Nissan Titan Forum banner

when to use tow mode

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  A_J 
#1 ·
I have a 2wd king cab se and I tow a 24' boat very frequently. My question is, when do I use the tow mode. Most of the towing is interstate and tow mode keeps me in a lower gear=higher rpm's=worse gas mileage. So when is it neccessary to use tow mode?

#2 ·
I would say if your on the interstate mostly you wouldent need to use it. I think it was designed for "hilly" roads . the lower gear \ higher rpm inbetween shifts would make the pulling alot easier.

#4 ·
LOL, nooooooo. Nah really I am checking it out right now. Thanks

#5 ·
Tow Mode just moves your shift points higher, so you're further up on the torque and HP curve. In practical terms, the only times I'd use it are when the Titan is lugging or straining - mostly with near-limit loads on hilly terrain.

'Just my experience.

#6 ·
Well then logical thinking would lead me to believe that if I were drag racing I should turn on tow mode to intentionally move my shift points to a higher rpm.

#7 ·
RE: "Well then logical thinking would lead me to believe that if I were drag racing I should turn on tow mode to intentionally move my shift points to a higher rpm."
===================

Yeah, well - I had that question too and asked it of the draggers here. They said that when your foot is on the floor, it'll move the shift point higher anyway - so switching the Tow Mode on won't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.