Nissan Titan Forum banner

It's here the new titan

20K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Canadian Miner 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Not as exciting as I hoped. It really feels like they just kinda caught up to everyone else vs putting the new truck-to-beat out there. Won't be buying one. Looks like a Ford f'ed a Ram and 9 months later, this popped out.

One of the things I like about the current truck is the rear seat folding up so my dogs have all that floor space that utilizes the full height of the cab. The new one looks like is flips down like the Fronty. Not a fan.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-nissan-titan-xd-detroit-2015/#image-38

#5 ·
I am reserving judgment until I see it in person. I am hoping that Nissan replaced the Philadelphia zone rep. as that person didn't want to sell Titans -- after 2008 the Titan disappeared off the floor at the Philadelphia Auto Show. Well, I am going this February and expect that this new T will be on the floor. Yes, the front looks like a Ford, but what is the best seller? Few people appreciated the clean avant-garde advanced styling of the 2004 - 2015 Titan. Lots more like that "trowel more chrome-plated plastic on that front of that Ford" look. I hope they sell a lot of them. Maybe we get lucky and the gas powered non-XD models are more restrained. Glad to read the rear end has been changed to a beefy unit. Again, I hope its on the floor in Philly.

#6 ·
Honestly I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah I may have wanted it to look a little more like a Titan and a little less like a Pathfinder matted with an F-150. I also wanted to maintain the large rear slider, and given the option I'd delete those side vents.

I'm part of the "150,000" buyers that cannot decide between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. I'm also one who regularly debates gas vs diesel. Up until now a 3/4 ton, or 1 ton, diesel was too much truck for too much money, a 3/4 ton gas was too hard on fuel for not much more capacity than the right 1/2 ton, and most 1/2 tons are too light and/to underpowered for my use. The Titan XD may be my perfect mix/size.

I'm happy to see a stronger frame, made with plowing and trailer towing in mind. The heavier front differential and rear axle should cure two of the current Titan's fatal flaws. If Cummins designs the exhaust manifolds it should take care of a third one.

What I still need to see is the detailed features and options on the SV and the SL. The Platnum and Pro-4x models mean nothing to me. I need to know I can get all the features and capcities I need with seating for six in a Crew Cab with at least a 6.5' box. So far all I see for sure is the Crew Cab 6.5' box will be the first configuration available, but if these trucks are only available with a centre console I'm out.

Hopefully the final payload and towing numbers will go up a little bit. It would be good to match the 2015 F-150's maxium payload 3,300 lbs (assuming payload package, reg cab, long box, 2wd), and exceed its towing capacity of 12,200 lbs. 3,500 lbs and 14,000 lbs sounds good to me.

Reading between the lines a bit it appears the standard Titan will be reviled later this year with a 5.6 making 400 hp and ~400 ft-lbs, and a V6 option, backed by 7-speed transmission(s). It will have its own frame, which it will sit lower on (thank goodness). I'd also say it will have a different front grill and hood, based on not housing the Cummins motor and the required cooling.

#7 ·
So did anyone else notice how far out the front tow hooks stick out?

CRAP!!! I now NEED a pay raise so that I can buy my wife a new car and then get an XD! Yes I am liking the new Titan. I am glad they moved the shifter to the column. Extra space in the center console. I like the 6.5' bed, the current 5' I have is too small. And finally I kinda like the look of being a cross breed b/w a Ford and Dodge.

But I am sure the price for the XD Cummins in the PRO-4X model will be pushing the 50k range...

#10 · (Edited)
So did anyone else notice how far out the front tow hooks stick out?

YES They're a complete afterthought, look ridiculous and impede the approach angle significantly. One article noted that the tow hooks now have covers to improve aerodynamics. That means one of three things:

1. 1. The statement is wrong,
  2. 2. The statement applies to the standard Titan, not the "body-lifted" XD, or
  3. 3. The Tow Hooks shown will not be on the production trucks and the actual tow hook is behind a cover in the bumper.

I want '3' to be correct, but I'm assuming '1', '2' and 'afterthought' at least for the XD.

#8 ·
I'm wondering if the standard Titan will look any differant then the XD? I bet they offer a floor shifter on the standard Titan, usually you don't get them in the heavier duty trucks but probably the standard one.

#9 ·
I would think trucks equipped with the Nissan transmission vs the Asin will have the console shift option.

From the articles I've read I expect the 'nose' and hood to look significantly different on the standard Titan. The reason for this is the space requirements to package the Cummins and provide enough frontal area for the cooling system. Also the body should be set down on the frame, without the 'body-lift' look of the XD.

#11 ·
For those in LA...please take a camera with you.

Only days after Detroit world debut, all-new Nissan full-size pickup to make three weekend appearances in Southern California
LOS ANGELES – Yesterday, the all-new 2016 Nissan TITAN XD made a dramatic world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Michigan. This coming weekend, one of the very same TITAN XDs that commanded the stage in Detroit – a striking "SolarFlare Yellow" PRO-4X model - will make a special series of appearances more than 2,300 miles away in southern California for some special public showings.

Nissan fans can follow along via Twitter via the hashtag #NissanTITAN and will be able to take photos and share their thoughts on the new full-size pickup. They may also receive special TITAN keepsakes at each spot.

The 2016 TITAN XD, a ground-up redesign of Nissan's full-size pickup, will offer more power, capability, utility and variety to truck customers than its predecessor when it goes on sale late this year, including an all-new Cummins 5.0L Turbo Diesel V8 powerplant.

