Nissan Titan Forum banner

REVIEW: ActiveTuning.com's Custom Engine Grounding Kit!

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Altimat 
#1 ·
Final update for today... ActiveTuning.com's Custom Engine Grounding Kit!

There has been considerable talk of the benefits of an aftermarket grounding kit on the forums here. If I were to summarize my understanding of the theory it would go something like this:

<ul>
- Cars contain an awful lot of electrical devices.
- Most of the grounding for these systems comes from the negative battery ground cable.
- The grounding efficiency of most systems hovers around 95%.
- If you increase the amount of grounding you can achieve closer to 100% efficiency.
- The increased efficiency allows systems to run more optimally, increasing HP and MPG.
[/list]

Hopefully some rocket scientist will correct any fallacious assumptions here, but I bought into the story. I also figured that we're only talking $50 and an hour or so of work to experiment with this modification - so, not much to lose.

Before I get started, I average 13.4 MPG combined driving in my Titan 4X4. This is woefully unacceptable given that the window sticker claimed 14 to 17 MPG. I almost think we should bring a class-action suit against Nissan for this incredible lie. But that again, is another thread. :)

There have been folks on this discussion board who have claimed that a grounding kit netted them 1-2 MPG gains in fuel economy. If that were true for me, I'd recoup my $50 investment quite quickly and would be a very happy camper. So, I decided to give it a try.

I ordered my kit from ActiveTuning.com. It was $50 plus shipping... under $60 total. The kit arrived VERY fast. The overall quality of the cables were outstanding. All of the soldering, terminating, etc. was fantastic. These are nice looking cables... The kit also included every bolt, nut, washer and even tie downs needed to install the system.

Here are some photos of my install (The guys at ActiveTuning can feel free to use any if they help). Select any image to see a larger version (800x600):

<center></center>

<center></center>

<center></center>

Now, everyone says the installation is easy, and to some extent this is true. After all we are only talking about bolts and screws. But I found some of the connections to be a bit challenging. For example:

<ul>
- I had tremendous difficulty making a connection on the back of my alternator. Perhaps this is because I have a 4WD with the skid plates. All I know is that I had to turn the front wheel all the way, crawl up inside the wheel well, pull back some plastic and insert my arm into an area that I could not see. After feeling around for the mounting point I eventually got it and then managed to ratchet it down. But you'd better be seriously committed to completing this task or you're likely to call it quits.
- I couldn't decide exactly how to attach the additional negative battery ground wire based upon the install photos on ActiveTuning.com's web site. The install guide is fairly detailed, but I would say the one weakness is that there are some photos which are zoomed out, and some which are zoomed in but there needs to be both photos for each of the mounting points. As a result, I sometimes had difficulty locating a particular mounting point, and at other times I had difficulty determining if a mount should be above or below a piece of steel. (It may not matter, of course.)
- One of the cables includes a terminal which has a slightly larger hole on it than all of the others. The instructions listed this cable as being a certain length, but in my kit it was a different length. Fortunatly the two cables, which were probably inadvertently swapped in manufacturing, fit anyway.
[/list]

The only other issue which I am facing is that I received a kit that was for a 2WD Titan instead of 4WD. I don't remember the order process allowing me to select the drive train when I ordered it, although it now does. It is possible that they corrected a glitch after I ordered it... it is also possible that I somehow screwed it up. Anyway, one of the 4 cables is different for the 4WD and I've contacted them to request a solution to the problem. I'll update the group after I learn what the resolution will be.

With 3/4 of the grounding kit installed, I would really, really love to say that I notice a difference... but unfortunatly I don't. I've driven a few tanks with this kit installed, as well as a new K&N air filter, but my gas mileage remains absolutely unchanged. 13.4 MPG before and after. Now the engine "feels" a little better with these two mods in place, but I think it felt the same after only the K&N mod.

So unless something substantively changes after I install the last cable (transmission ground wire) I'm going to have to go with this summary:

If you are looking to dress up your engine compartment a bit, or if you are an Electrical Engineer who absolutely believes that additional grounding will benefit the system, by all means spend the $50. If you are looking for fuel savings or HP gains, I'm not able to provide any empirical data to support those claims.

Have fun,

John

See less See more
#2 ·
I have one too. My comments on the intructions were similar to yours. I needed just one more pic from a zoomed out position. I did fine on the alternator by laying on the ground, using a flashlight and getting it from the bottom. I too have the OR package and was able to leave the skid plate on.

As far as improvement is concerned: Gas mileage is better but I installed a TB spacer at the same time. I doubt the grounding kit contributed much if anything. Subjectively (no science used), I think it idles a touch smoother and lights quicker. I noticed an appreciable difference in the amount of time the key needs to be held in 'start' position.

