Nissan Titan Forum banner

my short belt mod :)

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  04titanss 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after pulling the serpentine belt and idler pulley, and taking 2hrs or so to try to pull off the fan pulley and the mount i realized that this was going to be much much tougher than anticipated..

Being that the a/c compressor mounts with 1 bolt to the bottom of the fan pulley mounting hardware i decided i had to cut the fan pulley mount so i could still maintain strength thru the fan mount ( for the pulley) i shaved it down so it would't rub by going from the top pulley down to the a/c pulley (which bypasses the fan pulley and idler) Believe me this fan definatly has a LOT OF restriction on the motor, the pulleys weigh in around 2lbs combined and you can try to spin it but the pulley for the fan won't even spin 1/2 turn without stopping from restriction, so thier is without a doubt a gain of 5hp just by bypassing that IMO.. This is why I probably didnt see any gains from removing the stock fans and going to the electric fans cause we havent bypassed the idler and the restrictive fan pulley.. I plan to get this re-dynoed in arlington when i return to see what gains i got from removing those 2 pulleys for everyday driving..

As for the track pulley I can't bypass the powersteering cause i'd have to have the teeth ( or grooved part) of the pulley facing the tensioner which would be bad, it is supposed to have the flat part of the belt against it, so bypassing the power steering can't be accomplished unless a idler is put in on the right side of the motor (which imo wouldnt be worth it) But i was able to bypass the a/c compressor, fan pulley, and the idler pulley on the left side of the motor, im hoping this shows some good gains for 4-5 hrs of frustration,lol

will letcha know how she does at the track if it stops raining this weekend :/

The street pulley goes from 8 to 5
The track pulley goes from 8 to 4

See less See more
#5 ·
The tensioner is not a grooved pulley...it is flat...hard steel Chris.

You won't hurt that thing one bit having the teeth up against it for a mile or two.......I dont' think there would be a problem having it that way perm!!!

Attachments

#7 ·
The way I do it there is no difference.....

Now the way you wanted it set up....not sure if you will get enough grab to work.

But look at the top pic on my attachment......I get plenty of grab.

#8 ·
Found a 7 rib belt that fits good.

Toomnymods said:
Well after pulling the serpentine belt and idler pulley, and taking 2hrs or so to try to pull off the fan pulley and the mount i realized that this was going to be much much tougher than anticipated..

Being that the a/c compressor mounts with 1 bolt to the bottom of the fan pulley mounting hardware i decided i had to cut the fan pulley mount so i could still maintain strength thru the fan mount ( for the pulley) i shaved it down so it would't rub by going from the top pulley down to the a/c pulley (which bypasses the fan pulley and idler) Believe me this fan definatly has a LOT OF restriction on the motor, the pulleys weigh in around 2lbs combined and you can try to spin it but the pulley for the fan won't even spin 1/2 turn without stopping from restriction, so thier is without a doubt a gain of 5hp just by bypassing that IMO.. This is why I probably didnt see any gains from removing the stock fans and going to the electric fans cause we havent bypassed the idler and the restrictive fan pulley.. I plan to get this re-dynoed in arlington when i return to see what gains i got from removing those 2 pulleys for everyday driving..

As for the track pulley I can't bypass the powersteering cause i'd have to have the teeth ( or grooved part) of the pulley facing the tensioner which would be bad, it is supposed to have the flat part of the belt against it, so bypassing the power steering can't be accomplished unless a idler is put in on the right side of the motor (which imo wouldnt be worth it) But i was able to bypass the a/c compressor, fan pulley, and the idler pulley on the left side of the motor, im hoping this shows some good gains for 4-5 hrs of frustration,lol

will letcha know how she does at the track if it stops raining this weekend :/

The street pulley goes from 8 to 5
The track pulley goes from 8 to 4

Thanks for the PM Toomnymods my son wanted to finish the mod after I went to work. He wants a Titan but can't afford one. LOL

The Gates/Napa Micro-V belt part number 070786 seven rib 79 1/8 inch belt is a great fit for Toomnymods short belt mod.

On the adjuster it is right at the middle mark and having all seven ribs on the pulleys is nice but I think Toomnymods is correct 6 or even 5 ribs would be OK with the reduction in power need from his mod.

Thanks Toomnymods for a great mod I have Chevy people asking about this mod and how they could do something like it. LOL

#11 ·
I think Chris wants a light weight dampened pulley just to make sure.

And since the cam trucks are pulling typing...there might be some vibration due to the WRP pulley. Somethign is causing it to pull timing...is it the TCU???? Or are the ping sensors hearing something?

Mine don't pull timing...but I'm not cammed. Maybe the timing on a camed truck puts the frequencies more in tune?

#12 · (Edited)
Toomnymods said:
do you like the results?? seems to accelerate ever so slightly faster from 0-40mph or so.. 60's didnt drop but im sure this mod doesnt hurt.. this truck has a lot of rotational mass to turn and that is robbing hp..
I did the short belt and pulleys at the same time. I store the Titan till the salt is off the roads so it will be about a month before I drive it. I'm sure its going to be a big difference we put pulleys on my son WRX and the Turbo really like the spin up.

KINGMADE said:
you still working on locating some crank pulleys?
No, I did the short belt and both pulleys at the same time I can't wait to get to the track.

Rossi said:
I think Chris wants a light weight dampened pulley just to make sure.

And since the cam trucks are pulling typing...there might be some vibration due to the WRP pulley. Somethign is causing it to pull timing...is it the TCU???? Or are the ping sensors hearing something?

Mine don't pull timing...but I'm not cammed. Maybe the timing on a camed truck puts the frequencies more in tune?
Maybe its not having 7 rib pulley and the belt slips just enough for the CPU to see and pull the timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.