Nissan Titan Forum banner

2005 Titan, 2nd Diff going out? Advice on Eaton TruTrac?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  justdifferentials 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 Crew Cab with big tow, and offroad packages. I bought it brand new.

At 36K, was driving down the road and "BANG" rpms went up. Thought I knocked it into neutral but I didn't. Hit gas again and all was ok. Further down the road and turned into store, and "BANG", rear diff went completely out. Had vehicle towed to dealer and they replaced the rear differential assembly. This was in 2007-2008 I believe.

Fast forward. I have about 98K on my Titan now. Change the diff fluids every 15K miles. Hopped in Truck and started backing up, "BANG", stopped. Continued and all seems ok. Drove around all day and everything was good. On way home made a right turn and "BANG" from the rear diff again. Drove to parking lot and did circles in both directions for 45 minutes and NOTHING, all was ok.

I assume my diff is going out again?????

So I am at the point now to get the Eaton TruTrac installed but I have some concerns.

I read that since I have the Nissan E-Locker rear, that one axle is longer then the other and won't work with Eaton TruTrac? IS this true?

What do you do about the wires and sensor for the Nissan E-Locker?

Is it best to go with the Eaton TruTrac or does anyone know for sure if the Nissan Replacement Diff Assembly replacements are made a lot better now?

Any advice on the install, etc, would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
The replacement diffs are just as garbage as the first. Like you, ive gone through two factory rear ends. The first went at 40k and the second wend at 75k. Like you, i heard sounds without consistency. All and all, the ring and pinion broke and then everything else crapped out. I ended up putting in a true posi. I forget the brand they put in and I cant find the stupid paperwork.

Bottom line, IMO they put weak as hell rear ends in a bit tow package truck. I never did any big towing on this last rear end. Only a jet ski trailer. Also, never beat run the truck.

#4 ·
Italyguy01, where in Pa are you located? There is a great trans/diff mechanic in East Bangor -- I've used him twice on other vehicles. Send me a PM and I will get you his name and number. One of our sponsors sells a new beefed-up e-locker rear. nmbronewinner, good to be hearing from you again -- still in the USAF? Question -- either of you guys use the e-locker? Maybe use of the e-locker causes the diffs to go bad.

#5 ·
When they repaired the rear end originally, did they put another 2 pinion locker in (used until 07) or did they put the 4 pinion unit in?

We offer the 4 pinion unit if you are interested in rebuilding your rear axle with an E locker again. The 4 pinion unit is much stronger then the 2 pinion unit. If you have other questions that are unanswered, give us a call and we can discuss all options with you.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ELM226-32-p/elm226-32.htm

In your model of Titan, the rear axle shouldn't need any mods to install a Truetrac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.