Nissan Titan Forum banner

Parking Brake Problem

22K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  italyguy01 
#1 ·
Last night when i pulled into my driveway & engaged my parking brake, i heard a weird clank, then springy noise under my T. Also, the parking brake peddle now has hardly any resistance on it. I checked under the truck & found the parking brake cable running out of the underneath of the cab was still in place. I followed it down to where there's a bracket, where it split's off. the two smaller cables & spring were still attached, but the right side cable (running to the right rear side has slack in it. If i pull on the cable that is slack it moves back & forth, just has slack in it. weird...

Anyone have or heard of this problem? Thank's!

Posting pic's now...

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you tried removing the rear rotor to look at the pads in the drum?
Drum? I haven't opened it up yet, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I still have brakes, but no parking brake. I'll check the pad's, but when i pulled in the driveway & engaged the parking brake, i heard a distinct noise (like something snapped, then sprung back).

...on closer inspection, i noticed my rear pad's are shot. The right one is worn down so far the screamer tab is gone. (never heard a squeak) & the left is right to the tab. I'll have to get inside the right brake & see what's up w/ the ebrake cable? I don't see how it's related to the pad's being bad. When i pressed the ebrake real hard i heard a snap. Time to get some new rear brake pad's at least!

Might try some EBC pad's. I heard their pretty good. Any other info is much appreciated! Thank's.

#6 ·
Your Parking Brake is actually a Drum Brake inside your Rear Rotors, it's seperate from your calipers. The Rotor plays the roll of the Drum and there are little Shoes inside of it. You'll have to remove a Rear Rotor to see it, I haven't found any decent pics to show, but it is a typical Drum Brake.

#7 ·
I knew I should have taken pics of mine!!! I just finished my complete R1 Brake and Pad upgrade..... And I'm certainly not going to dismantle her just for fun... lol

#8 ·
Your Parking Brake is actually a Drum Brake inside your Rear Rotors, it's seperate from your calipers. The Rotor plays the roll of the Drum and there are little Shoes inside of it. You'll have to remove a Rear Rotor to see it, I haven't found any decent pics to show, but it is a typical Drum Brake.
May be possible that your rear drum brakes are out of adjustment.Is so then I think you should reset the slack in the cable and pull the drums off and check it out for it.
Have you tried removing the rear rotor to look at the pads in the drum?
there's a little adjuster five star on the left rear rotor. Check it while you're checking the rear pad
Thank's for the info guy's! I'm ordering some "Green Stuff" brake pad's here in a few day's, then i'll start investigating. Once i get the rear brake's taken apart i'll check it out.

Is there a separate brake drum pad i'm going to need to buy also?

#9 ·
Chances are.... sounds like you will need to replace the hardware and shoes in the rear rotors.....
http://www.r1concepts.com/NISSAN/AR...nt Caliper/HARDWAREKITS/SearchResultsPage.htm

You may even need to replace that one rotor if it was damaged inside the drum. But even if you don't... This would be the perfect time for you to think about doing an R1 Concepts Brake Upgrade since you are already down there!!

**Plus they are one of our Site Sponsors!!

#11 ·
Yea, i'll be replacing my rear pad's at least next weekend. While i got it open i'll check out the drum pad. That link for r1concept's isn't working for me. I'm pretty sure the rotor is fine. I can't swing new rear rotor's this month, i need to order 2 more Yokohama's & then get all 4 mounted & balanced. Plus i need to get an alignment. So, i'll probably replace all my rotor's next time i need pad's again. Thank's again guy's for the help! :)

#12 ·
Note that your parking brakes are entirely separate from your rear discs and pads. They are very small drum brakes inside the rotors. Pull the rotors to inspect them. NAPA carries a kit to replace all internal parts except the shoes. Kit and shoes are pretty inexpensive. These are not "Emergency Barkes" and pretty weak at best as parking brakes. Mine didn't work for a year and I thought they were shot until I removed the rotors to find that the pads looked new. The main cable just needed adjusting. I believe the adjustment for this problem was behind the pedal.

#13 ·
Thats exactly what mine looks like Chris.......but it happened after we put the TT back in.

#14 ·
Word... I still haven't gotten a chance to take it apart. This coming weekend i'll get a chance hopefully. I have to change my oil too. Cool, so at least i know what it is now. I use my parking brake a lot, so it probably wore out. I'll be sure to take lot's of pic's when i tear into it.

It happened on the right rear axle. The one that Relentless RPM replaced. I bent the original axle shaft on that side & Relentless RPM had an extra axle out back. So, they traded me my bent one for the used one, when i was getting some other work done. They just swapped one for the other. So, the parking brake shoes on the one they installed must have worn out. Causing this to happen... :)

#15 ·
I use mine alot as well for hooking up the camper ....LOL.....i didnt realize it was messed up till i went to hook up the camper. Mine is the same as yours on the driver side. I just need to adjust mine as i cant move the cable. Hope yours isnt broke.

#16 ·
Hey, I saw this post, realized it was a little old, but what the heck.
This same thing happened to me, The cable popped off the clip on my left rear sometime within the last month and I found out when I was on a boatramp launching the malibu lol.
It's a pretty easy fix, just takes some time.

Had to pop off the wheel, and rotor, then reattach the cable to the clip.

I hope this is all that happened to yours.

Goodluck figuring it out :]

#18 ·
I still haven't messed w/ mine yet. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.