Nissan Titan Forum banner

CARB Approved CAI 2008 Titan

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Canadian Miner 
#1 ·
When I bought my truck in 2007 I purchased a S&B CAI system in 2008, well in 2014 was the 1st time to get it smoged in CA and they wouldn't pass it because the CAI wasn't CARB approved because I didn't know that it was only rated up to a 2007 Titan.
My question is what CAI system's are CARB approved for a 2008 Titan as I don't want to have to switch out the OEM one every two years?

Thanks

#2 ·
I believe my Airaid MXP came with a Carb sticker. However there website is less than helpful in finding details.

#3 ·
I just went through this. I wanted the Airaid MXP with the blue filter. NOT C.A.R.B. approved. Spoke with Airaid, the only current C.A.R.B. approved MXP is the one with the red filter (I think there is 3 different colored filters). No difference other than the color of the filter. The part number for the Airaid MXP with the red filter is 521-284.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input.
Another question, what's better, oil or non oil type filter and enclosed or open type box?

Thanks

#5 ·
Better? I would think that is a very subjective question. Everything I learned, I learned on this (or other) forums. Oiled, well you have to oil it. I believe I read there is a difference in H.P, between the two; oiled having more H.P. Not enough for me to want to add another task though. I'm not racing, just driving. Have no idea about the box, I'm sure like anything, there is varied opinions. The Airaid "open box" seals against the inside of the hood. Is it an "open" box? I don't know. Research it. I looked at a few different manufacturers, then decided on the MXP based on my needs, (and the more well versed opinions of the forum at large).

#6 ·
One downside to the red MXP that needs to be oiled is that I cannot clean it in the winter. I'd love to clean it and re-oil it now but I am going to have to wait until its no longer freezing outside.

#7 ·
The Airaid oiled filter flows more than the non-oiled, however both flow more air than a naturally aspirated VK56 can demand. Choice is yours but if the cost is similar I'd definitely choose the non-oiled.

Closed box is best, a good seal against the hood may be almost as good, a bad seal against the hood will pull in hot engine bay air, and a completely open box will only pull in hot engine bay air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.