Nissan Titan Forum banner

Questions about Tow Mode

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gsxrraycer 
#1 ·
Ok, as some of you know I (being a relative newbie) purchased a use Titan 4x4. It doesn't have the big tow package. It also came without a manual, and shortly after I got it someone actually reached into the bed of my truck and stole 3 of my 4 tiedown cleats (what happened to the bed of a mans pick up is sacred ground and any infractions therein are punishable by a good *** whuppin)

Anyway since I don't have the manual, i don't know how to work some of the features or don't know what certain features are for.

Mainly..... what the hell does the tow mode button do? I mean there's a button there and i don't have the big tow package.... so what's gonna happen when i push it? I've been tempted for months, and haven't done it yet. But the temptation is getting too strong to resist.... does it change some shift patterns? does it change an ECU program so that it pulls better?
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME...inquiring minds want to know...before i go push the damn thing and do something I shouldn't have.

Also does anyone know where I can get an 04 owners manual cheap? I'm sure there are other things that I should know about that I don't...like any special features of the neato cool Rockford Fosgate 6 CD in dash sound system.

The Mossy Nissan dealer doesn't have them... Mossy's comment was.....well its was used, we can't be responsible for the previous owner not putting it in the truck when they traded it in......oh no we don't have an 04 manual.....why would we have one of those.... it comes with the vehicle....

less than brilliant minds obviously

thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
I read a lot about that little button before pulling a trailer long distance on the highway for the first time. Its only to be used when towing heavy loads, 75% of GVWR I believe. Nissan says it makes the truck drive like it isn't towing, they make it seem like more of a comfort feature. Careful with it, it can lower your milage more if used when not needed. I would only use it if you feel your truck is shifting too much.

#5 ·
The Tow Mode button is used for loads that are > 70-75% of load rating for the truck. Sorry about the stolen cleats - I've got to get my tonneau ASAP.

#6 · (Edited)
thanks much to you both. So.. it changes the shift points....er.... does it give it any more punch off the line by changing the shift points? Does it pay to have it in tow mode when trying to run a hemi or so?

And those cleats are flippin expensive....geez like almost 40 bucks a piece. No wonder they stole mine.

Off to download the manual now

ttugrad95 said:
I read a lot about that little button before pulling a trailer long distance on the highway for the first time. Its only to be used when towing heavy loads, 75% of GVWR I believe. Nissan says it makes the truck drive like it isn't towing, they make it seem like more of a comfort feature. Careful with it, it can lower your milage more if used when not needed. I would only use it if you feel your truck is shifting too much.

ok, then maybe I won't be driving with it in tow mode. good thing i asked.

ok...so how come sometimes my sig files shows up and other times it doesn't?

#7 ·
It changes the shift points but the final result is that it causes your truck to hold gears longer, so your not constantly jumping from say 3rd to 4th when towing a heavy load.

It doesn't work for racing, since it has no effect at full throttle.

When you reply there is a little check box at the bottom that says "show your signature". Make sure its checked if you want it to show.

#8 ·
it is checked..... its just showing up at random for some reason.

it shows when i start a new thread, and it seems to show the first time i reply in a thread

and thereafter its a random event

its me

computers hate me

#9 ·
Signature only shows once per page.

Per the moderator on another thread, the forums are set up to only show your signature once per page to save display space. So in a back-and-forth conversation, you're only going to see your signature on the first post until the thread wraps over to the next page.

Re your missing cleats: Bummer! Someone out there needs a beating. I am very fond of my Undercover hard tonneau for that very reason. It's light and easy to take on and off when you need to, but when it's on it keeps your stuff your stuff.

Regards,
AZ

#10 ·
Thanks for the info regarding the sig file.

And the reason i don't have a Tonneau cover is cause i use the bed for hauling bikes and riding gear and stuff. Transporting tires from the bike shop where i get my stuff to my home work area etc. When i'm getting ready to go ride, having to take it off would be just one more thing to do.

and i know me. After putting it on and taking it off a few times. it would stay off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.