What type of antifreeze? - Nissan Titan Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
ekroliko
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What type of antifreeze?

I just noticed that Ive got an antifreeze leak somewhere. Before I can get it to the dealer for repair, I'd like to put some in it just to be safe. I know it calls for a 50/50 ratio, but anyone got any tips on brands or what type of antifreeze I need?

The owners manual says that it needs "genuine NISSAN Long Life Anti-freeze Coolant or equivalent". So whats the equivalent? Im guessing Im not going to find genuine NISSAN Long Life Anit-Freeze Coolant anywhere but the dealership and the auto-parts store and WalMart are just around the corner.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 05:00 PM
M4ck
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to M4ck Send a message via MSN to M4ck
I would think that any good Name Brand would do for this. If it were motor oil I would not say that. But anitfreeze I don't think is that big a deal. Anyone think there is a big difference in antifreezes?
M4ck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--Updated
2004 XE KC 4x2 Radiant Silver | DYNO: HP 350.16 TQ 404.68
Surgeon General never said anything about smoking a Hemi!

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Airaid TBS : Westin Bull Bar : Aries Oval OffRoad Steps
: UPREV Tune 93 Octane/Nitrous

Josh M.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
ekroliko
Shift_lurker

That's what I figured, but I didnt want to jeapordize anything. I know my Pontiac requires a special kind of antifreeze (the orange stuff). The TITAN has the green stuff.

On a side note what's everyones favorite oil to use. I'll have an oil change coming up in a few weeks that I'll tackle myself.

Sittin\' on my stoop, sippin\' a 40 yo!

\'04 Black 4x4 Crew SE/ off-road pkg / fiberglass tonneau cover / utili-track w/ bed divider & bed extender / tow pkg / RF stereo & DVD

post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
M4ck
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to M4ck Send a message via MSN to M4ck
For me and many others here it is Mobil 1 0 40. Some use different weights but a lot of us use Mobil 1. Very good product. http://www.clubtitan.org/postt116.html here is some good reading but there are lots of other articles. Run a search you should find plenty of info.
M4ck

<--Updated
2004 XE KC 4x2 Radiant Silver | DYNO: HP 350.16 TQ 404.68
Surgeon General never said anything about smoking a Hemi!

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Airaid TBS : Westin Bull Bar : Aries Oval OffRoad Steps
: UPREV Tune 93 Octane/Nitrous

Josh M.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 07:17 PM
JetTech
Shift_Obsessed

I probably should chime in here because mixing different brands and ratings of A/F can and will cause the mixture to thicken into a gooey nasty substance.

It's been a while since I did the research so let's see if I can remember. The Dex-Cool, the pinkish/red stuff is not to be mixed with any other brand. So don't add any of that in there. The orange/yellow (amber) colored A/F is used by chrysler and mercedes and it too has to be kept unmixed. There's something else I'm forgetting, it's not coming to me right now but just use an A/F that is green for the time being.

I believe it is Prestone who has an A/F out that they claim can be mixed with anything...It seems odd to me, they must of been able to overcome the thickening issues when mixing different brands. Oh well, stay green to be on the safe side.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
NateL
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekroliko
That's what I figured, but I didnt want to jeapordize anything. I know my Pontiac requires a special kind of antifreeze (the orange stuff). The TITAN has the green stuff.

On a side note what's everyones favorite oil to use. I'll have an oil change coming up in a few weeks that I'll tackle myself.
Any Green Anti-freeze should work just fine, there is really no noticable difference between brands of the green stuff(ethylene-glycol? or it could be propylene glycol, one is the enviro-friendly stuff and I always get them mixed up), just pick up a bottle of the cheapest stuff(the store brand) Make sure to never mix any of the other colored ones with the green stuff. Jet is right, it will turn into a nice thick gooey substance that can actually cause corrosion.
As far as oil goes, I used to always use Royal Purple, but not working in the parts business anymore the stuff isn't as easy to come by. Now I use Mobil 1, I can't say I've noticed any great mileage improvements, but with the synthetic I don't feel as bad if I go over a little bit on my oil changes.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
ekroliko
Shift_lurker

Thanks guys.. I picked up some of the green stuff today at lunch and added it. They do have a kind that's pre-mixed 50/50 and says can be added to any anti-freeze. Its green though, so I don't think I would add it to any other color either..

Looks like that the differences in antifreeze were signified by color. I figured as much, but I couldn't remember if there were differences in the greens.. looks like they are pretty much all the same.. thanks again.

\'04 Black 4x4 Crew SE/ off-road pkg / fiberglass tonneau cover / utili-track w/ bed divider & bed extender / tow pkg / RF stereo & DVD
post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 PM
NateL
Shift_Fanatic

the only difference in the greens is that they are either propylene-glycol, or ethylene-glycol(safe for the dog to drink or not). I'm sure different companies use different additive packages, but they all meet the same specs when it comes to the green stuff.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2005, 03:25 AM
KYFHO
Shift_Enthusiast

Out of curiousity, where was the leak?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
ekroliko
Shift_lurker

Hey KYFHO, sorry for the delayed response. Ive been out for the past 2 weeks so I havent been able to check out the site. I had a leak in the radiator tank seam. They ordered me a new radiator, said that was SOP.

I also had them put in a rattle kit to take care of a couple dash rattles.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode