Nissan Titan Forum banner

2008 Titan SE--What is this noise I'm hearing???

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  challenger3x2 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2008 SE with 127k miles on it. It seems to have been very well taken care of.

But,,,,I have noticed that when I get up to about 50mph, I can hear a hollow kind of hum. Its hard to determine where it is coming from, but it seems to be under the cab. When I'm on the gas,it is constant. When I let off of the gas and the truck starts slowing down, the hum slows down. But I can hear it catching and releasing as it slows.

Am I having Trans issues? Drive train? I read on here that you can unknowingly put the truck in tow mode. How do I check that?

Any help would be a godsend.

#3 ·
I have ruled out the tires. It sounds the same no matter what surface I drive on. Asphalt, concrete, smooth road or rough road.
When I get up to speed and I hit that sweet spot where I'm not giving it gas, but not decelerating either, it almost goes away.
Also, when I let off of the gas and start to decelerate, it makes a "Waa,Waa,Waa" noise as I can feel the truck downshifting (maybe) or maybe the engine slowing me down. Whatever it is that slows you down without using the brake.

#4 ·
With 127K miles, my suspicion is wheel bearings. I had my front driver side replaced at about 105K miles. It was making a very annoying humming noise once I got over 30 MPH. If I remember correctly, it cost about $750, with a premium part replacement from my favorite local mechanic. No doubt the dealer would have cost much more...

#5 ·
Check the driveshaft U joints.

#6 ·
I have to ask, does the noise happen more often on wet roads around 49-53 mph or so? Are you running a bed cover?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.