Nissan Titan Forum banner

Body Lift Install???

19K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ChooChoo 
#1 ·
Okay, Now I have been reading on here and TT for a long time about body lift and how it take 20+ hours for install and how expensive it is. I have read countless threads on this and I have come up with many different hours!

It seems like everyone that says it take 20+ man hours to install are the people who DO NOT have a body lift on their truck nor have they helped install one on someone else Titan. Im not saying this as a bad thing so done take it to heart, just fact from what I have read. Now I have read quite a few people on here say it took anywhere from 6-9 hours or work or the shop that installed it took 6-9 hours.

So for all the people who have body lift, What was the install time if you did it yourself? Or what was the install of the shop that did it for you? and how much did they charge just for install?

I could possible get a few friends to help me out who have done body lifts on their own trucks(chevys though, I know it easier on those trucks) and I have a decent amount of mechanical ability. If I had a shop do it, I know I could do the gap gaurds myself to save some money and i want to dump the exhaust at the axle anyways, so that problem is fixed. Also I dont have a hitch so now need to fix that!

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay 76 views and not ONE reply! I know there are people on here that have installed their own body lift or had it installed by someone!

#3 ·
Dude, I don't know of ANY one with a body lift. I know there's a few of these 14K members with it, but I don't know who. They usually do it with the 6" or 7" lift and it's HUGE! Are you wanting to put 37's on it or something? Sorry I'm no help, but I just thought I would reply since no one else did.

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Not many have done it because, like you already stated in your original post, it is a royal PITA, takes an experienced installer 20+ hours, and the general consensus/opinions of most members here has been that they are LAME.

FWIW, I've not seen one thread where it has taken someone between 6-9 hours to install a body lift, and I've read a ton of threads on here. 6-9 hours is a reasonable number for installing any of the bracket lift kits though (i.e., Pro-Comp, Fabtech, Rancho, CST, etc.) Perhaps you mixed 'em up.

Also, in comparo to body lift's for full size trucks, the Titan BL is a tad bit more expensive, although not outrageous IMO.

If you insist on doing this, please get the gap guards.

Personally, I think you'd be better off doing this:

FRONT:
Existing ProComp lift kit = 6"
NEW SAW Coilovers cranked = 1"+
NEW spacer for ontop of SAW's = 1"
NEW PRG UCA to avoid coil bucket contact= 0"
Stock tires compared to NEW 35" tires = 1.5"

FRONT: 9.5" Overall Total Lift, give or take

REAR:
Existing Pro Comp Lift = 3"
Remove Pro Comp Blocks on back = -3"
NEW PRG C-30 Deaver Spring Pack = 3.5"
NEW PRG 1.5" Blocks = 1.5"
Stock tires compared to NEW 35" tires = 1.5"
NEW PRG Shackles = 0"

REAR = 7.5" Overall Total Lift , give or take 1/64" haha

#6 ·
Yeah I installed mine......$300 bucks and 10hrs later I was picking it up.

#7 ·
I did my BL myself and it took right at something like 20 hours all said and done. I took my time doing it to make sure everything was done correctly and I'm kinda on the anal side when I do stuff to my truck. The longest part by far was fitting and refitting the front bumper to get it back to the perfect position.

Being that I've done it once now, I would say I could shave maybe 3-5 hours off the project if I had to do it again. I don't know if a 6-9 hour install is possible. I guess maybe, but having been through it I'd commit an entire Sat & Sun.

Lemme know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer best I can.

- Mike

Attachments

#8 ·
I haven't seen that picture Mike. It looks really good!

#9 ·
Got a side shot Skeeter?

#10 ·
I did a BL on a Tundra and it's typical Japanese car manufacturing; everything is put together so well and tight and hidden it made it difficult. I'm assuming thats how it is for the Titan.

#11 ·
Yes (have side shot), but I'll take a couple more and post. I think you're looking for what the gaps ended up looking like and how much frame shows. I don't have pics targeting those but I'll take some and post.

#12 ·
TheSkeeter said:
Yes (have side shot), but I'll take a couple more and post. I think you're looking for what the gaps ended up looking like and how much frame shows. I don't have pics targeting those but I'll take some and post.

