Nissan Titan Forum banner

VR3 Backup Camera experience

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bighitter 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to install a backup camera to assist with backing up to my boat trailer. I find myself getting in and out several times to make sure I don't get too close and hit my bumper.

I'd already read the negative reviews on the VR3 but decided to give it an honest try. I bought it at Wal-Mart so I figured I can take it back if it's not acceptable.

What's nice about this unit is that the video signal is wireless. You need only to connect power to the monitor and camera. I'd hoped after a successful test I could mount the monitor inside the larger of the two sunglass holders for a "stealth" install.

Mounting the camera to the license plate gives a good view of the area behind you but not the trailer ball which is important for my application of the camera. Using the supplied beveled washers still not did not quite work and looked awful too. So for testing I taped the camera to the plastic part of the bumper. That worked.

The instructions recommend wiring the camera power to your reverse lights so that the camera is only powered up when you're in reverse (the same option is available for the monitor too though I just used the cig. lighter adaptor for testing). I removed my drivers side tailight assembly by removing the two philips screws. You need to only lower the tailgate to get to these screws. The light assemble comes right out. I just wanted to identify which wires powered the backup lights. It's the red wire with the blue stripe. With that identified I put the tailight back together. I wasn't going to make connections there, just identifying the wire. Next I crawled under the truck to find the wiring harness that feeds the lights. Easy. There's also a plug for it that's clipped to the frame. I unplugged the plug and inserted my camera power wires into the female side of the plug in the appropriate connectors to power the camera. That way I could power the camera for my test without committing to splicing anything.

Ok so I head up to the cab, turn on the monitor and put the truck in reverse. After about 8-10 seconds the picture comes into view. The picture quality is actually pretty decent. The problem, like others have mentioned is noise. So I covered my connection with aluminum foil to sheild it. There was a slight improvemement but still not acceptable. I then shielded all sides of the monitor except the front. My thinking was I'd block all RF coming in from other directions. This improved the noise problem even more. I even went inside and unplugged the wireless router and turned off our cell phones.

Still before I committed to permanent connections I wanted to try backing up to the trailer. Upon doing so the noise got worse and the picture was complety lost about 50% of the time.

Unacceptable.

I think I gave this a pretty fair effort to make this thing work and even with the added shielding could not achieve satisfactory results. I can't recommend anyone buy this product. Maybe I have a "noisy" neighborhood. Maybe it would work better on a shorter vehicle. Maybe other versions of the camera work better. My experience just wasn't good at all.

See less See more
#5 ·
I failed to mention that I have the factory RF system and I like its clean looks. I also ordered the nissan XM option for it yesterday. I wouldn't really want to swap head units unless I was going to upgrade the whole sound system.

#6 ·
i386 said:
I'm now looking for other options that don't involve replacing my stock stereo and don't cost $1000.

I even considered adding a GPS that has aux video inputs for a camera, but those too are $900 and up.
Sometime ago, I saw a Polaroid GPS for about 250-350, and it had Video inputs for Backup camera, cheap way to go with a wired system. Had 5" or 7" screen, sold at WalMart. Sorry to see you confirmed reviews of the VR3; I've seen it sold for 299.00 at a 4x4 shop!

Try www.mymobilevision.com as my favorite site for this stuff, also consider www.mobilevideo4less.com as well. Camera and cable would be about 150-175, add it to a GPS like the unit above.

#7 ·
We need to find out if tech can get these or not but there is a product by DEI called the Hitch cam which does what I was planning on doing and fits in the hitch as a cover with a cam, it is hardwired and plugs into the factory hitch wiring harness for power and then you run a video feed to a small 4" monitor. The place I saw it at sold it for almost $800 installed but it wouldn't be hard to install.

Here is a link to a similar product.

http://www.hitchcam.com/products1.htm#hitchcam

#8 ·
Complete 1 Camera system with a 7" Monitor should be $500 or less, with very good quality. Shop around for awhile. Consider the safety of the camera location too. Nice site listed there though, nice ideas! :)

#9 ·
They are nice fit and finish, not for me though as I have a dvd/nav headunit but for the guys who want something better than the wireless setup.

#10 ·
Bighitter said:
We need to find out if tech can get these or not but there is a product by DEI called the Hitch cam which does what I was planning on doing and fits in the hitch as a cover with a cam, it is hardwired and plugs into the factory hitch wiring harness for power and then you run a video feed to a small 4" monitor. The place I saw it at sold it for almost $800 installed but it wouldn't be hard to install.

Here is a link to a similar product.

http://www.hitchcam.com/products1.htm#hitchcam
That sort of a nice idea except that it's useless lining up your hitch ball to the trailer toungue. It'd be ok for people who don't tow (if it locks).

#11 ·
It easily slips out, it just has a pin like any other attachment you slide into the hitch.

I just liked the look of it, I am going with something similar to what tech12volt posted with the kenwood backup camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.