Nissan Titan Forum banner

Towing

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Canadian Miner 
#1 ·
Ive made three posts inquiring about 5th wheel towing with a 2013 titan premium tow and ut pack. Ive had o responses so I quess no titan owner has towed a fifth wheel and there is no knowledge on hitches for short beds ? If you know please advise

#8 ·
From what I've read the revolution pin box will provide clearance for a 6.5" bed to haul a fifth wheel without a sliding hitch. It may work with some trailers and the 5.5" bed, to find out which trailers you'll need to research and test the fit before buying.

Pin Weight is a real concern with a half-ton truck.

• GVWR = Vehicle Weight + Payload
  • Manufactures listed payload generally includes all fluids and a 150 lbs driver
  • Nissan lists the Payload of a SL Crew Cab as 1501 lbs
  • 1501 lbs >= Passenger Weight (excluding 150 lbs) + Accessory Weight + Cargo Weight + Hitch Weight + Pin Weight
  • Pin Weight is approximately 15-25% of the Trailer Weight

"A general rule is that the tongue weight of a fifth wheel trailer is typically about 20 percent of the gross trailer weight." (e-trailer.com)​

Example 1: Husband (200lbs), Wife (150lbs), Kids (200lbs combined), Hitch (~150lbs), and no other accessories or cargo.

• 200 + 150 + 200 + 150 - 150 (included in manufactures payload = 550 lbs
  • 1501 lbs Payload - 550 lbs Load = 951 lbs for Pin Weight
  • At ~20% Pin Weight --> 951 / 0.2 = ~4755 lbs Gross Trailer Weight

A 7200 lbs (empty) trailer is a over our ~4755 lbs allowable example.

Example 2: 7200 lbs trailer, 800 lbs trailer load (propane, linens, clothing, plates, pots and pans...), 200 lbs husband, 150 lbs wife, 150 lbs hitch, no kids, no cargo.

• 7200 + 800 = 8000 lbs Gross Trailer
  • 8000 * 0.2 = ~1600 lbs Pin Weight --- Over our payload
  • 1600 + 150 (hitch) + 200 (husband) + 150 (wife) - 150 (included in payload) = 1950 lbs

1950 lbs is over any Titan configuration I'm aware of. It is just within the numbers provided for the Titan XD, but maybe not with a couple more passengers.

#9 ·
Canadian Miner is right - pin weight poses the biggest challenge.

I pull a 5th wheel with my 2005 5.5" bed using a Sidewinder pin box and it works great. No clearance issues at all.

My 5th wheel's pin weight is relatively low at 880 lbs, but after factoring in the weight of the hitch in the bed I can only have 2 passengers in the vehicle. Any more than that and I am over the truck's payload capacity.

The dry weight of my 5th wheel trailer is 5,560 lbs.

#10 ·
I ended up buying a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 3150ds, 6600 dry. dkmura, you said i should add some air springs and other tow equipment. Like What? i have the weight disbursement hitch and anti sway, but what other tow equipment would you recommend? as well, the air springs, is that something the average person can install or is that something a dealer really needs to?

#13 ·
Guys, I own a 2009 Titan 5.6 SE Crew Cab with the tow package. My wife and I are contemplating purchasing a Travel Trailer that is listed at 7440 Lbs. which is within the tow rating of 9400 Lbs. We will get the anti sway package with weight distributing hitch. It sounds loke my Titan should be able to handle. I am looking for opinions. Thanks

#14 ·
Travel Trailer

Titan 09, here is what i would tell you. My 12, has a 9000 capacity, i bought a trailer that has a 6600 dry weight to it. it tows it ok, but the shifting sucks. i am not happy with the way my Tranny is acting on up hill or even moderate grade pulls.

If you have never used an anti-sway, weight dist. hitch, ask questions. i hadnt, and i was doing it totally wrong and it makes a huge difference just in how the truck rides. personally...i wouldnt buy one that heavy. look at www.heartlandrvs.com they have amazing trailers and the weights are lighter than many of the other manufacturers when i was looking.

#16 ·
Titan 09, here is what i would tell you. My 12, has a 9000 capacity, i bought a trailer that has a 6600 dry weight to it. it tows it ok, but the shifting sucks. i am not happy with the way my Tranny is acting on up hill or even moderate grade pulls.

If you have never used an anti-sway, weight dist. hitch, ask questions. i hadnt, and i was doing it totally wrong and it makes a huge difference just in how the truck rides. personally...i wouldnt buy one that heavy. look at www.heartlandrvs.com they have amazing trailers and the weights are lighter than many of the other manufacturers when i was looking.
What are your specific complaints with the transmission when towing? Are you using Tow Haul Mode? Are you selecting "4th" (the drive gear), or "D" (Over Drive)?

#15 ·
Travel Trailer

Mojo,
Thanks for your input. The more I read about towing and the capabilities, safety, etc. I am having second thoughts about the weight. We are looking at a Keystone Passport 32FB which has a weight of 6485 vs. the 7440 of the other trailer. I think I am feeling more comfortable with that weight.

We will definitely spend the money to get an anti-sway and weight distributing hitch which will put my mind at ease more. I will take a look at the Heartland Wilderness as well. My wife is looking for a certain floor plan so it has limited the search a little.

#17 ·
Mojo,
Thanks for your input. The more I read about towing and the capabilities, safety, etc. I am having second thoughts about the weight. We are looking at a Keystone Passport 32FB which has a weight of 6485 vs. the 7440 of the other trailer. I think I am feeling more comfortable with that weight.

We will definitely spend the money to get an anti-sway and weight distributing hitch which will put my mind at ease more. I will take a look at the Heartland Wilderness as well. My wife is looking for a certain floor plan so it has limited the search a little.
I think you'll be happier towing a 6500 lbs trailer than a 7500 lbs trailer. After adding two full propane tanks, all your gear, food and the weight of the weight distributing hitch the 7500 lbs trailer is going to be close to a Titan's maximum.

Our 29BHS scales in just under 6500 lbs with propane tanks in. I scaled it and the truck at a local truck stop for $30 to confirm weights and "tune" the weight distributing hitch. My hitch weight is approximately 800 lbs and the truck sits level.

A couple of things to consider to improve your towing experiance:
- Properly adjusted weight distributing hitch (must)
- Timbren SES (http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/ (good cheap)
- Air Bags (better...not cheap)
- D or E Rated LT Tires (strongly recommended)
- Traction Bars (nice to have)
- UpRev Tuned (decreased downshifting, less throttle to maintain the same speed...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.