Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear Axle Seall Failure at 16K Miles

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  spody 
#1 ·
Well, add me to the list...I rotated my tires this afternoon, and when I pulled the left rear, I saw this.

I already knew what the problem was, and sure enough, I crawled under and saw this...

It's only the driver side that is leaking so far, and judging by how fresh and wet it looks, it started very recently. I called my dealership, and they can't take it till Tuesday morning. I am going to make them check and double check to make sure I don't need a whole new rear end as well, but I doubt it, since I don't think this has been leaking very long.

Anyway, I'll report what they said on Tuesday.

Oh yeah, on the same left, rear tire, one of my lugs was frozen on and stripped the stud when I backed it off, so I'm running 5 till Tuesday.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank god that this just popped up. I noticed that same thing on my rims the other day when I went back to the stock ones for winter. I just crawled under my truck and the drivers side has alot of fluid on it. Alot more that the pic up above shows. I just reported it to the link that AgTitan posted. Thanks alot guys.

#5 ·
Kingoftheroad said:
That really sucks but, if you can get it fixed under warranty, its not as bad.

I'll have to check mine but the last time I looked, it was dry as a bone under there.
It will definitely be under warranty, I've just under 16K miles.

#8 ·
I hope not because I have changed my floor mats

#9 ·
I've got some mods, but NOTHING at all that could have possibly caused this, birng it on, I'll gladly defend my mods.

#10 ·
bummer Jason. Easy fix none the less....say your not driving that truck very much....wanta loan it to me for a while?

#11 ·
RBsTitan said:
bummer Jason. Easy fix none the less....say your not driving that truck very much....wanta loan it to me for a while?
HAHA, I drive it everyday, just short distances...

#12 ·
Well, my truck is at the dealership and they could not finish today. No new rear needed, just a seal.

I did get a 2008 Titan for a loaner though, which is kind of cool, its a 2008 XE 4x4 Kingcab Longbed, and man is this thing LONG. Anyway, I thought it was cool they put me in a Titan for the day so I wouldn't suffer too much without mine!

#13 ·
Jaho1979 said:
Well, my truck is at the dealership and they could not finish today. No new rear needed, just a seal.

I did get a 2008 Titan for a loaner though, which is kind of cool, its a 2008 XE 4x4 Kingcab Longbed, and man is this thing LONG. Anyway, I thought it was cool they put me in a Titan for the day so I wouldn't suffer too much without mine!
Had you done the axle vent mod at all??? I bet the cap froze up and was sucking the seals in due to the excess vaccuum. I have 36,000 miles (25,000 since the axle vent mod), without a problem. My axles were recently slid out for the truetrac install... seals are good. Hope you get the truck back soon!

#14 ·
Blue_Water_Rush said:
Had you done the axle vent mod at all??? I bet the cap froze up and was sucking the seals in due to the excess vaccuum. I have 36,000 miles (25,000 since the axle vent mod), without a problem. My axles were recently slid out for the truetrac install... seals are good. Hope you get the truck back soon!
No axle vent mod, but I will probably get on it pretty quick once I get her back.

#16 ·
Jaho1979 said:

Which dealer gave you the Titan rental??

#17 ·
AgTitan06 said:
Which dealer gave you the Titan rental??
Sterling McCall Nissan...Mossy is closer to my house, but their service managers are pricks, I drive to Sterling McCall if I need something serious done.

#18 ·
Had my axle seals replaced a month ago and the losers didn't fill the rear diff. I take it in for service 2 weeks later and they say to me " the rear diff fluid is low and milky. Do you want to change it ?" I said to them that it was just in getting axle seals and asked why it wasn't changed at that time. "Because that's not covered under warranty" is what they said. I can't believe the mentallity of dealerships nowadays. They didn't even bother to ask if I wanted the diff fluid changed.
Oh ya, I guess I should mention that it took 5 weeks for them to get my truck in to do the axle seals and in that time it probably lost at least half the diff fluid. Very disappointed in the service dept. for that scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.