post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
ABE
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of oil should I use?

Hey Guys,

It's about time for me to change my oil. It's actually overdue :? I'm new to the truck scene and don't know what to use. I've used CASTROL SYNTEC on my Acura Integra for years and was extremely happy with it. Can I use this on my Titan? Also, what viscosity is good for trucks? I currently live in hell. (Phoenix, AZ) so I was thinking 10W-40? I'm moving to Houston, TX in about a month and the humidity is higher there. So many options....

Oh!?, filter suggestions would be nice too...

2004 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2
Blizzard White
Captain Seats
Big Tow
Bed Extender
OEM Fogs
K&N Filter
Billet Upper and Lower Grille
Castrol Syntec
Need Some Lightweight Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2005, 05:15 PM
TheSquid
Banned
Shift_Hardcore

I'll help you out.

Oil filter, stock or whatever brand you like. (Everyone is different.)

The truck doesn't really like 10W30 (The top end will really chatter at startup with 10W30) most people are running either 0W40 or 5W30 oil.
Here's the link to the Oil analysis that people have submitted of different oils and viscosity's.

http://www.clubtitan.org/postt53.html

I just got done running that new Mobil 1 15,000 mile extended Protection 5W30 to 7,000 miles and here's my analysis.
http://www.clubtitan.org/modules.php...wnload&id=4991

I'm presently half way to a 9000 mile run with the same oil and should have the test results toward the end of next month.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 05:27 AM
NorCal 4x4
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1) I ran Mobil1 5w30 for one change, per owner's manual interval, w/Nissan filter. Seem to run fine but looked brown sooner than I would have thought. Not real scientific but ...
"The Mobil 1® 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the approved and the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:
* GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
* Ford WSS-M2C929-A
* ACEA A1/B1
* ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)
"

2) Switched to the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 on the last change, per owner's manual interval. This oil is a.k.a M1 15,000 mile oil. Same early browning.
"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 meets the following industry approvals:
* ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5
* API SL
* It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

All Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have been tested to be fully compatible with engine seals and conventional oils. A special oil filter is not required.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 37 percent more cleaning agents, and 36 percent more anti-wear additives than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 Extended Performance with the Advanced SuperSyn System helps keep engines running like new and helps extend engine life by reducing wear and oil breakdown. Please follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty."

3) Next change will be back to old M1, but in the 0W40 weight. The European car makers have approved of this sole M1 offering:
"Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:
* Mercedes MB 229.5
* BMW Longlife 01
* Porsche Approval List 2002
* VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
* GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
* GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
* ACEA A3, B3/B4
* API SM/CF

Exceeding industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides the widest range of protection -- providing the extreme cold start protection of an 0W grade and the high temperature protection of an SAE 40 grade".
Data sheets for the above are at mobil1.com
Redline and Amsoil are very good, but until they are available at my local Walmart or Kragen, Mobil1 is good enough for my Titan.

Silver '04 Titan SE Crew Cab 4x4 w/E-LOCK® - Born on 05/18/04 in the USA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Off-Rd., Big Tow, Side-Air-Bag, Utility-Bed, R-Fosgate w/Capt. w/gated 5-spd. auto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... 33.5" Toyo M/Ts;

post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 01:50 PM
misery-tom
Banned
Shift_Hardcore

im running the mobil 1 super synthetic (15k) 5w30 and love it!

my $0.02
post #5 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
ABE
Shift_Newbie

So what do you guys think of Castrol Syntec 10W-40?

2004 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2
Blizzard White
Captain Seats
Big Tow
Bed Extender
OEM Fogs
K&N Filter
Billet Upper and Lower Grille
Castrol Syntec
Need Some Lightweight Wheels
post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2005, 08:38 PM
CLG
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE
So what do you guys think of Castrol Syntec 10W-40?
If you like Castrol Syntec try to find some 0w30 made in germany at auto zone its made with better base stock than the rest of the syntec line. Other than that M1 5w30 ep is the way to go the Titan seems really happy with both quiet, NO consuption, and good oil analsys results what more can you ask for?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Renegade45
Shift_Enthusiast

A good quality oil and filter will work great, just stay within the viscosity outline in the owners manual and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Born-10/30/04
White LE CC OR 4X4
Big Tow, Utility Bed, Bed Extender, Fog Lights, Bushwacker FenderFlares, APS Billet Grill, Weathertech Vent Visors, Lund Bug Shield, Stainless Door Pillars, Stainless Window Sills, Chrome Tailgate trim, Factory Tube Steps, PIAA Silicone Wipers, Gibson 3" Stainless Single, Sway-A-Way's, PRG UCA's, DR Rear Shocks, Deaver 2 1/2" Rear Spring Pack, Pro Comp Extremes. BFG AT 315x70x17, Westin Bull Bar, PIAA Driving Lights, Wireless Keypad, True Trac, Amsoil and a Corn Fed Chick in the P/S.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 04:38 PM
GR8SHOT
Shift_Enthusiast

I have been running Castrol Syntec 5w-30 since my first oil change and it works great. Comes out almost as clean as it went in. Engine is quiet and runs smoothly with good, for a Titan, gas mileage of 17mpg. I use a Purolator Pure One filter and change every 5000 miles. I Have used Castrol products in all my nissan Z cars over the years, (6 of them) and in my 2 nissan trucks and have never had any oil related problems.

Later,
Tim

2004 NISSAN TITAN XE 4X4 CREW CAB, RED BRAWN, K&N WITH AIRBOX MOD, 285/70/17 BFG ALL TERRAINS, CUSTOM 3" EXHAUST WITH FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES,6000K HID HEADLIGHT CONVERSION, SILVER STAR HIGH BEAMS, LINE-X BED LINER, BLACK TOOL BOX, PAINTED ENGINE COVER. SPRING HELPER MOD.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 05:10 PM
DESTRO
Shift_Enthusiast

What is the opinion on this?

I was looking at the oil selection at Walmart today and happened by the Shell Rotella shelf. I thought that after getting rid of my Powerstroke for my Titan I would never look here again. I notice there was a Synthetic 5W-40 that has the ratings needed for our engines. Has anyone tried this oil for our application? I know the price is comparable with the othen synthetics at this store but the viscosity range seems like good coverage for cold starts and hot runs down the highway.

DESTRO

2005 Titan XE Crew Cab RED ALERT Rescued from the lot 30 July 2005 Leaf spring mod at 68 miles, R-Type garage door opener at 463 miles,PRG Leveling Kit 799 miles, 7 spoke Titan Offroad wheels with facotry tires, SE chrome grille and bumper, AutoExtreme TBS, ActiveTuning Grounding Kit, SE step rails, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, JBA Evol Exhaust, AEM clone intake, Sirius Sportster on custom console, Farted in the drivers seat to mark my territory, Scangauge

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode