Nissan Titan Forum banner

Bad vibration problem

44K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Kingpin titan 04 
#1 ·
In the last couple of months I get a very noticeable vibration and rumble at low speeds. The entire truck shakes. It always seems to happen as I am making or completing a left turn at low speeds. The first time it happened I thought it was a blown tire.
I figured it must be a transmission or rear end problem so I took the truck to a local transmission shop that has been here for over 30 years. They told me that I probably got water in the transmission since this is a common problem with high mileage trucks. They also said that they have rebuilt quite a few of these transmissions, that they cannot hold up to heavy usage. I had the tranny and rear end serviced and everything was ok for about 30 days and now I have gotten the vibration another two times, both after left turns. I went and talked to one of the service writers at my local Nissan dealer and he said that they have not had any vibration problems and he did not know what could be causing it but he did say it was more likely a rear end problem.
The local shop is advising me to rebuild the tranny as there was a little bit of metal in the pan and that if I wait (since the truck is running fine) I will probably also need to replace the tranny controller as the metal will ruin it.
Anyway, I am in a dilemma. Since the truck runs great I don't want to spend $2 to $3,000 on a rebuild and that may not even be the problem. I have 130k miles on the truck so it is probably not worth a lot. Anyone out there have the same problem? Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing the vibration? I have new tires so I know it is not tire or wheel related.
Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
water in what?

high mileage titans get water in transmission? sounds like,,,I have 136500 on mine no water in tranny sorry,,, open up your diff cover. Did you see them drain the fluid? did you see the Metal for yourself.:feuerkopf2-big:

#4 ·
They removed the bottom cover of the transmission and I did see a small amount of brass metal. The problem is getting worse, yesterday the truck vibrated badly at low speeds 4 times. I do not know where the shaking, vibration and noise are coming from but am very worried about taking any trips away from home as something is about to fail. I also can smell radiator fluid, the storage tank fluid level goes down and I can smell anti freeze but do not see any leaks.
Anyone have any idea what could be happening? Dealer says they do not have any tranny problems with this model.

#6 ·
4x4 Titans have an electronic locking rear differential. In 4Lo the locker can be engaged and it is like having a solid axle - both wheels turn and at the same speed. If the locker is engaged then going around corners will cause one of the wheels to bind up and it could vibrate.

I have not heard of Titans getting water in the transmission unless perhaps if the radiator has failed to keep the engine coolant and the transmission fluid separate.

The vibration could be a failing rear differential which was a common problem with 2004 to 2006 Titans. It could also be a bad u-joint in the drive shaft. Get under there are wiggle the joints to see if there is any slop. If you are a 4x2 then check the carrier bearing in the middle of the drive shaft.

Always post the year of your Titan and if it is 4x4 and 4x2 so we aren't posting things to check that don't apply.

#7 ·
My Titan is an 04, 2 wheel drive. Today the dealer checked the truck and did not find the problem. I have a small radiator leak at the bottom of the radiator an it needs to be replaced, very expensive at around $1000. I also need an oil pressure sender at $270, that really sounds pricey.
I will have the dealer check the driveshaft and wheel bearings but I fear I have a much bigger problem as the truck shakes quite violently some times at low speeds, the dealer could not duplicate.
Could it be an engine mount, wheel bearing? How about a problem with the rear end?

#8 ·
You can replace the rad yourself, there is a how to, aftermarket rads run around $200.
I would look at the steering rack mounts to see if the bushing are bad or the bolts have loosened up, there have been reports of the bolts being loose. A bad front hub may cause this also.

#9 ·
An engine mount could also be an issue but I would think you would feel that coming from the front. 4x4 had problems with the transmission mount (close to the output shaft) cracking and causing noise at low speed. I don't think that applies to the 4x2 but it's worth looking.

#10 ·
I have a 2006 titan se and my radiator started leaking and nissan said this was under a recall so if I was you I would look into this I do have low mileage so im not sure if this will help,good luck.I just put 22 inch wheels on my titan and in the back it shakes at 55 mile an hour i did an alignment and balance on them and I cant figure this out either.Also in the front at 20 to 25 mile an hour it vibrates in the front,when applying the brakes.

#12 ·
I have a similar problem, except mine is when I'm at a complete stop. It vibrates real bad unless im parked or in neutral. The vibrations get worse if I turn the wheel at all during a stop. We might have the same thing going on.

I had a problem with my lockers when trying to take it off 4 lo after riding some trails

#13 ·
Ok man I've just encountered the same problem on my 04 2wd and it is in fact the tranny my radiator busted leaking all my **** into the tranny actually happened in my garage I seen a huge two gallon puddle of tranny fluid which the fluid from the radiator pushed the tranny fluid out the over flow long story short a couple grand later and four flushes got everything out and now two months later which I was advised my happen my truck started shaking at a left turn horribly bad like those bumps on the highway but worse and stopped then it went away next day again it worse now I've parked it and going to tow it back to the ammco tranny shop but DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER they will lie and they will not fix it the radiator is not on a warranty I beleive bc of this but the 04 not many recalls for us.
The best thing man have it flushed the coolant is highly corrosive to the valve body in the tranny and I've looked at every possible thing to not have to deal with my transmission but I'm telling u now u need to stop driving and get it fixed before your left with a truck or new tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.