Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tires - Possibly a different question

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Misfit482 
#1 ·
As the title suggests, looking at some new tires, tread is getting low now that we have 22k on the stockers. Sucks for snow, but luckily not much snow this year. We are looking at the BFG AT KO's, but I had a few questions about them as we have a set for our Trailblazer. Right now our truck's ride is 1,000,000 x better than the blazer, and that's in part because of the tires. The BFG's are a bit bouncy with it, moreso at highway speeds. I like the ride and feel when we are driving less than 50mph. I also like the BFG's in the snow and offroad, tires are amazing. It takes effort to slide the Trailblazer around with those on. Ok, now for the Titan, it's heavier and longer so will it be as bouncy? We love the tires, but what happens to the ride at highway speeds? 65-80mph?

#3 ·
The ride will be firmer, no "bounce" with the LT rated BFG ATs compared to the P rated stock tires. Biggest difference will be felt when loaded or towing as the stiffer side-walls will not deflect like the stockers.

#4 ·
Come to the meet on the 25th and you can see my Toyo Open Country AT LT tires. The ride is very close to what I have with the OEM tires. I doubt you could tell the difference.

However, I have to say that I don't think these tires are very good in slick conditions. The tread depth is quite impressive, so they do well in deeper stuff. They do well off-road here in Colorado. Because of how heavy they are my MPG suffers.

#6 ·
BFG's in wet

However, I have to say that I don't think these tires are very good in slick conditions. The tread depth is quite impressive, so they do well in deeper stuff. They do well off-road here in Colorado. Because of how heavy they are my MPG suffers.
I agree with this! BFG AT/KO's are great for things that they can grip but on hard surfaces, the contact patch is sacrificed.

#5 ·
Toyo now has an improved Open Country AT-II tire. I wanted to buy those this spring but they were backordered throughout the country. I bought Kumho SAT and am very happy with them. The handling is great and they have a very open tread. Also, the Kumho SAT has the Mountain Snowflake, so its approved for driving in the snow. The ride is excellent, but as I said, the handling, especially the steering response, is excellent. You might want to look at these as they were a few dollars less.

#7 ·
I have always been partial to the pro comp tires. I have had mine now for around 50k miles. Just ordered a new set of Pro Comps but upgraded from the AT to the MT2.

#8 ·
I have also always been a BFG AT guy. They perform well everywhere but are not exceptional in any particular area. Making them the swiss army knife of tires. They wear like iron and mine always seem to wear quite evenly. However, after driving with a set of Goodyear Duratracs in the snow I was sold on them. For me my first criteria is winter capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.