Nissan Titan Forum banner

New member seeking advice ASAP

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  badleveragetst 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been in the market for a CC truck for a few months and have finally sold off my car and targeted the Titan. I've got a budget of about $10k I'd like to be under after TTT, keeping miles at or below 150k, and trying to get the most creature comforts I can.

I found a local 2006 CC 150k miles fully loaded (navi, leather, DVD rear, aftermarket rims). Cosmetically it's in pretty good condition, no major issues other than some paint scratches, leather seats a little worn, etc.

Some of the other issues I've already researched (tighten radiator cap, fix backup sensor, flashing airbag light) but there is one thing that I am not quite comfortable with yet. This was the first Titan I had driven and I felt like it had a heavy gas pedal requiring a good amount of foot pressure. The truck still seemed to speed up ok as it got going but it gave me pause to think about. Researching it and people actually complain the pedal is TOO LIGHT and say that the truck is quite torquey

So today I went and test drove another Titan to compare. It has a Borla exhaust but it felt completely different. The pedal was feather light and it was very torquey- I actually got it side ways in town by accident.

Can someone tell me- is this something that can be fixed with a ECU reset/throttle reset like I've read about? Is this super alarming? What does this mean? Is this too many red-flags? Guy was willing to come down about 15% off his asking price.

Let me know some thoughts- should I run away? Grab up a deal and spend the savings to fix it up even more?

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty hard to diagnose long distance. I recommend you take the truck to a good independent shop and have them do a pre-purchase inspection since you are serious about it. Should cost roughly $100, maybe a bit more - ask before the shop starts the work. The current owner shouldn't object, if there is nothing to hide. Good luck!

#3 ·
I've been doing lots of reading on this thing- looks like it could also be caused by the IPDM issue under recall which has not be performed according to the Safety website (fuel gauge recall not done either). I think I'll try and borrow the truck from the guy, take it to Advanced Auto to scan for codes, and attempt the fog light/ECM relay swap to see if it helps. I'll see if I can get the local Nissan to do a pre-inspection check without breaking the bank.

#4 ·
Good luck!

#5 ·
Thinking about your pre-purchase inspection, I don't think I would use the dealer, unless you already have a great relationship with their service department. They could tend to "pile-on" looking for business. What area are you in? Can probably find you some good independent shops through the network of independents recommended by BMW CCA. Yeah, I know we are talking about a Nissan here, but go to https://www.bimrs.org/, and search for a shop near your location. Some shops may be German cars only, but most cover all makes. The nice thing about the guys in that network is they share factory info, and have access to factory diagnostic info.

Again, best of luck, and let us know how you make out!

#6 ·
I used that site but unfortunately nothing looks to be too close. The guy is dragging his feet on buying a new car and I'm getting impatient so I'm looking around. I've located an 06 with 80k on the clock in pretty good shape for a good deal (does have an accident on the Carfax) that I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on. I don't plan on selling this to a dealership in the future so I'm not too worried about that I guess. I'll make sure it gets looked over real well. Looks really clean in the pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.