Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tow Mode Not Working?

18K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bipedrope 
#1 ·
Hey guys I finaily got a Titan I just have a few questions about the towmode and brake controller. First question is The Titan I bought did not come with the tow package as it was used and was the best condition at the time but I need a brake controller for the trailer I use time to time does this truck come with brake controller harness like others or do I need to run the entire thing? Second I've noticed alot of people here are towing in manual mode or 4th gear when I use the towmode I notice nothing changes my gears do not hold any longer and my trucks always trying to shift into OD I've driven on flat ground up hills loaded unloaded I even took the truck to the dealer they said all is well. When I owned my Chevy it held the gears loaded or not and did not shift to OD until it reached 60MPH so am I crazy or is this just how this truck is. ANY REPLY WOULD HELP GREATLY AS I'M HEADING BACK TO THE DEALER TO HAVE THEM SHOW ME THE DIFFERENCE

THANKS GUYS

#2 ·
What's the year model? Mine didn't come with the Tow Package either, but it was just a matter or ordering a cable with my brake controller. The cable plugs in behind the panel under the steering wheel. It even says "Trailer Brake Harness" on the cable.

Here is a link to the cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3050-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B001NZMBVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1352269228&sr=1-1&keywords=Tekonsha+3050-P

(Note: Amazon says it doesn't fit 2012's, but it does.)

Here's the Brake Controller:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1352269269&sr=1-1&keywords=Tekonsha+90195+P3

As for Tow Mode, mine stays in a lower gear a little longer when it is turned on.

#6 ·
Let me know if you have any problems. I can always take a picture if you need. I mounted mine under the dash below the steering wheel. It's out of the way, but you can always look down and see it if you need too.

#7 ·
My understanding of Tow Mode is that it only holds the RPM's on the lower gears. It does not prevent you from going into overdrive. The general recommendation when towing is to manually keep the transmission in D (4th) not OD (5th).

If you don't have the tow package then you may also need a set of three relays to make the 7 pin outlet on the back fully active.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Yes, if the dealer put in the OEM hitch then it came with the relays.

#10 ·
I know what your talking about. I had a GMC that you could definitly tell when the tow/haul mode was on. On my Titan I can tell no difference when tow mode is on. I tow in 4th gear with tow mode on and get great performace towing 7,000 lbs.

#11 ·
I'll check for the relays but all lights work on my trailer just waiting for the brake controller to see if everything thing works right.

Yeah I guess the tow mode on these trucks are in my opinion just a poor design but the truck does pull my enclosed trailer with ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.