Nissan Titan Forum banner

new trailer question

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shogunles 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i recently purchased a 7 x 16 tandem axle trailer. My titan is a 2011 SL without big tow, but does have a factory hitch on it. Would I be fine pulling this trailer(2450 lbs empty) or do i need to have sway controls or electric brakes to be ok? I will have two motorcycles in trailer( one cruiser at about 900 lbs and one sport bike at about 500 lbs).

#2 ·
You will be OK pulling that trailer, but you should have brakes on it. Many states require brakes on a trailer with that load capacity.

#4 ·
If you plan on pulling this interstate you need to comply with the trailer/brake laws in which you travel through, not just the state in which you reside. NY has the lowest at 1,000 lb. unladen and 3,000 laden. So installing brakes is a good idea, a lot safer, give you more life on your truck's brakes and cannot hurt. Except in the pocket. Being a NY Resident, hopefully for not too much longer, if you get stopped and not in compliance with any tow/haul regulations the fines are steep and you are not going anywhere until you off load your load or fix the issue. Not worth the trouble for a couple of hundred to upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
I think the trailer has electric brakes and the OP is asking if he should install a brake controller in the truck.

I would absolutely put one in, for the small price you're buying a lot if safety and saving the truck brakes. Plus there will come a day you want to haul something heavy, and you'll be ready.

#7 ·
Definitely install a brake controller. For the added safety it is dirt cheap.

#8 · (Edited)
Without a brake controller there is nothing to activate the brakes unless the trailer has surge brakes. Unless you have a boat and can't have electric brakes, you really don't want to put up with surge brakes. You hit the brake on the truck, the trailer slams up against the truck then the brakes activate and pull against the truck, bam, bam!

There have been a lot of advances in brake controllers, Tekonsha makes the best. You should be able to get a new high tech controller for less than $150. An inexpensive sway controller is also a good investment in safety. Also, keep in mind that trailer tires are Q rated, only speed rated at maximum inflation to 65 mph!

I just saw an article in Road & Track about towing a steel trailer with an old Cadillac with a car (BMW M3) on the trailer and the trailer has no fenders. I had a tire blow on me last year after hitting some debris. The steel cord of the trailer tire came off and damaged the fender but the fender saved the car from damage. Usually Road & Track is a lot more thoughtful. Good luck. Be safe. Towing isn't always as easy as it looks.

#9 ·
I would only hope that Nissan installs factory brake controllers with the tow package in the new generation Titans, like the "Big Three" have done. Aside from having to buy an aftermarket one, it would eliminate individuals that are currently towing trailers that clearly need controllers and tow without them. For $150 it is a relatively cheap safety feature as another member has said.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.