Nissan Titan Forum banner

front floorboard still wet

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  chase 
#1 ·
I posted last week about a wet passenger side floorbaord. I got a response back about the condesation drain. The dealer said the drain was clogged, and fixed it. Wrong. Three days later it is wet under the mat again. Anyone else have problems like this,twice?? I did get the new brake fix on my first trip in with 3500 miles. That made me happy for a little while. Anyway any help with the water issue would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
After the drain was fixed was the passenger side dry when
you left the dealer.......was the carpet & padding replaced?
If it was dry when you left the dealer, did it get wet again
after it rained? I owned a car that had an improperly
sealed joint on the firewall that let water leak into the car.

#3 ·
A friend had the same problem. After three attempts to fix it they discovered paper in the AC duct. It got wet and plugged the drain hole causing the water to drain on the floor. Apparently this was from the factory.

#4 ·
The exhaust pipe passes under the passenger floor board and its heat can cause the moisture to show up if the carpet was never throughly dried after your A/C overflow was fixed.

You may want to check for another source of the moisture as well.

Has it been raining? Do you ever park on an incline with the back end higher than the front?

If so, check the vent at the rear of the cab on the passengers side. There is a "flapper" gasket that can leak. Is the rear carpet wet at all where it meets the back of the cab and along the door moldings?

If it is you should take it back to the dealer for warranty or DIY:

Take out the rear seat, floor and side moldings, pull back the carpet on the floor and cab back then hit the back of the cab where it meets the bed with a hose. See if water is getting in through this gasket. If it is, you will note that the water runs along the door sills to the front floorboard on the passenger side if you are parked on any sort of incline.

It is an easy fix, just shim the vent gasket where it meets the cab wall and then silicone seal the entire edge, presto no more leak, no more wet carpet.

You can dry the carpet and backing with towels and a blow dryer, but do it right away so that mold doesn't form. That causes the odor.

Good luck, hope this solves the problem for you and anyone else who may come across this.

#5 ·
Hey Galaxy!!

You may have seen my post earlier...I had the same problem. First they said my drain tube was blocked and fixed it.... Passanger side carpet still got wet. Then they said I was missing the down tube on the engine side of the firewall. But, it still leaked after they ordered and installed a new one. Finally, they made a rigged system with heater hose and radiator hose that stopped the leak.

Here's what to do to see if your leak is like mine.

Reach under the dash beneath and behind the glove box just at the top of the carpet on the passanger side. There should be a big foam rubber (black) gasket that seals of the drain tube opening where the a/c drain tube goes thru the firewall.

After the A/C has been running a few minutes, lift this foam rubber "seal" with your fingers. In other words try to get your fingers to go thru the hole in the firewall where the drain tube goes through. As I lifted my seal and ran my fingers thru the opening, water would trickle down the inside of the firewall and under a rubber mat that is under the carpet. Once water got all the way down to the floor part, it would evaporate up to the floor mat and condense on the rubber backing of the floor mat.

If this is your problem...make the service manager put his fingers in this area so he can see where the water is coming from.

I bet you are having the same problem I did.

Also, when they finally get it fixed...Have them replace your carpet. My service manager replaced mine without question. But, I specifically told him I wanted it done. You didn't pay good money for smelly mildewed carpet. If it doesn't smell now it probably will before long. Mine did.

Good luck...Hope this helps

#6 ·
Hey Chase that sounds exactly like my problem. I will check it out in the morning and see if that is it. Thanks for the other input too guys. This website is awesome. The first time I took it in the services guy couldn't believe that I has an answer to the problem. I told him that it was CLUB TITAN that got me the answer. Thanks again to all who answer the post.

#8 ·
Yeah, I've been noticing a slight smell of mildew inside every once in a while. It rained a little in my window a couple of months ago, but not very much and I aired it out very quickly. I'm very suspicious now though. I haven't noticed my carpet being wet, but I don't spend very much time on the passenger side either.

#9 ·
It doesn't usually take long for condensation to build up on the back of the floor mat. The heat generated by the exhaust under the passanger side floor board will drive the moisture up and on to the back of the mat. It usually stays on the back of the mat for a while too after the truck is shut off and cools down.

chase

#11 ·
Goes to show water can come from just about anywhere and can be a pain to track down.

Chase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.