The current schedule for the 2016 TITAN XD PRO-4X display is as follows:

Saturday, January 17

8 to 10 a.m. (PST) – 4 Wheel Parts Superstore, located at 400 W. Artesia Blvd. in Compton
1 to 7 p.m. (PST) - Dirt Rider/Nissan TITAN Meet-Up @ Supercross, 2390 E. Orangewood Ave., Anaheim (off-street parking lot directly across from Angel Stadium).
Sunday, January 18

7 to 10 a.m. (PST) - Super Car Sunday at the Westfield Promenade Mall, Woodland Hills

#13 ·
LOL..leave it to you Ron! Two of these bad boys driving down Rt.22 would be nice! Hope all is well with you.

Steve

#14 ·
Not a fan. Maybe the gasser will look different. Like Miner said, I've read it's supposed to have a different front fascia.

#15 ·
This thread needs pictures.

#18 ·
It comes out, its detailed in one of the Nissan releases.

#19 ·
Today's brainstorm - Factory Air Bag Option. I'm hoping the low payload numbers they've been stating are either a lie or limited by the rear springs. If that's the case Nissan could offer a factory air bag option and bump the payload and GVWR numbers up ~1000 lbs to equal the Ford's with the payload package. This assumes the rear GAWR isn't a limiting factor.

Another option would be a Factory Overload Leaf setup, which is what the F-350 uses. This is probably a more reliable option than the airbags, and it requires little maintenance and no adjusting by the operator. Oveload leafs would provide similar capacity and equal unloaded ride quality, however the loaded ride quality wouldn't be as good (or adjustable) as the air bags.

We can add either from the after-market, however Nissan needs to include them as factory options if the current GVWR and payload ratings need to be higher to meet the needs of users and truly slate the truck in between the current 1/5 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

#20 ·
fdresq4, I don't see a silver XD. I do like the black one, of course. The lock on the glove box is long overdue. Nice big pumpkin. The column mounted shifter looks a lot like the one on my T! One thing I would like would be roof mounted cab (clearance) lights. These photos show less aggressive tow hooks. The lawyers must have reviewed the brochure photos. Shucks, no Impaler edition.

#21 ·
After further review. I think I will withhold judgment until I see one in person. After all. I had no idea I would own a titan back in 08 when I was looking to buy corvette until I laid eyes on her. Then the sales guy said "look at this beautiful truck, let's take it for a test drive" the rest was history...now she sits in my driveway just as beautiful as the first day

#22 ·
The black one in the photos is at the Philadelphia Auto Show. I saw it Saturday. Again, Nissan must not want to sell Titans in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. Why do I say this? Because there was absolutely no information on the truck. Just the truck, locked and roped off. No literature and not even a sign board. Maybe it was last minute for Philadelphia. Anyway, it is a beautiful truck, as beautiful as a Ford F-150. It was difficult to see inside, but the dash looks similar to the F-150 with the touch screen taking the center of the dash. It was hard to see the details and impossible to see in the rear of the cab. Looking underneath, it doesn't look all that much different from the existing truck. The rear end pumpkin is smaller that I thought, it looks about the same size as our Dana 44s but no finned aluminum cover. No rear step, but a very high rear bumper. The hood was open and there were comments about it sharing the engine out of the Dodge made by people who obviously cannot count or understand the difference between a straight and a V-engine -- they just see "Cummins." It lacks the avant-gaard touches our trucks have, such as the round door handle indents covered by the bowed-out handles imitating the Nissan "hamburger." The side of the cab is curved in the rear, however, and someone must have spent a year designing the center-mounted stop light combination bed light. The cab is not sealed to the bed. There is a small piece of weatherstrip that takes up half the gap, glued to the bed side. The bed inside and out is nearly identical except for the busy tail gate design but there is no outside storage door. Otherwise, it is a very nice replica of last year's Ford F-150. Nothing on the outside distinguishes it from the competition. I wish they had not tried so hard to fit in because one thing I like about my and your Titan is that it doesn't look like everybody else's F-150. One thing I didn't like and I hope they can change is that the exterior of the "chrome" wheels appears to be chrome-plated plastic, e.g. "chrome clad." Don't get me wrong -- it is a nice truck, but appearance-wise, not the breakthrough we all hoped for.

#23 ·
I'm disappointed with that description of how the box meets the cab. I don't want to go back to Ford style gaps in the body, especially ones that let you see straight through the middle of your truck.

#24 ·
The box meets the cab similarly to how it does in the current truck, but as if a piece of black weatherstrip had been added to the bed, only taking up half the gap. It does not touch the cab. I had read that the gap was sealed, but it really isn't. I think its only there for aerodynamics.

Also at the Philadelphia Auto Show is an American vs. Import section of show vehicles and in that is a very nice Titan King Cab, silver, with about a 6" lift, nice wheels and mud tires, fender flares, and some other accessories. Lots of Plasti-Dip, so it must belong to someone on this forum.

#26 ·
Any news when the non-XD trucks will be released?

It's been 3 months since any new information has been released, which means two things: people will forget about it, and enthusiasts are getting board and impatient.

#29 ·
I actually think the center console is a waste of space. Anyone seen the bench-seat option yet?
So far no information, not even pictures, on the S or SV. No information if they'll offer a bench on the SL. I doubt it will be offered on the Pro4x or the Platinum Reserve.

Final weight specifications, 6 passenger seating, and pricing is what I need to make a buying decision. Every additional day I wait for the information my wallet shifts farther to the new F-150.

#31 ·
I'm about convinced that the 2015 Titan is more myth
than reality.
I'll look for it in 2016? Maybe,maybe not only time will tell. Much hype about nothing, very disappointed.
The 2015 Titan is real...just the same truck that was released in 2004 with some small tweaks.

The 2016 Titan XD is "expected late 2015"...which may mean sometime in 2016.

The 2016 Titan (standard, not XD) is a myth until Nissan proves otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.