Nissan Titan Forum banner

my titan has broken 4 differentials i think i have cause

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JetTech 
#1 ·
ok i have an 06 2 wd xe no hitch nothing.it has 18600 miles and has broken a differential about every 3-4k miles.i have posted about this on other titan boards under the same user name.i have not had more than about 800 lbs in the bed and since no hitch no towing just a little spirited driving.all diffs have been full of metal shavings and hummed like a mother. i think i know why now here is a paste from another forum i posted on to save a lil time:
"ok i took truck in today for an alignment and here are the before and after specs.
front : camber left= -.05 right=.08 specified range -.09 to 0.6
caster left=2.9* right= 2.3* specified range 2.5 to 4.0 they could not adjust to within spec
now for the interesting part the rear specs
rear left camber=.2* rear right camber= -.2* and for the real screwed up part
left rear toe=.23* rear right toe= -.03*
now being that a titan has a live axle the toe should be damn near 0 deffinately not a quarter of a degree positive on one side and slightly negative on the other side.what do you guys think? could this be the root of my problems or am i the idiot they try and tell me i am?"
now remember all differentials have had severely worn spider gears.also what would cause them not to be able to adjust the caster? i was watching the tech he was prying on the front control arm and moving the wheel alot but it would not get within speck.the truck has never been curbed or wrecked and i have had it since it had 13 miles on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
The truck has had to have been in a wreck. I would go to the dealer and insist they correct the alignment. If they can't ask why. A body shop will be able to tell if the truck has been in an accident. If you bought the truck AS NEW I would seek a lawyer if it is true that it has been in a wreck.

#3 ·
i highly doubt it has been wrecked as i bought it with 13 miles on it.i have worked in and arround body shops since i was 5 and i cant find any evidence that the truck has been wrecked.i have put the truck on a rack and went over it verry thoroughly.also how would you correct rear toe? i have the feeling the mounts on the frame were put in the wrong place when the truck was made or it has a bad spring on the left side with the locator pin in the wrong place.as for the front alignment i dunno why they couldnt adjust the castor.

#4 ·
I'm sure you checked the vent tube on the new rear ends. I have heard that for a while there when these diffs were first failing that the techs forgot to connect the vent tubes and left them plugged

#6 ·
Give me some more info on the vent tube thing.

#8 ·
I don't understand how a live axle can have toe. The only way I can see it is if the axle wasn't perpendicular to the centerline of the truck, and then it would be the exact same amount of toe, positive on one side, and negative on the other. With 2 streight axles going into the center of the diff, if there was a significant amount of toe, I would think the bearings would get destroyed, among other things.

#9 ·
OK I have the breather Thanks

#10 ·
I think the axle tubes are bent puting an odd angle on the spider gears and tearing them apart? the only fix would be a new housing not just new gears.

#11 ·
i had my rear changed at 15k already my cousin also

#12 ·
tlmaniac said:
i highly doubt it has been wrecked as i bought it with 13 miles on it.i have worked in and arround body shops since i was 5 and i cant find any evidence that the truck has been wrecked.i have put the truck on a rack and went over it verry thoroughly.also how would you correct rear toe? i have the feeling the mounts on the frame were put in the wrong place when the truck was made or it has a bad spring on the left side with the locator pin in the wrong place.as for the front alignment i dunno why they couldnt adjust the castor.
I believe you have come up with the answer because there are only a couple of things that will cause rear toe problems. I would request a new set of springs. Your guess of a defective centering pin is mine also causing the toe problems, of which will cause excessive tire and spider gear wear. Perhaps you would have better luck contacting one of the Nissan tech reps. who might be more willing to accept this theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.