 87 'Stockish', 87 Performance, 93 Performance, 93 Towing, and 87 Economy. All the 87 tunes run the same fuel map so they all basically perform the same, there are differences in the other parameters so driving does feel slightly different. I'd like to say the 93 Performance tune is for maximum output and the 93 Towing tune is for torque but other than the speed limiter settings there's no perceptible difference between them.

#11 ·
Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind. What about the Rev limiter and max speed what do most do with that?

#12 ·
UpRev said to leave the rev limiter stock, which unless I was racing or into a major performance build I absolutely agree with.

Speed limiter is basically up to you. You should know/consider that the vehicle speed limiter should not exceed the vehicle limits, specifically the tire speed ratings. I remember a time when Ford 4x4's were limited to 150 kph, and 2x4's 160 kph; the reason for the difference was the tires. You can choose different levels for each tune. For example: 87 Stock, 93 Towing, and 87 Economy are left stock; 87 Perfomance and 93 Perfomance are set higher.

There may also be options for Torque Management, Throttle Mapping, and Timing. I'd recommend doing your research and talking to UpRev before you place your order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.