Nissan Titan Forum banner

brakes slipping??

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  08TitanGirl 
#1 ·
this has happened a few times, when applying brakes they grind real bad so when I pull over and shut truck off, when I restart problem goes away? happens towing or not towing. Help, seems a little dangerous.

#2 ·
What year? What's your mileage? How long ago have you had the brakes done?

#4 ·
First of all, congrats on having over 200K. Yeah it is probably time for some pads and likely rotors as well judging by the grinding noise. I just did my rears for the same reason. Only grinded occasionally. Took it apart and the pad material was gone. The plate was grinding into the rotor...oops! New pads and rotors and all is good again.

I would recommmend checking out Brake Motive on Ebay. Awesome deals on drilled/slotted rotors with performance pads. It is what I am currently running. IIRC you can get fronts and rears for about $180.

#11 ·
I have the Brake Motive brakes on my 08 Titan. Drilled and slotted front and rear rotors, pads, and hardware were $270 shipped, I believe. I have had problems with the brakes ever since I bought the truck. The fronts always get this crazy rust buildup on the insides of the rotors (with OEM replacement parts), the caliper slide pins on the passenger side always freeze up, and both of my parking brakes in the rear have exploded. So, I don't have parking brake now. The Brake Motive brakes seem much touchier than the OEM and I was able to do a full brake job all around for less than what I was paying for OEM fronts alone. I really like them and plan on putting them on my VW as well. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
i understand the possible need for pads and rotors, but the fact i turn engine off and on again and problem goes away has me confused. also its kind of like something happening with ABS system. ive had the noise of bad pads and rotors before and this isnt quite like that. sort of a pulsating type deal? i can pull to side of road shut motor off and restart, problem gone, thanks for the help in this weird problem.

#6 ·
That sounds more like your ABS kicking in. Was the road surface wet and/or slippery at all? Maybe a faulty wheel speed sensor??? Got me thinkin....

#8 ·
#10 ·
Brake fluid replacement may help. Brake fluid should be completely flushed and replaced every time you do a brake job. Many auto manufacturers recommend replacing brake fluid every 2-3 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.