Thank You, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Are you a semi-pro wrestler or something? I assume that is you in your avatar?

#13 ·
Yep, that's me. The wife & I dress up for Halloween each year when we give out candy to the kids stopping by. We like to have some fun with them. That was from Halloween 2007.

#14 ·
TheSkeeter said:
I did my BL myself and it took right at something like 20 hours all said and done. I took my time doing it to make sure everything was done correctly and I'm kinda on the anal side when I do stuff to my truck. The longest part by far was fitting and refitting the front bumper to get it back to the perfect position.

Being that I've done it once now, I would say I could shave maybe 3-5 hours off the project if I had to do it again. I don't know if a 6-9 hour install is possible. I guess maybe, but having been through it I'd commit an entire Sat & Sun.

Lemme know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer best I can.

- Mike
\
do you have a rear shot of the "TOO LOW" exhaust hanging out..i mean i'll prolly never have a hitch so that won't matter but if the exhuast looks qweer i'd pass......
i have the 4" blocks w/coilovers/spindles...and i'd like 2 to 3 more inches but i only have like 1-1/2 inches left in the coilovers.....

thanks

#15 ·
i been think about doin this to.
hey skeeter is that truck with just a body lift, or what else is done and what size tires. thanks

#16 ·
i would imagine the titan would be pretty close to the same setup as the frontier as far as BL , you can always do a custom 2" BL , i went this route took about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to install just the BL I made custom bumpers so wouldnt be able to give a good time frame on total install but i would imagine would have only take another 1-2 hours

#17 ·
TheSkeeter said:
Yep, that's me. The wife & I dress up for Halloween each year when we give out candy to the kids stopping by. We like to have some fun with them. That was from Halloween 2007.
Dude, you'd scare the crap outta ME!!!

#18 ·
ok, sorry for the delay. It rained yesterday and it's still raining today. Some of the pics have droplets of water on them, but they should still give you a good idea.

I installed the PRG minilift kit along with the 3" body lift myself in Aug 2007. So far, no problems at all with anything. Tires are 315/70R17 Yokahama Geolander AT-S's on Helo Max 6 wheels. I made the skirts in the rear to cover up the gap b/w the body and the frame by getting some 12 gauge steel sheets from Lowe's, cutting, and sprayed them flat black. I did have to trim the inside of the mud flpas in the front to keep the tires from rubbing when you turn all the way to one side or the other. I guess I could have taken them off, but I try to keep stuff slung by the tires on the body to a minimum. One thing, and I think it's the only thing, about Nissan I don't like is it seems the paint scratches really easily.

I've lost about .5 mpg when I changed the tire size. I was hoping by going with the body lift to gain clearance vs. an equivalent suspension lift I wouldn't change driveline angles and everything would be pretty much stock except the added weight and resistance from the Yokos.

Attachments

#20 ·
Looks good Skeet!

#22 ·
I got a quote from a shop around my area and it was $850 for the parts and labor with half of the kit price down for them to order it. He said it would come in next day from ordering it and then I could drop it off and pick it up the next day. I feel like this is a fair price plus the shop less than 1 mile from my house and is a Truck shop. As soon as these 33"s wear down, Im going to add a BL. It will be a little bit, but Im excited.

#23 ·
Hey Trevor... I saw you're from Denton? I'll be in Plano the week of Aug 18 for work. Small world!

Do you know who makes the kit they're talking about ordering for you?

#24 ·
Yea, I live in Denton during the school year and I visit Southlake/Keller some weekends(my parents and g/f parents live there).

I emailed him back and he said it was a PA body lift that he would be ordering, but that doesnt include the gap guards. I think I would just order the gap guards myself and install them myself, but that depends on what the shop says about installing them, I have heard some shops wont charge extra to install them since its almost no work.

#25 ·
when my 35" tires ware out I'm adding the body lift. I think I'll pay to have this one installed. this will give me around 12".
what are gap guards?

#26 ·
They hide the space between the frame and the bottom of the bed.In the front it hides the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.