I think the quality of the kit, terminals, cable etc. is terrific and quite a bargain.

#3 ·
Im getting between 12.5 and 14.8 all city depending on my mood and what im hauling. And im ok with that. I knew what i was getting into when i bought the truck.Actually im quite pleased with my mpg as my V-6 F-150 didnt do any better. As for the truck grounding deal ive heard of that but well, i took my $50 bill and bought an air dam and got change back.

#4 ·
Hey johnpoz:

Sounds like you are definitely going in the right direction. I, on the other hand, was getting a meagre 14 mpg (at best) before any of my modifications. The ones that really hit home were the Airaid TBS and
the Borla duals. This weekend I installed an Extang Tuff Tonneau III
cover for the bed and it is supposed to help by 1 mpg. I already am averaging 15.77 mpg and sometimes 16+ if I don't put my foot in it.
Have you considered an exhaust system? Maybe your truck needs to exhale. :)

#5 ·
Mick said:
Hey johnpoz:

Sounds like you are definitely going in the right direction. I, on the other hand, was getting a meagre 14 mpg (at best) before any of my modifications. The ones that really hit home were the Airaid TBS and
the Borla duals. ...snip...
Have you considered an exhaust system? Maybe your truck needs to exhale. :)
Well, I have already purchased a TBS, but haven't yet installed it. That is my next little project... I don't think it will be too hard, but am worried about what to do when I encounter that seal with the wires that everyone is talking about cutting the wires out of. Anyway, I'll deal with that when I get to it. I am certainly hoping that will give me a little better mileage.

Sidebar, I don't think I really have THAT much of a leadfoot. I mean, I'm normally at the front of the pack, but I'm not dropping the hammer on the throttle all the time. Heck, I manage to get over 15 mpg on our 4WD Sequoia which is heavier and has less power. I just think some of us got luckier with the mileage than others, and I haven't seen any explanation for it. 50% of my miles are on the highway.

Anyway, I've remotely considered an exhaust system, but I'm not really willing to accept any more noise in the cabin than I already have. I'm more of a luxury car kind of guy, so I like a quiet cabin.

If the TBS will help push me up to about 15MPG I'll stop whining. If it doesn't do it for me, I'll probably never cease my whining. ;-)

John

#6 ·
If you are talking behind the throttle body-- the infamous screen is only a gasket with a half-moon screen built into it. You simply and carefully remove it, take your finest snips and trim a complete and unobstructed circle (like a regular O-ring is supposed to look like). Then you carefully reinstall it or you could go the route of buying an aftermarket O-ring like some of the other Titan members did. The installation seems to be worth it.

#7 ·
johnpoz said:
Well, I have already purchased a TBS, but haven't yet installed it. That is my next little project... I don't think it will be too hard, but am worried about what to do when I encounter that seal with the wires that everyone is talking about cutting the wires out of. Anyway, I'll deal with that when I get to it. I am certainly hoping that will give me a little better mileage.

Anyway, I've remotely considered an exhaust system, but I'm not really willing to accept any more noise in the cabin than I already have. I'm more of a luxury car kind of guy, so I like a quiet cabin.
John
As Mick said, the screen thing is easy.
Which TBS did you buy?
I agree with you on the aftermarket exhaust issue for the same reason. I am considering a chrome tip though, heard they were good for 30hp and 3mpg :bling: . Seriously though, it seems the Y pipe on the Titan leaves alot to be desired, I will probably end up replacing it. Many on the forum have and report good results but to my recollection those replacement Y pipes users all use aftermarket mufflers. I might end up being the test pilot for the combo of good Y pipe and stock muffler.

#8 ·
I didn't use the active tuning kit, but I built my own which is basically the exact same thing that they sell.
I do notice slightly easier starting and smoother idle. My 4 tank average before installing the grounds was 14.678 mpg, and after the kit my 4 tank average was 15.270. The overall average for the life of my truck at about 16000 miles is 13.54. I've been noticing slightly better mileage before I installed the kit, and the mileage after the kit may just be a difference in my driving or weather or my right foot could have lost some weight.

There is no possible way that doing this mod can hurt the performance or mileage of your truck, I think it's worth it just for the smoother idle.

#9 ·
It was $50 plus shipping... under $60 total.

Thanks for the review John! The kit is $50 shipped to US though.

We did add the 4WD option and change very shortly after the original release so you may have ordered the only version available at that time. The only change, however, was that we shortened the trans cable some so the 2WD kit should still work. If you would like the shorter cable amil and we'll send it out N/C.

If anyone else is interested in the kit we have a group buy going through 8/21.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.