Nissan Titan Forum banner

Trouble codes....

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  scr38 
#1 ·
So my wifes truck has two trouble codes. P1148 and P1276. I know the one is an o2 sensor, but what one? It says bank 1 sensor 1. and the other I am not sure what part that is. Any help is appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
1148 code is for the bank 1 (drivers side) closed loop control. 1276 is the AF sensor on bank 1. Both of these codes are caused by a bad AF sensor (or its wiring). The sensor is located in the drivers side exhaust manifold. (not the O2 sensor that is located in the B pipe.)

Attachments

#3 ·
Thank you for such a fast reply. I just replaced the o2 sensor on the drivers side, on the header. Where is the AF sensor on bank one? I was under the assumption the AF sensor is the same as the o2 and both codes would go away if I changed the o2 sensor.

#4 ·
Look at my previous post.

#6 ·
Oreilys has the 02 sensor under bosch name for $89. Had one go bad on me last Oct. Check your wiring for any burns from the headers.

#8 ·
Again, the O2 sensor IS NOT the AF sensor. The AF sensors are located in the manifolds or header, OEM or not. The O2 sensor is located in the B pipes. They are not the same, and have different functions.

#10 ·
Bank one sensor one is the exhaust manifold or header sensor. As to why there are two different codes I'm not sure.

#11 ·
I'll try to explain why there are two codes.
Also I will try to explain the differences between the A/F sensor and the O2 sensor. Both of these sensors measure oxygen levels in the exhaust system, but they measure the gasses at different locations and for different purposes. The A/F (air/fuel) sensor is located in the exhaust manifold ahead of the primary cat converter. The sensor must be located in front of the cat, because the cat reaction changes the composition of the exhaust gasses, and the A/F sensor would not get the correct reading. It's job is to send a signal back to the ECU. The ECU looks at this signal as well as many others, such as MAF, throttle position, engine load, transmission TCM, air and engine temps, cam position, etc. From all this data the ECM adjusts the pulse width if the injectors, which controls the fuel air mixture for the engine.
Look at the attachment for more details on this system, called the Closed Loop operation.
If the signal from the A/F sensor is bad, it affects the operation of the closed loop system, so you get code 1148. Several problems could give the 1148 code. In this case the A/F sensor is at fault, so you also get code 1276.

The O2 sensor is located behind the primary cat in the exhaust system. (in the B pipes) It's primary job is to check the efficiency of the cat. It normally does not help control the ECU's function in adjusting the A/F ratio. If you have a problem with the cats, or the O2 sensors, you will get a 420 or 430 code.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.