Nissan Titan Forum banner

BFG Rugged Trail Tires

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Kronos1965 
#1 ·
Hello All. I'm just curious, I've read alot of negative reviews on the BFG Rugged Trail tire. Why do so many people not like this tire. I just turned 40,000 miles on my '06 TITAN, and will need to replace my tires soon. The Rugged Trails came stock on my truck, and personally I feel that 40k miles on this type of tire is rather good. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Should I stick with this tire, or go with something else? I tend to rotate my tires between 7,000 - 7,500 miles. Thanks, CHRIS

#2 ·
My only beef with BFG A/T's was that I was disappointed with the offroad traction and I didn't even get close to 40k out of the All-Terrain T/A's that I had.

If you like them, that's what matters most.

Personally, I like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos for close to OEM size and Nitto TerraGrapplers for Oversized best for A/T tires but I also like not having to worry too much when I run across a mildly wet mud hole in front of me.

#3 ·
My main complaint was they wore out way to quick. I think I only got about 12,000 miles on mine. Maybe it's the concrete roads and hot summers here, but I replaced them with the A/T's and am much happier. I have about 24,000 on these tires with almost zero noticable wear.
ef

#4 ·
I also had horrible traction in the mud and only got about 27,000 miles out of my stock BFG Rugged Trail's. I have since switched to the Nitto Terragraplers and love them, they have done great in the mud for me and have no road noise at all.

#5 ·
If you loved those just get a better tire like the toyo at/ nitto terragrapplers. You will be amazed by these. They are soo much better in every aspect. Better in sand, mud, dirt, onroad etc.. Not nearly as much hydroplaning wear better, take corners better, look better. lol list goes on and on.

#6 ·
I have the Rugged Trails and I posted almost the same question on another board. For me, the Rugged Trails are doing pretty good. They tow pretty well and behave well on dry pavement and on the highway. I have the BFG A/T KO on my '91 Ranger. In my experience, the A/T's are less well behaved on dry pavement but do better in deep snow (6"+) than the Rugged Trails.

#7 ·
Don't confuse the BFG Ragged Trails with the BFG AT's, there is no comparison.
The Ragged Trails are not rugged and should not be used on trails. They are are P-rated car tire and should not be put on a truck. There sidewalls are paper thin, their tread depth is very shallow and their weight capacity is pitiful.
I suppose that if you drive only on the highway and don't tow anything heavy and don't carry a load in the bed much, you may be satisfied.
My last 4 trucks have come with these useless tires and I have averaged maybe 12k miles.I still had tread left, but the sidewalls were shot form so many flats, those sidewalls even look sideways at a rock and they go flat.
I guess you could say that I really don't like the Ragged Trails.

#9 ·
Hey VA06Titan, I can't disagree with your decision to look at other tires. But my reasoning has very little to do with skyhammer's experience. The Rugged Trails do pretty good and I have few complaints. Until you look at how much you have to pay for them. $215 per tire is way overpriced.

I have already scoped out my next set of tires and I think I'll go with the Toyo Open County A/T's. They are less expensive, have a deeper tread and have a higher weight capacity.

#11 ·
If you go with the Toyo's let me know how you like them. I was pretty impressed with them on paper. I was looking at either the load range D or E tires. The site sponsor TD4L had a pretty decent price on them. I do wish they had a slightly oversized (from stock) model. I don't want to jump up too much. Just a little.

#14 ·
Here is what I had from the TireDeals4Less.com web site for
Toyo Open Country A/T LT 285/70-17 Load Range E:

Each Tire: 169
Shipping: 113.99
Shipping weight (each tire): 53 lbs
Weight rating: 3750
Tread Depth: 17/32"

#16 ·
firefightermatt said:
I also had horrible traction in the mud and only got about 27,000 miles out of my stock BFG Rugged Trail's.
I agree with ya, I changed mine out at 23,000 and probably could have gotten 27,000 but they would have been completely bold...lol. The reason I had to get rid of them in the winter is because I was not stopping on ice. And yes these tires suck on anything but paved roads.

#17 ·
Straight from TD4L:

TOYO Open Country AT P285 70R17 117T OWL
Item #300580
Versatile All-Terrain Light Truck Radial
Your Price: $149.95

TOYO Open Country AT LT285 70R17 121S OWL
Item #301400
Your Price: $169.99

TOYO Open Country AT LT285 70R17 126S E10
Item #301480
Your Price: $174.95

NITTO Terra Grappler LT285 70R17 126R E10
Item #200-830
The Terra Grappler™ offers year-round all-terrain performance. It was rated number one by a leading consumer magazine for its balance of exceptional wet and dry performance, while providing comfort with minimal road noise.
Your Price: $176.47

#18 ·
VA06TITAN said:
Hello All. I'm just curious, I've read alot of negative reviews on the BFG Rugged Trail tire. Why do so many people not like this tire. I just turned 40,000 miles on my '06 TITAN, and will need to replace my tires soon. The Rugged Trails came stock on my truck, and personally I feel that 40k miles on this type of tire is rather good. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Should I stick with this tire, or go with something else? I tend to rotate my tires between 7,000 - 7,500 miles. Thanks, CHRIS
I have an 04 and also got 40k out of the BFG Rugged Trails. If I had pushed it I could have got 44-45K. Rotated and keep aired to 35PSI, never had to even had those rebalanced. Now I have the BFG A/T's.

#19 ·
BFG Rugged Trails

I got 38k on my stock tires I believe.

I switched to the BFT AT/KO's and will buy another set of Bridgestone Dueller Revos as my road driving tires to save my off road ones.

My stock Rugged Trails plowed the sand that I drove in on the beach and I didn't find them helpful in the snow.

The AT/KO's did well off road and were of course less on dry pavement.

So I'm going to test the Bridgestones based upon the Forum members' recommendations...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.