Nissan Titan Forum banner

popping noise?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cjoh101 
#1 ·
i've already seen SEVERAL threads about this issue, just no real answers...
at very low speeds (either at a stop or when backing out or pulling into my driveway) when i cut the wheel i hear a loud popping coming from the front. also when i first start the truck, if i havent driven it yet that day, there's sort of a creaking from the front too (though this isn't as big of a worry to me as the popping)

also, the other night i took the truck into a little mud. i drove a few feet into the mud, decided to shift into 4lo, and when i did i heard a loud beep as i put it into 4wd (it has never done this before) and when it beeped, the little icon on the gauge cluster which has a picture of a truck suspension (the one that highlights either 2 or 4 wheels to show whether you're in 2wd or 4wd) disappeared. i pulled out of the mud onto level ground. When i tried shifting back into 2wd, it beeped continuously until i shut off the truck. i waited a few minutes and restarted the truck, and the beeping had stopped and the truck went perfectly back into 2wd.
does anyone have ANY idea what the hell happened? did this happen because i wasn't on level ground when i shifted into 4wd?

thank you VERY much to whoever responds. pretty worried about both of these issues

dylan

See less See more
#2 ·
No, you don't have to be on level ground to shift the transfer case. Check your brake fluid reservoir. It's possible that it is low. Low brake fluid has been known to cause 4x4 issues or warning lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.