Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tampa 2 Deg. timing?

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  GalaxyTitan22 
#1 ·
Any forum members get a timing advance in Tampa Bay area? Can't find a dealer that will do it.

#2 ·
dont be bummed man, I cant find a dealer in all of Louisiana that will do it.

#3 ·
dickey south said:
Any forum members get a timing advance in Tampa Bay area? Can't find a dealer that will do it.
Take the short drive (1 1/2 hours) to Lake Nissan in Leesburg, they did mine!

#6 ·
dickey south said:
Thanks, actually heading that way next weekend
Make sure you call ahead. It doesn't take very long but they can be SLOW with minor stuff! Good luck.

#9 ·
so leesburg is the closest dealer that will do it in Tampa? :( I am going to research this more locally and will report back

#12 ·
What does this do exactly?

Have been meaning to ask.

And how much does it cost?

#13 ·
cost depends on the dealership. Some have been lucky enough to get it for free, but most spend between $37.50 and $95.00. It advances the timing to get you a better off the line throttle response. Gains are significant on your 0-60 times. Many report a little better fuel economy too.

#14 · (Edited)
Any bad side effects? I mean, if you get better gas mileage and performance, then why wouldn't they do it stock?

And if I want this done, I just ask them to do a 2 degree timing advance?

That simple?

#15 ·
I have seen a mileage improvement in city driving. Slight improvement but improvement all the same.

My service dealer in Sudbury had no idea why I would want to advance the timing. That being said they did it for free while I was having the A/C and suspension squeak TSBs done.

#16 ·
Rat Boy said:
Any bad side effects? I mean, if you get better gas mileage and performance, then why wouldn't they do it stock?

And if I want this done, I just ask them to do a 2 degree timing advance?

That simple?
The same reason why no one ever makes their vehicles to their complete potential. Even vette's, vipers and mustangs can be improved upon once you buy them.

There are no negative effects to a 2* advance. Now 5 to 7 degrees throughout the entire rpm range may be different.

#17 ·
The dealerships here in Tucson, AZ act like everyone on this site doesn't know what the heck they are talking about, that you guys make this stuff up and have no idea what you are doing to your trucks. My service advisor even owns a Titan and he still acts that way. It makes me wonder just how much they know about the vehicles they service and if its not in Nissan's service manual then it must not exist. One dealership said it was impossible to adjust the timing, another said it was possible throught the consult but that it would mess up the timing and the ecu would adjust it back to stock right away. Haven't been to Phoenix yet as I know someone has said it could be done at the Scottsdale Nissan. Before I go up to Scottsdale, when you do the timing advance, does it stick, is it semi-permanent or have you found that after time it goes back to stock?

#18 ·
It is permanent. The only way that it goes away is if you have the battery disconnected for a long time. It iwll not mess up the timing and the ECM will not adjust it back. The only way that it will go back is if you try to adjust it more than 2 degrees.

But this shows how little they know about the consult and this vehicle's ECM. First of all, you can put anything into the Consult that you want to as far as the parameters are concerned. As long as you can bring it up on the screen you can program it to the truck. BUT, if the truck thinks that what you just did is unsafe, it just will not accept it. Example, up the timing from 15* to 20*...you can do it, but the truck will not accept it, it will immediately go back to 15. Now then take it from 15* to 17* and it will accept it.

I have had my timing for almost 30,000 miles and the only times it went away were during the header install in which the battery was unplugged for 6 hours and when I sent my ECM to technosquare. It was out of the truck for over 48 hours. Other than that, it has stayed right where I put it.

#19 · (Edited)
I cannot wait for a proper programable piggyback for our ECU's so we don't have to rely on Nissan anymore.

good looking out Dicky South on the Clearwater Dealership!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.